Star Wars Rogue One Style Lighting

More slight yellow tone on and light contrast, and more GI on the dark side, for my taste..way too dark.

I used the physical sunlight hosek model, since I can control temperature, size of the sun, scatter of the sun..using blue color to scatter blue light, providing orange to yellow light as an result, it´s that or go with how Thomas did it with setting up kelvin temps in the color range, and multiply it, but that control you can´t see when tweaking in vpr, not until you click ok, so no interactive feedback unlike the physical sunlight.

I attached the scene here, but the model is a little to big to put in.
I can´t work with that, remember :)
Lightwave 2019.1.5 here only.

Thomas or someone else with Lightwave 2020 has to open and check that for you, not keen on installing the Demo just for this either.

Last edited:
This is true haha, but your advice is good, i pumped up what you said. The dark patches i would run another pass on and adjust in Fusion, so cant say its a total final image, but here is a update one with your suggestions:

Test10.jpg

This is true haha, but your advice is good, i pumped up what you said. The dark patches i would run another pass on and adjust in Fusion, so cant say its a total final image, but here is a update one with your suggestions:

View attachment 155798
Well..you got something going there at the bottom, but it´s not working fully, thereås a little part there not affected, and it´s a bit too strong blue.

I used textured environent gradient, and 2 swatch colors are quite a good start.
RGB:191.207.255
And
RGB: 125.158.255
Those are the two upper preset swatches when you open the color picker.
As subtle colored as possible withing a blue tin range, look at references, this fill light often represent the atmosphere light from a planet, and many of those are like blue water planets with such atmosphere, unless there is a completely desert and dry planet like tatooine, then you need to set a slight orange color for the bottom fill of the ship.

You can by changing opacity, or adjust gradient keys tweak in how the Radiosity fill will look like interactively giving feedback directly in VPR to dial in exactly what you want.

might give ideas...

LW11 - Distant Light - Gi

Well..photoshop, no photoshop, no more😁
But image by image processing for a bunch of animated sequences..not something I would do with photoshop even if you have batch scripting.
Great for stills though.

Don´t forget color grading, this a simple chromatic adaptation node only on the ship.
Volumetric light pass is separate uneffected from that.

Samples below of different kelving adjustments which you can see in the inspector panel/source illuminant and illuminant type set to color temperature...
Changeable at any time without any re-rendering need.
Glow not perfect yet, some wrong settings there..working on experimenting.

chromatic adaptation_white.jpg

chromatic adaptation_bluish.jpg
chromatic adaptation_yellowish.jpg
any

After more testing, distant light isn´t doing it for me for that extra reflective look together with PBR surfaces, using physical sky, and that as only light contribution, meaning actual light intensity is completely turned off, the light only serves as rotation controller, the rest is controlled with only the physical light.

Too slow to use for any practical use animation wise, stills barely acceptable.

Sample image, first image the GI and the colors from the surface of the planet is color bleeding on to the ship, the second image, same setup but with no planet active, thus it doesn´t get any bleed from the planet, only the physical sky for GI.

No matter how I try to adjust a distant light, I just can´t get the same reflectance, and using volume scatter will only add to illumination, not a proper surface reflectance.

Sorry for a bit noisy images, but I just can´t wait for the cleaners.

starwars lighting test.jpg

2 starwars lighting test.jpg

3 starwars lighting test.jpg

so...I think they actually have a point of using purely the sky texture, nishita model for lighting rather than using standard distant lights, I haven´t tried dpont nishita, since it used to halt my system.

Last edited:
That has to be enough of testing with lightwave, my conclusions are
Distant lights not good enough, old light not respecting newer PBR shading properly.
Using pure Physical sky only as light source, gives best reflective surface, but extremely slow..so slow that it´s not acceptable.

Wen´t to blender for cycles...much faster renderings, using nishita sky model for lighting, same there..only the sky model is lighting it..
Composite engine glow in fusion, good enough I think for engines without any volumetric lights.

Alternative to stay in Lightwave, buy me an extreme CPU, or install Octane.

fusion engines.jpg

what about LightWave Image World + HDRi ?
haven´t tried it really, I am guessing it is tricky to get that right.

Blender with the nishita model gives me the speed and pretty much similar in quality, if not better.
Have to install octane free to see later how that compares.

Hi all,

So i took Prometheus advice on the lighting, so bit of a mix and match, i found the render time to be quicker with this for the same result. But here is the Final Version. Few small issues with light glitching, but i need to look into this, just to wrap up this thread.

Quality seems to jump from low to high in the end, something with the final composite render, or youtube conversion?

Did a bit of a video test of the lighting style, trying to go for that BSG look compared to that Star Wars look for comparison:

Back