Tutorials

Looking good Michael. I was going down the same route with density attached to a null, but you published first, so you get the credit! :)

I've also been getting interesting results by modifying gravity as well, I'll post something in the next day or so.

edit: That movie was my inspiration as well :D

Great..you had some promising stuff there too..keep posting, I think I got an interesting way of cracking up pieces in exact structure, it involves using the hidden csg slice tool and use that on a crack structure made with magic bevel, csg slice will cut exactly
according to the premade geometry, and further down the line you can crack those pieces with voronoi mode, so with that you should be able to desing how the cracks are going exactly by your own design..if that is what you want that is.

Not come across the CSG Slice tool yet, it amazes me what gems LW has hidden away in dusty cupboards... :)

edit: I quite often use the background points mode in Voronoi, it seems just a bit more controllable than others.

Not come across the CSG Slice tool yet, it amazes me what gems LW has hidden away in dusty cupboards... :)

edit: I quite often use the background points mode in Voronoi, it seems just a bit more controllable than others.

I often get too slow results when using points, probably I am not using it the right way.
About csg slice..yeah, a mystery why that was hidden, same with fill solid tool for filling objects with points, and also the explode parts command.

draw some simple shapes with the pen tool over a flat or extruded simple ground, extrude those shapes so they cover the area that is to be cut, then run csg slice, and directly after that use explode parts to see how it looks like, I have added csg slice
and explode parts to the fracture menu.

View attachment 125572

Michael

Attachments

• csg slice & explode parts.jpg
    csg slice & explode parts.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 372
think I will give up for today, something to be aware of when using gradients and distance ref objects, seems lightwave has issues evaluation some stuff depending on how the gradient is set up, right now it just choked and locked up lightwave.

These are the kind of obstacles that could make you loose passion for continuing projects.

think I will give up for today, something to be aware of when using gradients and distance ref objects, seems lightwave has issues evaluation some stuff depending on how the gradient is set up, right now it just choked and locked up lightwave.

These are the kind of obstacles that could make you loose passion for continuing projects.

Indeed, Bullet really is a half finished implementation. I really hope it gets some love in 12. Full nodal control would be nice.

i was having similar issues - and i totally give up bullet on these type of effects.. T - for gradient has - unpredictable effects... - even sometimes no effects.... i can confirm also it is a limited implementation.

i was having similar issues - and i totally give up bullet on these type of effects.. T - for gradient has - unpredictable effects... - even sometimes no effects.... i can confirm also it is a limited implementation.

I am quite convinced it should be doable...but someone needs to go in the frontline and discover ins and outs and what works and not, and that means swearing and sweating and spending a ot of time to go through the hoops so to speak.
and when you think you are almost there, then of course the lw team will release a new lightwave version with improved bullet dynamics to make all the stuff you have gone through much easier:D

I gave up for today, but that don´t mean I will take the bull at it´s horn again later.

here was my first stab at it, though I basicly just did a fast fracture without actually preparing it properly to crack more naturally.
and the dynamics are pretty much wrong since one would like to have the ground just sink collapse and not just fracture and fall down all together.
the fracture collaps is using a reference object and gradient set to that in the glue channel to release the glue, also used the same ref object with gradient set to distance to object in density channel, that means
there is no weight in the pieces until the ref object passes by, and thus the gravity isn´t affecting them until then.

If I got the time ..And feel for it, I might work on getting it look as a proper "sink"crumple collaps...if it is possible? probably after some testing and testing and testing x 10 or 20 times.

Michael

Hey Michael, that is an excellent result!!! can you post the scene file?...cant be bothered experimenting :(

I too was inspired by 2012...Love that stuff!!!!

Hey Michael, that is an excellent result!!! can you post the scene file?...cant be bothered experimenting :(

I too was inspired by 2012...Love that stuff!!!!

I will keep that in mind and might post it later, at least you are qualified to get it in your private box... since you are sharing so much yourself:D
I want to try and push it a little more before I do though.
so I have to get back on that, good to know that it might be promising though, it will inspire me to continue and push it a little more, so I just need to set a little time dedicated to that in the upcoming weeks.

Michael

No problems...take your time..

Just wanted to say...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just when you create Tutorials and learn something....a whole bunch of new stuff comes out!!!!!!!! Lightwave 2015. HEHEEEE some really nice features, but costs too much :(

No problems...take your time..

Just wanted to say...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just when you create Tutorials and learn something....a whole bunch of new stuff comes out!!!!!!!! Lightwave 2015. HEHEEEE some really nice features, but costs too much :(
Lol...I guess you could beg them to postpone the 2015 release, that will give you more time to do your...thing:D

I could use better fracture tools in there, but hey..maybe later, this update didn´t by first impression rock my bell though, so it will probably be a pass this time since 9.3

I need to check in to more with modo new dynamics and glues etc, and particle dynamics etc..sculpting and it´s voxel engine, and also check more on cinema and houdini, I throwed out a question about modo´s dynamic and asked how they would tackle this ground crack, and see if they can showcase a similar simulation, and if they run in to issues etc, I got a too technical description from the first poster so that didn´t make it clearer on wether or not someone has done it or not.

Im currently going trough some more breaking stuff with bullet, including revisiting particle fx linked kinematic objects as missile impacts.

Michael

Hey Michael...I'm kinda in the same boat as you now...I've just applied to do a Diploma and it looks as though I will have to change apps, maybe C4D or Max or maybe maya, as that's whats commonly used in the industry...lots of job opps if you have max experience. It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading to 2015 (since v9 as well) unless I can buy it with student discount.

Probably wont be doing anymore tutes...there's no point doing v 11 tutes with 2015 out....kinda feel like the genoma tute was a waste of time :(

Hopefully the newtek guys will make a bunch of new tutes for 2015.

Last edited:
Hey Michael...I'm kinda in the same boat as you now...I've just applied to do a Diploma and it looks as though I will have to change apps, maybe C4D or Max or maybe maya, as that's whats commonly used in the industry...lots of job opps if you have max experience. It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading to 2015 (since v9 as well) unless I can buy it with student discount.

Probably wont be doing anymore tutes...there's no point doing v 11 tutes with 2015 out....kinda feel like the genoma tute was a waste of time :(

Hopefully the newtek guys will make a bunch of new tutes for 2015.

I think I will do some stuff to showcase still, lightwave still rocks in many areas though I don´t think this release was what I had hoped for, it all depends on how the lw group will share and communicate a little bit more on the future roadmap, if I am left in the dark and is uncertain on wether or not sculpting tools,particle and voxel improvements will arrive soon or not?..and based on what we have seen now..I just can´t justify to put in too much work with Lightwave when I so desperatly have been crying out for some other enhancements I think should be there by now..and when those very same
features exists in other tools, then I need to test them out to verify if I would be satisfied with them.

Still doing particle and bullet sims with particlefx linked kinematics, need to repeat the actions in several situations and make sure I get it working in ( the back of my spine..Swedish direct translation) back of my head that is.

Michael

Last edited:
I tried a scene to make with Lightwave with hypervoxels (it is here in the WIP section) but couldn't get the look i wanted.
I had Hitfilm 2 already and it was very easy to do with it, even in my first try with the software.
Maybe i would have tried Fusion if came out earlier.

I wanted improvements in that aspect too.
What i learned from the last years was using more then one software.
Would be nice to make them all in Lightwave but looks like some things i want are still 1-2 versions away.

Ivan,

I just started watching the 1st rigging tute, and WOW. THANK YOU so much. I left character animation for a while, and have decided to come back to it (and pair it with game engine). Your Genoma rigging and animation videos are excellent.

I want to ask you a rookie question; several times you used a contextual pop up menu that popped up where your mouse clicked. This is a new function that I haven't seen before. Is this built into LW, or is it a plugin you purchased? I'd love to set something like this up; I loved maya's floating pop up menu that came up when you called for them right where your mouse is.

Thanks again for the tutes (and in advance to anyone who knows where I can dig up this pop up menu)?

GO LW15!

Hey All,

So the Genoma tute is up now.
This video is all about rigging, there is a second part to come all about animating and the workflows.

View attachment 125230

Boy have things changed...I have applied for a course and hope to get in (interview next week) and the software they use is Maya, zbrush, Nuke, Mentalray...I will have to learn all of them, principals are mostly the same (quietly confident).....I'll always have lightwave...but the industry standards are those apps, as it stands...you mention lightwave and people in the business get apologetic.."um I'm really sorry, nobody uses that software...it's maya or max" with that, let you down softly smile.

Hey Dillon...Thanks mate!!!!, the menus I think your talking about are the left, right and middle mouse button menus whilst you hold down "Control + Shift" ......to edit them "Alt-F10".

yep, LightWave is for smaller companies, freelancers, archviz artists.

"nobody" is not true, but "nobody" in the character animation industry, unfortunately, yes... :/

I'm gutted to hear you are not doing any more tutorials Ivan.

I have to say I've found your tutorials to be fantastic, a true joy, I was rigging walk cycles in minutes, the render composition and camera projection videos just great viewing.

Best of luck and thanks for all the time you spent on these mate!!

Cheers

Really sorry to hear about this Ivan. Thank you so much for your amazing tutorials. Please don't feel that just because 2015 is out that your rigging tut will be obsolete... there will be a number of users still on v11 for a while and your Rigging tut was so informative and detailed that it will still be useful.

Keep us posted on how the crossover to the other software goes. But in the meantime, I wish you all the luck for your new venture.

yep, LightWave is for smaller companies, freelancers, archviz artists.

"nobody" is not true, but "nobody" in the character animation industry, unfortunately, yes... :/

Hey erikals..unfortunately here in oz, it actually is the case...arch viz is all done using max, vray (all the jobs advertised specify this very clearly) Not one job add has ever mention lightwave...if it did, I would jumped on it and made them hire me, its just the way it is...i'll keep using it for my freelance work for sure!!! If anyone knows of a production house in Melbourne Aust that uses lightwave, please let me know who they are so I can stalk them until they hire me lol!!

As far as the tutse go, there still might be some stuff to do, just have to wait for lw 2015 to settle in with bugs ironed out and then see if there's anything that might need to be updated tute wise such as Genoma II, I had a look at it and I think I know what they have done...IF I understand it correctly, you can create individual bone and set the parameters for its operation yourself...trying to see the initial advantages of it, still think the presets for genoma I are super quick...I guess genoma II allows for complete flexibility...just depends on your needs, the new bullet constraints stuff, probably needs a tute as well, hopefully newtek will make both tutes. LINO!!!! come on buddy!!!

When I think about it $500 to upgrade to an awesome 3D app such as lw2015 is a crap load better than $6000.00 or $3000.00 for an upgrade for maya lol!!! not buying it for that!!!! (if I get into the course...I'll check the student price, which will probably be around the same if not more then lw2015....if they think I suck, then I guess i'll upgrade to lw 2015 at some stage and keep doing my thing)

There are a few tutes i still want to do, that dont really require lw2015, just have to wait and see where my journey takes me from here.

How do you get the Lw 2015 manual????????????

Last edited:
Back