Back to the 80s

adrian

My latest project is set in the 1980s, 1983 to be exact. Here is a test render of what I've modelled so far. I'm practicing with the Principled BSDF shader which I've never used before with various plastic and paper surfaces, got lots more tweaking and learning to do.

In the final scene (which will be an animated story) there will be loads of Star Wars toys and a BBC Micro and tape recorder plus more Acornsoft games. I still have my Grandad's Beeb which he got as a retirement present (he hardly ever used it but I made very good use out of it lol) and it's still in perfect working order today. Best thing about still having it is I can take as many close up reference pictures as I need so I'm hoping to model it perfectly. We also had a Teletext adaptor but sadly that seems to have gone missing.

I'm not sure BBC Micros were known outside of the UK, or Acornsoft/Superior Software etc for that matter and if that's the case the items in the test scene might not mean much to most people.

I will post back in this thread as and when I model something new.

Attachments

• TestRender-2.jpg
    TestRender-2.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 282
Looks pretty good, though I was 18 years old at that time, I don´t recognize the labels of the items, I haven´t come across that over here in Sweden.
As for the render, the items seem to have too little contact shadow agains the floor so to speak, not sure how much additional light´s or GI you are using, that could sort of bleech that stuff out, perhaps a tiny bit more reflectance on some surfaces and edges would punch it a bit more.

Covers of Hunchback and Gorilla were the most likely in additional transparent plastic cover: make 0.1mm-1mm thick plane, divide enough, and add turbulence in displacement to have it slightly randomly curved (or use bump map), and in surface settings make it transparent, with RI != 1 and set specularity.

Haha, now I recall the 80"s to some degree, not the boxes and their function, but a gorilla, (had king kong plastic model, even self glowing)
And the Hunchback,( also a plastic model) when he was strapped to a wheel, but off topic, sorry 🦍

Cassettes ... i don't miss them.

CD was heaven compared. heart x2.png

exiting times tho' - discovering new games and new technology
bcwLfNX.gif

ohh yeah, these good old 80´s :cautious: (and 90´s too)

still have my original IBM-XT PC motherboard, 1 MB amber graphic card (full length) and the 20MB internal drive laying around - PC price in 1984 was 4.500 DM (€ 2.300)

Good lord this takes me back.

Although I never owned a BBC Micro, I did own the now legendary C64 as my first computer. I remember that the BBC was pushed really hard in the UK by the government and was in a lot of schools. My school didn't have any BBCs but they did have the RM 380z and the 480z. Due to budgetary concerns I guess.

I remember that, at school during the 80s, the kids who had home computers were essentially divided into two factions.

The Spectrum faction and the Commodore 64 faction. And yes, it was war.

The only thing that we could agree on was that anyone who owned a BBC was a complete joke and was to be made fun of. Mercilessly (oh, kids can be cruel).

Still, I always felt drawn toward the BBC Micro. I don't know why, but I always felt that it was a 'proper' computer. In any case thanks for bringing back some British nostalgia and I can't wait to see how the machine turns out.

Awesome work there sir. Awesome work.

I remember almost being reduced to tears in a school IT lesson. But not by other kids: we were forced to use Spectrums, and I couldn't cope. I was able to code in Basic in my sleep, and had produced games and music on my electron, but I just couldn't work with the awful rubber keys on the Spectrum. It was soul destroying to type on. I was used to a proper keyboard (and had learned to type on a non-electric typewriter) and despised the Spectrum's 'press the key really hard and wiggle it about a bit until it registers'. I have a vague memory of taking my electron in my bag on a couple of occasions to use that instead.
A year or two later, and the school upgraded to C64s.

Elite: Best. Game. Ever.

Attachments

• Electron_pack.jpg
    Electron_pack.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 218
I remember almost being reduced to tears in a school IT lesson. But not by other kids: we were forced to use Spectrums, and I couldn't cope. I was able to code in Basic in my sleep, and had produced games and music on my electron, but I just couldn't work with the awful rubber keys on the Spectrum. It was soul destroying to type on. I was used to a proper keyboard (and had learned to type on a non-electric typewriter) and despised the Spectrum's 'press the key really hard and wiggle it about a bit until it registers'. I have a vague memory of taking my electron in my bag on a couple of occasions to use that instead.

Oh, us sixty four users would tear Spectrum users a brand new "user port" on the subject of their crappy keyboards and p#ss poor specs. But to their credit, they did come out with some pretty good games in the early eighties and had the awesome Z80 chip. I remember playing Atic Atac on the speccy in our electronics classroom after school and falling in love with the game. We had to play it through the keyboard though and yeah, that was horrible.

Then the mid to late eighties came and the sixty four got the Mighty Rob Hubbard and a new generation of coders who just unleashed the sixty four beast with devastating effect.

A year or two later, and the school upgraded to C64s.
The beast was unstoppable.

You know, I never really understood that game. I remember everyone at the time saying it was unbelievable how good it was. However, it wasn't until about a year or two ago that I watch Perifractic play Elite on a BBC emulation (No. I got that wrong.) that I then realised how deep that game was. Now I just want to play Elite to experience it for the first time.

It came out on the sixty four but from what I remember it was a dud. Totally unplayable because it was so slow. A shame really. That's if my memory is correct.

That copy you've got must be worth a tidy sum today.

Last edited:
I remember a friend of mine had a Spectrum ZX81... yeah totally with you on those keys!! Our secondary school had BBC Micros so there was no teasing to be had at my school, as far as I can remember anyway :) I wish I had lept the original Acornsoft game boxes....

Don't know if you've seen it but there is a documentary about the guys who wrote Elite, think it was presented by Peter Snow.

I remember a friend of mine had a Spectrum ZX81... yeah totally with you on those keys!!
My first encounter with a "real" home computer was when I visited a friend and he proudly demonstrated his new ZX81 & 16K memory pack on a decrepit old black and white television with cm wide scanlines!

While I wasn't too impressed with either the visuals or the "sound" (we had an Intellivision that had surprisingly good sound chip for that time and had it hooked up to a good quality colour telly), the fact that you could actually program your own games was an eye-opener! At school we were introduced to simple programming on Commodore Pets (green screen anyone?).

A year later, in 1983 our parents got us a C64 with two games: Wheelin' Wally and Forbidden Forest. All the neighbourhood kids got together to hack Forbidden Forest, and most of us had C64s at home - so you can imagine our delight when we actually hacked the game and shared copies of it.

It came out on the sixty four but from what I remember it was a dud. Totally unplayable because it was so slow. A shame really. That's if my memory is correct.
The C64 version was flickery as heck. Quite poor indeed. But look at this:

There's a healthy community of retro programmers for all major 8-bitters: new games are released, old games improved, and even game engines/frameworks are now available to develop new games without the need for assembly or C knowledge. It's pretty cool.

I have a vague memory of taking my electron in my bag on a couple of occasions to use that instead.
My dad and I visited a friend of his, and that guy had a brand new Acorn Electron unpacked box standing on his kitchen table. I was there for the unpacking, and since then I have really liked its design. It looks just quite cool.

I never got an Electron, though. Instead, with the C64 being used by my brother, I received an Amstrad CPC 664 for my birthday. I really liked the Amstrad. Unfortunately, I was the only kid with an Amstrad CPC machine in a 100km radius. I played Elite to death on it: that conversion was solid.

But I've been looking into getting an Acorn Electron on eBay. No space for it though... ;-)

Then the Amiga happened. All the cool kids in our neighbourhood (yeah, this was an up-town suburb) got an Amiga 1000, and our parents (bless their souls) were also convinced by us that "it would help with school work". That machine just absolutely blew our minds. I still have it tucked under my desk. Great memories: swapping and demo parties, pretending to be press to get into the London games trade show, being part of a demo/hacker group, and befriending guys and girls who'd later would work on some of the bigger games on console and PC, developing games with friends, creating 3D anims with a hacked version of LW, and so on. Did my first paid-for print and game design work on it. Awesome time.

We moved to 2 Amiga 500s, then an A1200 with loads of hardware expansions, and then it all...

ended.

The boring old PC and Mac took over.

But not quite. I've always been part of the retro gaming scene, and currently that scene is flourishing, and I've actually started playing with Z80 assembly code and a bunch of game dev engines for 8bit. It's great fun.

And last year I got my hands on an Elan Enterprise 8bit machine - new in box from a forgotten storage depot in Egypt! A really obscure and rare 8-bit machine.

bb467a2d641c5c1813028a569772b580744f7b96.webp

I saw this machine in a consumer electronics store back when it was introduced on the market in 1986 - too late to be able to compete and it flunked, but I LOVED the design of it. I was mesmerized and the specs were impressive for an 8-bit machine. Only was in there for a few minutes, yet the design made such an impression on me that when I saw these new-in-box being sold on eBay, I took a chance, and got one for $100.

Basic comes on a separate cartridge that is plugged in on the left. Like the Commodore Plus/4 it has a built-in primitive word/text processing software.

Still have to hook it up to a monitor - ordered a special cable in Spain, and it arrived, but I need a tv or monitor with a scart connection - which I do not have. Still looking around for something. Would be nice to develop a simple game for it. But at this point I don't even know if it still works! :p

Played it to death on the CPC, on the Amiga, and on PC (Elite clone remake).

I do have Elite: Dangerous on Steam, but just no time to play it properly... Looks great, though.

Talking of retro gaming I have MAME on my PC but sadly none of the games work very well on my new Windows 10 beast... you'd think they'd be nice and smooth but no they're unplayably jerky yet on my now discarded Windows 7 machine with half the amount of RAM and slower processor they ran fine. I'm missing my Pacmania, Asteroids, Chucky-Egg, Hunchback & Planetoid fix!! Oh and the occasional dose of Space Invaders and Frogger.....

Keep those 80s memories coming, I love reading about them all and is providing even extra inspiration for my new project (y) :cool:

I still occasionally play Elite on my Acorn emulator. I think I got it from stairwaytohell.com, and it's the windows v0.6c one. It plays exactly as I remember it. I think I did see that documentary about the making of Elite. I'm still astounded how they fit so much into such a tiny amount of code.

My son loved playing the newer Elite: Dangerous on the PS4, but it seemed like such an immense game I never found the time to really get into it.

Modelled a C3PO toy for my 80s scene... didn't mean to model so much detail in this but it became a bit of a subpatching modelling exercise. Ended up at 63k polys. No doubt a lot of the details will be incorrect/different from the 1977 version as several times I'd be modelling stuff only to realise the reference picture I was using was from a prequel movie :-(

So far no UV maps set up, just surfaced with the BDSF shader for colour/reflection. Lighting just a bog standard environment light and 1 area light for test purposes.

Next on the list is a much lower poly R2D2 model.

Attachments

• C3PO-Render1.jpg
    C3PO-Render1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 169
  • C3PO-Render2.jpg
    C3PO-Render2.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 156
  • C3PO-Render4.jpg
    C3PO-Render4.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 153
  • C3PO-Render3.jpg
    C3PO-Render3.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 152
  • C3PO-Render5.jpg
    C3PO-Render5.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 154
  • C3PO-Wire1.jpg
    C3PO-Wire1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 151
  • C3PO-Wire2.jpg
    C3PO-Wire2.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 156
  • C3PO-Wire3.jpg
    C3PO-Wire3.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 149
  • C3PO-Wire4.jpg
    C3PO-Wire4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 191
So far no UV maps set up, just surfaced with the BDSF shader for colour/reflection. Lighting just a bog standard environment light and 1 area light for test purposes.

Next on the list is a much lower poly R2D2 model.
Cool dude, try and get a good HDR desert map, or scifi interior map, for the sake of reflections.

Back