OD UberPass

oliverhotz

Hi everyone.

I proudly present OD_UberPass to you (not part of ODTools). Its been a dream of mine to have something like this, and finally being able to realize it and I hope you guys will see and understand how incredibly useful this is. There'll be more videos to come, because its simply impossible to show the power of it within a couple minutes. Most other applications have some "system" like this but none that I am aware of, have a system that's this encompassing and easy to use as this is.

The realization of this dream, would not have been possible without the incredible help of the Lightwave Developers. Thanks for hanging in there and allowing and helping me and other 3rd Party devs to realize their visions.

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/267476272

Enjoy !

bit more advanced that that... i dont think you can share states across multiple machines/internet in 3dsmax while working on the same scene.

Locally there's xref. Internet feature no.
Its too bad this isn't native. I was asking for this in lightwave for more than 10 years.
Mike Green has a more basic version of this.

Oh, geez, Oliver! I'm very excited about this one. I tend to render everything out of LightWave for compositing and routinely breakout several passes and control mattes manually. I can't wait to try your system.

There have been many previous attempts at this sort of tool for LightWave but they never lasted. Knowing how devoted you've been to LightWave, I have a very positive feeling about OD Uberpass' future.

Good luck and please keep up the excellent work!

We've made a Renderpass tool like that several years before that we are using everyday like our secret magic powerful tool, (using it with evil laught...) but i have to admit that what you have done, is so superior. It looks so fast and powerful. I have to rethink about update to 2018. Damned.

No really sure i understand what UberPass. is. I see the video and read renderpass, but it looks more like configuration state save.

Looks really good, Something lightwave has been missing. Any chance you can unify lightwave for us now????

No really sure i understand what UberPass. is. I see the video and read renderpass, but it looks more like configuration state save.
Yes, that's exactly what a render pass is.

OD UberPass should be incredibly useful if you composite. I've worked on scenes in the past where things had to be broken out into many dozens of elements, control masks and buffer channels, and a tool like this would make managing all these layers so much easier. Without a tool like this, you have to manually create and save many separate scenes in different 'states'. And if something major changes in your master scene (like the camera animation for example,) you might potentially have to update all of these 'states' manually. OD UberPass does away with the tedium by keeping all this work in one window in a master scene.

There have been other third party tools like this in the past but UberPass looks more streamlined and a lot easier to use. Plus, it works with 2018! :)

Can't wait to try it myself.

Last edited:

Its the same as other scene state systems in other appz. So its more than a render pass system.
Not sure if this plugin could also create like different versions of a model in the scene without having to save the lwo variations since lightwave is still split lws lwo.
In a unified app you dont need to do that its all in one file.

Its the same as other scene state systems in other appz. So its more than a render pass system.
Not sure if this plugin could also create like different versions of a model in the scene without having to save the lwo variations since lightwave is still split lws lwo.
In a unified app you dont need to do that its all in one file.

Yeah. its quite a bit more than a render pass system... I'd actually go as far as saying thats maybe 5% of it... but.. it was a cool name, so I stuck with it. The whole point of it was to make it totally brainless to use, and with ONE place, where people find everything. In a lot of other apps (especially for segmented restores) you have to dig down and its very clicky to use. All things I avoided with this implementation. It will also never save a scene or object (until rendertime, and thats automated with the breakout passes)... but while working with it, it never does and thats one of the huge benefits, especially when you are working with multiple people on the same content.. You never have to worry about transfering 100's of MB of meshes to make sure someone has the latest version of something. The pass files that uberpass creates are very very small and it lends itself to easily share them on dropbox or other solutions. Its just a very simple, carefree workflow.

Oliver, I wonder if you maybe could automate the creation of the required UP folder (so the user can just open the plugin and start creating passes / states).

1) based on a user preference, it could generate it automatically in the current content location

and/or (I would prefer this)

2) in automatically created subfolders below a (configurable) custom base folder. The subfolders could named like 'up_<timestamp>_randomid' or 'up_scenefilename_sequencenumber' and the name would be known / referenced to the plugin / scene file.

I very specifically dont do that, because not everyone is using the same type content structure, so I am not forcing anyone to use any specific structure, plus... you want to be able to define it, again, depending what you are doing, it could be a dropbox folder sharing online.. not related to your content structure at all. Those choices, were made very deliberately.

Back