RenderMan/RIS renderer for LightWave3D

trying to figure out more about RenderMan, found some old LW vs RenderMan info here >
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-349427.html

do note that LightWave these days has excellent motion blur, and you can even use some DPont tricks to cut down rendertime further.

the minus i find with RenderMan is the render quality, it's best used for NPR renders / movies as far as i can tell...
in this regard it can't compete with Kray / Vray / Octane...

correct me if i'm wrong...

It is early to make tests with LiRis about rendering speed, a lot of features are not supported yet, but in theory the bidirectional path tracer solver of RIS should be a lot faster than the current Arnold unidirectional path tracer to render scenes with a lot of lights and interior archviz style scenes. But the Arnold development team is growing really fast, so I am sure that soon we are going to see nice new features on the Arnold side.

The cool thing is that LightWave next year is going to support the two standard rendering engines in the VFX and animation world ;)

-Juanjo

Really awesome, thanks :)
Have you started selling the Arnold LW implementation yet?

I am working on it, but I don't have a release date at all. I have some issues with the PRMAN API, and there is a lot of work to do.

-Juanjo

There are reasons why the film industry does not use it. It started out as a great bolted on alternative to MAX's lack of rendering skills and it should have stayed that way.

I call that BS. Vray is used a lot in productions, both for film as well as television. I would argue that is more used than LW these days.

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_3ds_max/gallery/vray_in_avatar.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CACbekH2RrY (OLD...from 2013)
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/tron_legacy_face_off/ (several shots of digital humans were rendered with VRay)

That said, Arnold and Octane are slowly taking over and LW (as a renderengine) is behind that curve with a huge margin.

Any news about the progress of the plug-in, Juanjo?

Currently this project is on hold. I am really busy with the LW Octane and Arnold plugins, among other projects, that I want to have updated and production ready over any other plugin, and this two rendering plugins are my priority now. I want to work again in the RIS plugin as soon as I can get some free time, but I don't have any estimated time about when it could be ready for alpha/beta testing.

-Juanjo

Very good. Thanks a lot for the clarification and extended explanations, Juanjo.

I have been testing your integration of Octane, while checking alternative renderers for a project I'm working on, and yours it's a beauty to work on. Very nice job indeed. That's mainly why I was wondering if such a fine integration would be available for LightWave and Renderman/RIS.

Good to know you're busy. Keep them coming! :)

So looks like Renderman for lightwave is a long long way off then now. Shame. Arnold for LW looks good though.

Glad to hear there is someone working on this ... would you be looking for any coding assistance to speed up the process ... or are you happier working on it alone ...

Currently this project is on hold. I am really busy with the LW Octane and Arnold plugins, among other projects, that I want to have updated and production ready over any other plugin, and this two rendering plugins are my priority now. I want to work again in the RIS plugin as soon as I can get some free time, but I don't have any estimated time about when it could be ready for alpha/beta testing.

-Juanjo

Any further development on this yet? Such a shame. Was really looking forward to seeing this.

Any further development on this yet? Such a shame. Was really looking forward to seeing this.

Juanjo is probably too busy with houdini renderer plugins. Don't think he has time for lightwave, exept to support octane 3. Hopefully he still does octane 4.

Maybe some rich LW user could bribe him, place him in front of a PC and say we want renderman? (Lol just kidding Juanjgon ;) ) I hope some day maybe, we will see a renderman plugin. Other software always seem to get the good pluggins and miss out LW.

Really disappointed this never arrived...now having to learn blender to get use of renderman. So first we don't see this great plugin, and second we are left hanging for years on what seems like a fantasy new LW release. I love LW but it's really falling behind now :/ My biggest gripe is fiber fx which is so flakey. Having tried Blender, it's hair renderer is much better and styling is better to control. OK that's my Sunday belly aching over with lol. Please give us LWNext Newtek and have us all cheering again :p

Back