Back to the 80s

Looking quite nice adrian. Are you planning to rig him at all? Not necessarily to animate but for general scene posing? If so it's best to have a "zeroed" pose. Don't think you'll have much trouble generally, but pistons 'n such can be tricky otherwise.

Quite possibly yes and was thinking about the pistons whilst modelling him, ie not sure how I would fit them with his arms straight as 3PO never has his arms straight.

R2D2 model. Changing tack for the item next on the list which is a 32K BBC Micro Model B.

Attachments

• ClayRender.jpg
    ClayRender.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 125
  • ColourRender.jpg
    ColourRender.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 128
  • GrimeRender.jpg
    GrimeRender.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Wire-Render1.jpg
    Wire-Render1.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 128
  • WireRender2.jpg
    WireRender2.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 130
  • TestEnvironmentRender.jpg
    TestEnvironmentRender.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 123
R2D2 model. Changing tack for the item next on the list which is a 32K BBC Micro Model B.

Great modeling there, and subdiv as well, takes more time to work that out I guess.

My suggestions though..If you aim to get the same look as in the movies, make the lower body more white and not so reflective/metallical or glossy in the specularity.
Dirty up, did you only use lw procedurals?
Since wind and dirt often affects in a direction and much from below, why not increase dirt at the bottom and with some directiona streaks in the texturing.
Rendering, increase GI bouncing or intensity.

Awesome work there Adrian. Perhaps the only thing I'd modify is the surfacing. I'd probably add a specular map or metallic map to make some areas of the metallic body less shiny than others. At the moment even though there's rust present, the metal still looks a bit too perfectly clean.

Other than that, it's a work of art.

You're going to have to update the title of this thread to include the 70s now, aren't you?😉

But speaking of going back to the 80s, I noticed that NewTek have put a new video out on their YT channel.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yep I'll work on the surfacing for sure. I didn't use procedurals, they're UV maps. Still getting to know the BSDF (or whatever it's called lol!) shader and how spec/glossiness maps work with it.

Wow what an awesome video above haha! Plastered in several layers of 80s cheese!!!

Great seeing this project develop.

My only criticism (and it isn't really criticism) of the Threepio and Artoo models is that for 80s action figures they are WAAAAAY too good. :D The actual action figures were very... erm.. simplistic in their sculpt and stickers/painting.

Looking forward to seeing your BBC Micro next! ( I actually have an Acorn Electron in a box in the attic, so if you need any reference pics, just let me know.)

Derek

Cheers Derek. Yeah I know what you mean about the original figures being not that great. Luckily I have my very own BBC Micro which is proving invaluable to have in front of me so I can make precise measurements, thanks for the offer of reference pics though (y) Hopefully will have something to show in the next few days.

Latest part of my bigger project done, the BBC Micro. A massive shout out to everyone who helped me with rendering process - whilst I am sure I can and will make numerous improvements to my rendering workflow for now I was very happy to gain a much better understanding of camera and render settings.

As usual with stuff I do, this took way longer than I anticipated. This time it was the painstaking task of taking heaps of accurate measurements plus having to photograph each individual key because guess what? The font they used on the key press back in the early 1980s doesn't exist today so I had to do the textures individually and then get rid of lens distortion etc.

@Rayek very jealous m8, I actually had a go on one of those Elan's in local store, really wanted one as I had a Dragon 32 at the time. Upgrade path --> Amiga 600 ---> Amiga 1200 with a 68060 Accelerator card.

I used Imagine on the A1200, really good 3D software for it's time ( I couldn't afford LW at the time). The rest is history and I ended up here lol

@Rayek very jealous m8, I actually had a go on one of those Elan's in local store, really wanted one as I had a Dragon 32 at the time. Upgrade path --> Amiga 600 ---> Amiga 1200 with a 68060 Accelerator card.

I used Imagine on the A1200, really good 3D software for it's time ( I couldn't afford LW at the time). The rest is history and I ended up here lol

The Elan Enterprise entered the market a year too late after development hiccups, unfortunately. And it stood no chance against the C64 and Speccy, both of which had a solid established presence by then.

But the super interesting design of the Enterprise never left the back of my mind, so when I discovered one for sale on eBay (from a recently discovered untouched depot in Cairo, Egypt) I just had to get it! :)

After the c64 and Amstrad 664 our parents got us an Amiga 1000. Then Amiga 500, a few 1200s, and then finally my first PC :-(

Imagine I also used at the time. But my first 'proper' 3d software was Sculpt/Animate 4d, after playing with Videoscape. Good times.

My A1200 was a super little Scala machine. I miss those days, when every OS update brought cool new stuff instead of a rash of new headaches.

Good lord. That must have been a dream machine back then.

I really miss those days.

After installing that beast the first thing I fired up was SysInfo (remember that?). My smile stretched from ear to ear when it said "CALL ME NOW!!!". Cinema4D renders flew after that. Well, relatively ;-)

I also had a self-built SCSI box with two drives and a CD-Rom, as well as an external video card that could display 15bit images at hires interlaced resolutions. At the time it would have made far more sense to get an Amiga 4000, but I just did not like the design of it!

My A1200 was a super little Scala machine. I miss those days, when every OS update brought cool new stuff instead of a rash of new headaches.

Wow, Scala! I specialized in building Scala-driven multimedia kiosks for trade shows and museums, incorporating 3d elements, sounds, media, and so on. Really loved Scala, and continued to use it after transitioning to Windows 95/98. That market dried up however, and Scala went corporate without the desktop option.

Ach, It were fun days you ken?

The loss of the Amiga platform I still lament up to this day. If only Commodore management had understood their own product better. A real shame indeed. I still store my Amiga 1000 under my desk!

....My A1200 was a super little Scala machine....

SCALA!

OMG, I haven't heard that word in... forever.

Lol. Now THAT was a great piece of productivity software. In my humble opinion, DPaint, the Toaster and Scala were the Amiga's killer apps.

Apple had Aldus PageMaker, Atari had Cubase and IBM had Lotus 123.

The Amiga was without doubt, the multimedia machine of the 80s.

A really magical time.

Back