London Lightwave

We talked about lighting resources for the bar scene at the meet last night. I've found Light for Visual Artists by Richard Yot well worth reading. He's taken a wealth of photos and he uses them to explain particular aspects of lighting - often he'll give two comparison pictures, say dry and wet stone patios, and explain the subtle differences to look out for. Whilst it's not a Lightwave-specific book (so you don't get lighting or texture settings) it does give you a really good understanding of lighting fundamentals, lighting people, environmental lighting, and creative lighting.

Another good resource is Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting and Rendering (second edition).

HTH!

Thanks to everyone who came - I think it all turned out pretty well, really!! :)
I'll upload a few pics in a bit (don't be scared!)

We talked about lighting resources for the bar scene at the meet last night. I've found Light for Visual Artists by Richard Yot well worth reading. He's taken a wealth of photos and he uses them to explain particular aspects of lighting - often he'll give two comparison pictures, say dry and wet stone patios, and explain the subtle differences to look out for. Whilst it's not a Lightwave-specific book (so you don't get lighting or texture settings) it does give you a really good understanding of lighting fundamentals, lighting people, environmental lighting, and creative lighting.

Another good resource is Jeremy Birn's Digital Lighting and Rendering (second edition).

HTH!

Thanks for the recommendation. It's impossible to overstate how important lighting is when creating 3D scenes (and indeed, any kind of photography!). A book I also liked - though mainly because I LOVE film noir cinematography! - is "Painting with Light" by John Alton.

Excellent night last night. Many thanks to Kevin and Dan for arranging and hosting this event and all the guys who demoed and presented their amazing work and tutorials for the group. It was very inspiring. I might have a go and bringing along some projects for the next one.

A special thanks to the guys from FX Animation Barcelona 3D School for travelling from Spain and attending this event. You guys are producing some truly fantastically talented artists in your school. Their work is outstanding and a real credit to the school.

HTH!

I could not make it unfortunately...

But I definitely recommend the Jeremy Birn book, it really changed the way I look at the world. Very clear indeed.

I would just like to add my thanks for the evening set up by Dan & Kev.
It was a really great evening that went by far to quickly.

special thanks to Xes Vila Roig
and his colleague (which I apologies to as I can't remember his name - I new I should have written it down)
from FX Animation, Barcelona (Thanks for the T'shirt).

I understand a little more on the nodal motion thanks to 'pinkmouse' presentation - many thanks

Look forward to see you all next time

Kev

Thanks for all the positive comments. :)

As promised, here's a cleaned up and expanded version of the "Bouncing Null" setup I showed at the meeting. I've added a few more data slots to the controller null to allow the offset and size of the motions to be controlled as well, and added some notes to individual nodes to indicate what they do. Any questions, feel free to ask.

If you want homework, ( :D ), I suggest thinking about how you might control the individual speeds of the two oscillators.

Attachments

• Basic_Modal_Motion_Demo.lws
    33 KB · Views: 263
Thanks to everyone, was a great meeting!!!

Special thanks to Dan for invite me and Kevin for hosting it at his studio.

Hello, would just like to add my thanks for last week, as well. Lots of inspirational stuff and I won a tshirt! Nice to put some faces to some Avatars :D

Hey! Thanks everyone for coming and Dan for organising. Good to meet and have beers with new and familiar faces.

Thanks especially to the guys coming over from Barcelona to present such magnificent work and also donating, along with the LW Group, some lovely prizes :)

No problem on hosting a such a pleasant bunch of chaps, and I am happy to do so again - Let's make the Christmas LLWUG even bigger and better?!?!?!?

Kev xx

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you are in the Cambridge area (like us)? We're looking for some part-time / freelance generalists as we're getting snowed under with work at the moment, and I'm going slightly potty with it all!

Cheers,

Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr Jon Heras
Equinox Graphics Ltd.
Science Visualisation
www.e-nox.net

Equinox Graphics Ltd.
85 Bishops Road
Cambridge, CB2 9NQ
Tel: 01223 968568
Mob: 077077 18118

Chatham's a bit far away I suspect Jon! ;)

Right, for all you London LW'ers, if you want this nodal mograph project as a tutorial at the next meet, pester Dan :)

I've timed it at 30 minutes, so even with questions, we should be well down the pub before closing time.

I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, so me organising another "do" before xmas might be tricky. Perhaps we can entice the awesome Kev Snoad to step up to the plate again. After all, we have LW 2015 to talk about now :)

Hello!

Think we've left it a bit late for a pre Christmas LLLWUG meet up but how about in the new year? I think everyone will be a lot less busy then.

Perhaps someone can show off new stuff in LW2015? We've not upgraded so far.

Kev xx

Hello there Lightwavers. I'm journeying down to London for a Holiday next week, with my partner, and so I thought I'd ask if anyone fancies trying to meet up, probably Friday the 5th of June. I put up an ask on Facebook, but I thought I'd ask in here too. It's not an official 'London Lightwave', but it would be great to meet up with a few of my fellow Lightwavers.

Back