What will happen to this forum after Lightwave departure from NewTek?

quakebox

Simple Question,

Will this Lightwave section still reside on NewTek forums or get removed after the complete trasfer to Lightwave Digital?

Last edited:
I think the forum moves over to the new site. However, due to an administrative mishap somewhere, they can't access things to start transferring data over...

Consign it to history, relevant learning is all on YouTube [and the manual if you look hard enough and can read] :p

Take care out in the wide world fellas (y)

Consign it to history, relevant learning is all on YouTube [and the manual if you look hard enough and can read] :p

Lightwave learning has been under heavy decline on youtube for quite some time, it doesn´t cover all the articles of insight and help that has been put up here on the forums for years.

So...no, make an archive of the forum somewhere.

The manual is flawed.

Not much changed in latest Lightwave from Lightwave 8 the rigging system is the same, maybe Gnoma was added in 10 and in 2018 PBR render and OpenVDB stuff that don't have any effect on rigging tutorials.

The good thing is you can still read old books and watch old tutorials and use the same techniques in the latest Lightwave. When it comes to rigging.

There are some new features in newer Lightwave like order of rotation to avoid gimbal lock but it's very simple to grasp and walk right through.

Rendering has changed with PBR it's easier now to use roughness metalness than spec gloss, physically based surfaces now can be made with less image maps.

Last edited:
I would hope that they would definitely archive this forum if unable to continue it because there is a depth of knowledge here in this forum that you can't really find anywhere else. But I do think there are several YouTube channels that are doing the best they can to keep things current. Some channels, like Bryan Phillips and Mark Warner, are particularly advanced.

I would hope that they would definitely archive this forum if unable to continue it because there is a depth of knowledge here in this forum that you can't really find anywhere else. But I do think there are several YouTube channels that are doing the best they can to keep things current. Some channels, like Bryan Phillips and Mark Warner, are particularly advanced.
Lightwave on youtube is bad currently, should be better really.
Can´t replace what´s in the forums, so yes...if not possible to transfer, it surely must be possible to archive the stuff.

I would hope that they would definitely archive this forum if unable to continue it because there is a depth of knowledge here in this forum that you can't really find anywhere else.
I had hoped that it would be possible to transfer the LW content on this forum to the new owners to incorporate into new forums they would host. I can tell you now, however, that this is all evidently quite difficult to achieve, and instead what will happen is much as you suspected. There is no intention to remove or hide this content here (at least in the near term) as it is obviously a treasure trove of useful knowledge (along with a fair bit of good humor and some tragedies, too). However, on or about the end of this month, the LW-related areas here will be marked read-only.

While this will mark a passage, my personal hope is that it will turn out to be the end of one and the beginning of a new chapter - written by many of the same loyal users, but hosted in an as yet unknown venue. When it happens, think of it not as goodbye, but rather “So long, and thanks for all the fish.:)

so what about an archive of the site? could someone not crawl it and keep the LW relevant sections?

Looks to me taking a complete copy of the site then just deleting the Tricaster & NDI sections etc would be the best option.

Last edited:
I had much the same thought, but am told the amount of data involved is so huge as to make that quite challenging.

One could also take a look at sections not posted in for ages, check which sections could have been of most value, and start by
Backing up those that was most active.

Perhaps outsource, agree to let users "rip" the Lightwave related data for archiving, help out with that job.

LightWave 3D User Community

LightWave 3D Support

LightWave 3D Technique Discussions

LightWave 3D For Developers

Those are the main ones, the rest with some connection would be Chronosculpt and Neuron motion, and general discussions from time to time.

aiv.png
bcwLfNX.gif

you know, it worries me a bit that all of it could be lost...

View attachment 156101
bcwLfNX.gif

you know, it worries me a bit that all of it could be lost...
Yes, of course, all those points I have..blah, but you know..this is where you should study...

Nothing last, not lightwave, not these forums, not the earth or the sun, we just have to live while we can and make the most of it (life) when it´s available to us, and not let the "never last" get in our way while doing so.

Back