LW2020 + Plugins

So now that LScript has been depreciated, which of these plugins are written with lscript?...

Not many commercial plugins seem to be LScript-based (only Rebel Hill's comes to mind). You can browse LScript plugins with an uncertain future here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/tag/LScript/

This blog post ( https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2020/05/development-update-lscript-in-lightwave-3d-depreciated/ ) is not a new message. There was similar discussion back in LW11, when Python support was introduced as a successor. LScript was not even supposed to be supported in CORE ( https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/appendices/lightwave-3d-resources/lightwave-history ).

I seriously doubt that, but keep 2019 around until then of course.

It's all Black Magic to most of us anyway.

Syflex's website says they have a 2020 plugin out now. But I don't know if we can get it through the old download links they've supplied to existing users.

3rd Powers 3D Sticker Works in 2020
View attachment 147773

That's good to know. I'm considering picking that up. I'd like to see some samples of the results in Layout though & not just what's shown in Modeler.

Paint Weights is listed as 2020 compatible, but it isn't fully. Listed in the 1st posting of this thread, but I get a different sort of error. Just following the Heat Map Binding sample, it does that but generates an error for each bone in the object that you have to dismiss for each one. 2019 works as expected.

I'm sure they've heard already, Think I'll drop them a note in any case.

Well, correction. The latest version of Paint Weights is 1.06 and MetaMesh is 1.13. That resolved the issue in 2020.01.

Talk about quick support response though, ...

PoserFusion plugin (11.1.1.35510) using Poser 11.3 Pro seems to be working in LW 2020.0.1 trial.
Loaded 5 interior scenes with 0-2 characters in them and all loaded up with geometry and standard materials.
Have not tried any animation.

Someone posted a screenshot in the Poser forum, the latest Poser figure FBX imported into LW with bones but no materials, another option.

I might have to check that out. I think I get to update the Fusion plug but not sure. I stopped using it some years back.

What were the set models? FBX only exports limited textures so you'd have to rebuild anyway, but seems I always had issues with exporting them from Poser.

Someone posted a screenshot in the Poser forum, the latest Poser figure FBX imported into LW with bones but no materials, another option.

That's a pretty poor option, due to the sheer number of materials/surfaces involved, and their rather complex UV:texture assignments. Losing the texture associations is kind of a big deal with most Poser-/Daz3D-type objects, because there are usually a significant number of distinct surfaces involved with clothed figures (between all the figure surfaces and all the clothing surfaces).

Do you know if the FBX import at least retained the figure's (and its clothes') UV maps and mappings?

Reconstructing the surface:texture associations is a big effort, but still probably a net win, so long as the UV maps/mappings were imported.

Last edited:
OD copy&paste external, doesn´t work with Lw2020.01 and Blender 2.83 ?!?
Anybody here with the same problem?

Edit :

Sorry for this. Don´t know, what i´m doing wrong, but now it works :)

Last edited:
That's a pretty poor option, due to the sheer number of materials/surfaces involved, and their rather complex UV:texture assignments. Losing the texture associations is kind of a big deal with most Poser-/Daz3D-type objects, because there are usually a significant number of distinct surfaces involved with clothed figures (between all the figure surfaces and all the clothing surfaces).

Do you know if the FBX import at least retained the figure's (and its clothes') UV maps and mappings?

Reconstructing the surface:texture associations is a big effort, but still probably a net win, so long as the UV maps/mappings were imported.

Newest Poser figure La Femme seems to FBX export from Poser 11.3 to Lightwave 2020 Modeler with surfaces and textures intact.
There is a Poser to Lightwave and Obj exporter too that works.
Also works in Layout with bones, see attachment.
(The PoserFusion plugin does not export bones)

Attachments

• lftest.png
    lftest.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 360
Rhiggit Pro possibly being out of the picture is certainly a concern.

Genoma is lscript-based as well, don't forget, so it isn't just about losing RhiggitPro, it's about losing both Genoma and RhiggitPro -- that's a serious hit to LW total rigging capabilities.

ATM, Rhiggit 2 is down because of the change to that data fields for the LW_Itemshape plugin; I forwarded the info to RH. However, for it to continue into the future, it's gonna have to be re-written in Python. And that would be a daunting task.

I haven't tested but can a 2019 RHiggit function in 2020, just not be editable?

I did come across an issue in 2019 with the Animation Toolbox in that it can't save a pose or motion, witch is odd as the copy & paste for both Pose & Motion work fine between hierarchys. Fortunately.

The rig works, because I've used RH2 rigged character in 2020, but to edit, you're going to have to go back to 2019, until the code is patched. Then it's a matter of time before it breaks again, but hopefully by then Rhiggit 3, written in Python, will be available...

I can dream, can't I?

The rig works, because I've used RH2 rigged character in 2020, but to edit, you're going to have to go back to 2019, until the code is patched. Then it's a matter of time before it breaks again, but hopefully by then Rhiggit 3, written in Python, will be available...

My suspicion is that devs will hold off on larger lscript migrations until Python v3 is available (for multiple reasons*), incl. avoiding the need to migrate to Py2 then immediately (and significantly) rewrite for Py3. Forcing third-party devs to migrate lscripts to Py2 now, then again to Py3 shortly will incur a LOT of needless effort for third-party devs.

After LW's Python v3 migration, sure, deprecate lscript, that'd be fine timing. Right now, IMO, it makes much more sense to keep lscript working and current until LW's Python v2->v3 migration is done. Anyway, enough TL ; DR explanation.

*: Py3.6 and beyond (3.8 is "current") offers certain language and library benefits for making "custom DSLs within Python" which could potentially (substantially) ease lscript migrations, but which do not exist in Py2.x. There are some other Py3 packaging and generator/async handling benefits which would also help ease lscript migrations. Asking devs to migrate lscripts to Py2 first, then Py3, just doesn't make nearly as much sense (IMO).

Last edited:
Back