Note from Andrew Bishop on Changes to the LightWave Digital Sales Page

As posted by Deuce Bennett on the Discord Server:

This is from Andy - he's a bit busy - so he's asked me to post on his behalf --

Hey guys,

As you know we have been working on refining the website, so it is easier for you to understand and fixing the payment platform difficulties, that many of you experienced. Some of the issues seem to have been to do with currency and tax, because we are a UK-based company and prices were flipping between dollars, pounds and back to dollars again. So, we are told the best solution is to price everything in GB pounds then the platform can do the work for us. Let's hope that fixes things. This change will be happening at midday on Friday.

We've had some questions on the shares that we are including as a gift for pre-ordering your upgrade, so we've put together some FAQs which we will be adding to the site for you. Hopefully that will give you some more information and help answer many of your questions. We're also expanding the Meet the Team tab, so you can get to see some more of the people involved in LightWave Digital, we're guessing by now that you've worked out that Elmar and Deuce are part of the team!

We'd love to fill out the gallery a little more too, so if you have any images you would like to share with us, for display in the gallery in the future or on our social channels, we'd love to see them. Please send these to: [email protected].

So reminder, Friday at 12:00 midday UK (British Summer Time), we will update the site so the bundles will then be correctly priced in GBP. We know some of you have had the benefit of a little extra discount since the launch, with the currency glitch, so that's another gift from us!

Thanks for being patient with us! It's great to have your continued support.
Andrew

So you don't have to hunt for the temporary sales page for LightWave 2023 upgrade pre-orders: www.lightwave3dx.com

Password - JeniSys

And the Welcome to the Future of LightWave Discord Server is at: https://discord.gg/the-future-of-lightwave

And the LightWave Blog entry has been updated with that FAQ: https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2023/05/news-from-lightwave-digital/

Last edited:
Hi when I link to the discord.gg site I get this message come up ‘Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.’ I’m using my iPad to access the site. What can be done to rectify the problem?
Kind regards
M

Hi when I link to the discord.gg site I get this message come up ‘Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.’ I’m using my iPad to access the site. What can be done to rectify the problem?
Kind regards
M
Have you tried Chrome? Not sure Safari is good enough to support Discord as a web-page (Discord is actually an application like Skype but way more advanced).

Kind regards
M
The invalid address is likely the intended handoff to the installed Discord app. If you install the Discord app, the redirection may work properly.

Technically, you should be able to see the Discord discussion in a web browser but you might have some odd preferences on your device that are expecting the installed app.

Hi Cageman, many thanks for replying. You are correct, I have viewed the website using Chrome and the link has worked.

Hi Raymondtrace, after I have installed the Discord app I have tried to use the above link to open it within Safari and it works. Many thanks for your suggestion.

We'd love to fill out the gallery a little more too, so if you have any images you would like to share with us, for display in the gallery in the future or on our social channels, we'd love to see them. Please send these to: [email protected].

Thanks for reposting this, I was thinking the gallery on the new page looked a little thin, and had been looking for a way to submit images. I know I (and the people already there) can't be the only people who've done stuff in contemporary Lightwave.

" We know some of you have had the benefit of a little extra discount since the launch, with the currency glitch, so that's another gift from us!"

Ah, the old Dollar to Pound sign switcheroo, that brings back memories. Nice spin in trying to present a payment increase to new (UK at least) purchasers as a gift to others. When I had a look last week I was going to pay £410. I felt that wasn't justifiable, a jump of £90 to £500 certainly isn't. Don't get me wrong, I wish Lightwave all the success in the world, but I'm back to the Core situation of wait and see what comes of it before committing.

I too was thinking about jumping back in. At the time of the announcement, It was $500. With the switch to pounds, it jumps to about $622.

A Lightsabel prop would be nice to get 😁 I reckon it has to emitt blue or green light...
or some prop made by Jet Cooper, I just love his designs.

Anyway..
Discord I am simply not entering, I can only hope they drop that as soon as they get a new forum on the website active, and a site we don´t have to enter a password to at least
see what´s happening, off course passwords for each user I obviously can´t say anything about..once it´s up and running :)

" We know some of you have had the benefit of a little extra discount since the launch, with the currency glitch, so that's another gift from us!"

Ah, the old Dollar to Pound sign switcheroo, that brings back memories. Nice spin in trying to present a payment increase to new (UK at least) purchasers as a gift to others. When I had a look last week I was going to pay £410. I felt that wasn't justifiable, a jump of £90 to £500 certainly isn't. Don't get me wrong, I wish Lightwave all the success in the world, but I'm back to the Core situation of wait and see what comes of it before committing.
As a long time user with a LW2020 license, I've been weighing up the two relevant launch deals since they first appeared. I had some things to sort out before I could decide. They were resolved this morning, so I took a deep breath and jumped in on the 'Lightwave™ Force Awakened' option as it just managed to fit my available budget. That was at about 10.30am. As a result, I am one of those who benefitted from the extra discount. Had I left my decision until after midday, I would have had to settle for the 'LightWave™ New Hopes' deal.

Nice spin in trying to present a payment increase to new (UK at least) purchasers as a gift to others.
Spin ? Andrew is saying that UK customers have been buying Lightwave at US prices since 4th May due to incorrect presentation of the currency, until they only just fixed that now, which is entirely true. The discount achieved was very real and in addition to the promotional offer. :)

Spin ? Andrew is saying that UK customers have been buying Lightwave at US prices since 4th May due to incorrect presentation of the currency, until they only just fixed that now, which is entirely true. The discount achieved was very real and in addition to the promotional offer. :)
I think what he's saying is that given that the pricing was originally in error and that some benefitted from it, Andrew is now trying to spin that benefit as being a gift from LWD instead.

I think @Wodney is just choosing not to see the true intention behind Andrew's comment. That being to say, "those who benefitted from the error, don't feel guilty about it. Just think of it as a gift from us at LWD".

From 500 USD to 500 GBP. That is not quite reasonable and attractive for me anymore.
i will better see the actual product first.

Oops. 500 GBP = 840 CAD. And GBP 250 = CAD 420 to upgrade every year.
= CAD 1260 for the first two years?

Wowsers. To bring this in perspective:

Maxon Cinema4D: CAD 671 per year
Maxon One (which includes Cinema 4D, Redshift GPU, Zbrush, and Red Giant Complete): CAD 1020 per year

Houdini Indie 2 year: CAD 540

Blender CAD 0 forever

Even though neither C4D nor Houdini are perpetual licenses, that pricing doesn't seem to bode too well for LightWave's chances in the market.

Last edited:
Oops. 500 GBP = 840 CAD. And GBP 250 = CAD 420 to upgrade every year.
= CAD 1260 for the first two years?

Wowsers. To bring this in perspective:

Maxon Cinema4D: CAD 671 per year
Maxon One (which includes Cinema 4D, Redshift GPU, Zbrush, and Red Giant Complete): CAD 1020 per year

Houdini Indie 2 year: CAD 540

Blender CAD 0 forever

Even though neither C4D nor Houdini are perpetual licenses, that pricing doesn't seem to bode to well for LightWave's chances in the market.
They shouldn't have changed in like that.
They seem too skittish and indecisive.

Still, I'll go ahead an order it.

My upgrade price is £250 or $420 Canadian, a jump of $80 from the US price which would have come out to about $340 Canadian.

Oh well. Should have jumped on it when they first announced it.

I too would like to support, but this does not make sense, especially for freelance, hobbyist like me.
Rayek is right. Although it is perpetual license, but it need to be upgrade every year, it is the same as subscription. In this case, it is worse.

I too would like to support, but this does not make sense, especially for freelance, hobbyist like me.
Rayek is right. Although it is perpetual license, but it need to be upgrade every year, it is the same as subscription. In this case, it is worse.
The time isn´t now for you, focus on something else, get back when it looks more interesting.

Totally agree. I'm a hobbyist too and if its a case of pay £250 every year or it is £500 if you skip a year or so, then I'm just not willing to bother with that at all.

Perpetual license or not, it simply feels like you are being held slightly to ransom. We all want latest features and updates so naturally you want to pay it, but going down that route, I could just get Maya/Max Indie year on year.

After a few weeks of reflection, and now a June deadline for early offer expiry, with almost zero information publicly (discord snippets are useless to me), there is absolutely no way I will pull the plug and purchase it.

It is better for me to let the studios and diehards pay for the progress of LW and maybe come back to it in perhaps a few years if things are going well.

I'm simply not going to let nostalgia, easy sales words or a guilt trip from fanboys that I invest in the future of it sway me anymore. Newtek or LWD owe me nothing or I them, and the new team need to prove themselves first because they have a clean slate and no reputation built yet.

After Newtek shambles, they are going to have to earn this the hard way with me and others and it won't be easy, but I wish them all the best for sure. :D

Last edited:
Back