RenderMan/RIS renderer for LightWave3D

So, how does this go really? One day, you woke up and thought... I'm bored, let's implement some render engines in LW?

Truly impressive!

You alone make it possible to use LW in other pipelines and have the same render result as other, more expensive 3D software would have with that same render engine. I think this makes LW a lot more attractive for freelancers.

Euhm, what's the next renderengine on your mind?

Juanjo, you are a machine !!! :D

Very impressive to say the least, looking forward to this plugin evolution, i've always been a huge fan of RenderMan engines.
As you seem to be "on fire", would you still have some time to think about a Thea Render plugin ? ;)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

Juanjo - I really wonder how you are going to keep up with all these? Is the programming between all these similar enough that it's not going to be an issue? It just seems like too much for any one person to keep updated and add features etc. etc.. Some insights please. ---- BTW THANKS!!!!!

Hopefully never!

Hopefully asap.

Many artists are using other apps because of Vray... at a high cost as well. If a low cost solution like LightWave would have Vray, it would make LW a lot more attractive.

I know that you do not like Vray. Alot of others would want to see it though. And, the more options LW has for rendering, the better it is, imho. :)

EDIT: My point is... you do not have to use Vray in LW if you do not want to. Saying "NO" to renderengines for LW is just backward thinking.

Hopefully this will also work with the LW volumetric system but more important with TFD fluids. It's a bummer TFD won't render in Arnold and Octane.

Hopefully asap.

Many artists are using other apps because of Vray... at a high cost as well. If a low cost solution like LightWave would have Vray, it would make LW a lot more attractive.

I know that you do not like Vray. Alot of others would want to see it though. And, the more options LW has for rendering, the better it is, imho. :)

EDIT: My point is... you do not have to use Vray in LW if you do not want to. Saying "NO" to renderengines for LW is just backward thinking.

Personally I have to use VRay now at work with Maya. And yes, I do not like it. It's bolted on. Something is wrong when you have to convert shaders to render TYPE. Basically you are better off getting their standalone and exporting. It's a renderer that rely's on controlling everything for the user they way it wants it. It does not make you a better artist, in fact the opposite, since most don't even understand what is going on.. Guess most don't care. You can just look at an image and tell if it was rendered with it since it ties your hands behind your back. Everything looks the same in VRAY..

There is a reason it's not on Lightwave. Lightwave users understand lighting and surfacing and Vladimir Koylazov knows it, besides the fact he had said there are not enough users for him to make money and so they won't port it over. I call ******** on that. For those that have not tried, truly try VRay on something and dig deep into the surfacing. There are reasons why the film industry does not use it. It started out as a great bolted on alternative to MAX's lack of rendering skills and it should have stayed that way.

Juanjo is truly blessing us by bringing film accepted and award winning renderers to Lightwave and he's doing it the right way by integrating it correctly. In fact LW's integration is 10x better than Maya's on the Arnold side. Thank you Juanjo and keep up the great work.

Last edited:
I wonder about this too? HOW does Renderman compare to Arnold? Speed vs quality.

It is early to make tests with LiRis about rendering speed, a lot of features are not supported yet, but in theory the bidirectional path tracer solver of RIS should be a lot faster than the current Arnold unidirectional path tracer to render scenes with a lot of lights and interior archviz style scenes. But the Arnold development team is growing really fast, so I am sure that soon we are going to see nice new features on the Arnold side.

The cool thing is that LightWave next year is going to support the two standard rendering engines in the VFX and animation world ;)

-Juanjo

Last edited:
Back