Back to the 80s

Brilliance triggers some recollection, not sure if I used it though, what was the difference between deluxe pain and that one?
I think I just throwed my deluxe paint in the garbage last year or something, while cleaning up in my 80´s storage.

My amiga 1200 is still up there though, but I think the only reason I would use it myself, would be just for some nice Roland D50 library software.

It's a long time ago, but Brilliance was my go-to paint app ... not to diminish the venerable DPaint.

Turns out you can find anything on the internet, :)

It's a long time ago, but Brilliance was my go-to paint app ... not to diminish the venerable DPaint.

Turns out you can find anything on the internet, :)

I think I had some version of it, not sure, but I think I also found deluxe paint better to work with, maybe it was a difference in color display at that time ..and brilliance actually had more.
Fun to watch the old stuff, but I would never load it up and start to paint with it today, not even for trying to get some nostalgia with some 80´s music on, and old friends in the house, not with the tools we have for free today, such as krita etc.

Feature-wise, that's undeniable. Maybe it's just nostalgia and selective memory, but I feel like my systems and software were a LOT more stable back in the day.

Guru_meditation.gif

Feature-wise, that's undeniable. Maybe it's just nostalgia and selective memory, but I feel like my systems and software were a LOT more stable back in the day.
System-wide crashes on the Amiga were MUCH more frequent compared to the Windows systems I had/have in the past 20 year. AmigaOS did not have protected memory and an application crash would generally destabilize the entire system. Same with the classic Mac OS.

Software would crash less frequently, though, compared. Then again, complexity in software is far higher in current software, of course.

PS I also used Brilliance and ImageFX (wasn't that the title of a magazine as well?).

Last edited:
I almost never encountered the dread Guru Meditation (whereas a week seldom goes by without me cursing some M$ implementation or other).

The font they used on the key press back in the early 1980s doesn't exist today
Okay, so I did some research on this, and now know waaay too much about the BBC key font. :LOL:

It's part of the Gorton engraving machine (the font is named "Gorton Modified"), and those monoline type families never were converted to a digital version. Interestingly enough the font is said to be the standard for aircraft panels (in the UK?) as described in a last updated 1964 Military Specification. Engineers couldn't/cannot use this font in AutoCAD drawings (a digital version doesn't exist), so they tell the engraver to use Gorton!

Or at least this was the case 20 years ago (no reason why it would have changed).

The original company behind the engraving and manufacturing of the BBC Micro keycaps is Comptec in the early 80s. They were acquired by Signature Plastics in Washington. An interested person (part of a group of BBC Micro users in 2018 who were interested in creating identical keycaps for a modern keyboard) called that company and it turns out that it is still possible to have them manufactured. Which means they still have those Gorton engraving machines working!

Here's a scan of the font:

Rayek I bow to your superior knowledge in all things BBC Micro fonts! That's very interesting to read and certainly explains why I couldn't find a digital version which lead me to having to undertake the very painstaking task of photographing each key. Still it was worth the effort in the end.

Back