SpeedEDIT - WOW!

... does NT own everything they need to do their own update if they wanted to?
Yes. That said, and bearing in mind that we do not generally comment on future development plans, I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score - sorry.

Yes. That said, and bearing in mind that we do not generally comment on future development plans, I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score- sorry.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand that these products have to be profitable to keep going. It seems like NT has made a suite of programs people really love, and stopped work on them before they had a chance to really catch on with people beyond the video toaster users. It is unfortunate, because NT products really seem to have an intelligence behind them, and a richness of features, that is hard to find, with ease of use. If they were maintained they might find their rightful place in the industry as common tools.

I am reminded of a time when I was demoing Mirage (which, if you're not aware, was sort of a successor to Aura from another company working with TVP) at NAB some years back, and had occasion to speak with an important board member returning to our booth after walking the floor all day. He remarked "Thank god we're not developing an NLE!". Sad, but true.

Developing software is expensive, and the best returns these days are on applications that run on your phone and cost a couple of bucks. An attempt to carve out a competitive position playing truly serious catch-up in a field no longer crowded (the herd having been thinned to leave virtually only the biggest players) is not a thing I'd personally want to be investing in.

I am reminded of a time when I was demoing Mirage (which, if you're not aware, was sort of a successor to Aura from another company working with TVP) at NAB some years back, and had occasion to speak with an important board member returning to our booth after walking the floor all day. He remarked "Thank god we're not developing an NLE!". Sad, but true.

Developing software is expensive, and the best returns these days are on applications that run on your phone and cost a couple of bucks. An attempt to carve out a competitive position playing truly serious catch-up in a field no longer crowded (the herd having been thinned to leave virtually only the biggest players) is not a thing I'd personally want to be investing in.

Lightworks does not seem to be having any problems staying in the game

And I wish them the very best; yet I don't personally know a single individual who actually uses it (presumably present company excepted).

And I wish them the very best; yet I don't personally know a single individual who actually uses it (presumably present company excepted).

Neither do I but they keep on pushing along with updates for 25 years, SE actually has/had a base and it was dropped like a rock after Newtek finished using us as beta testers/fundraisers for the Tricaster IMHO

Neither do I but they keep on pushing along with updates for 25 years, SE actually has/had a base and it was dropped like a rock after Newtek finished using us as beta testers/fundraisers for the Tricaster IMHO
I will just say that - while you are of course welcome to draw conclusions as you like - if the development effort required to pull SE forward (even fully into the HD realm, much less an era of 4K), showed reasonable potential from a business perspective, we'd already be doing it. There are only so many places a relatively small company can devote its resources.

I wouldn't agree SE 'was dropped like a rock', though. And SE contributed little toward fund TC. It appeared in various manifestations on VT and TC before ever being 'liberated', and then passed through years of development as a standalone before and during the onset of the shift to HD ... which transition was quite some time ago now, to the degree that a fair bit number of today's NLE users arrived after it happened. Resurrecting SE, with all that entails ... I doubt many clearly understand how much effort and expense that would require, with chances of a payoff precious slim. The work could be done, obviously, but at considerable expense. The possibility of the investment being profitable in a commensurate degree is much, much lower, imho.

Just yesterday, I was wishing for an updated version of IFX, what a great tool ... but alas - wishes and horses. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Kickstarter. Put the goal at 1 million or 3 million or whatever NewTek needs to develop a 64 bit SE. Push a perpetual license for the "fastest editor". Even if NewTek does not hit the goal the campaign would still serve as peripheral marketing for Tricaster.

Lightworks does not seem to be having any problems staying in the game

You do now. :dance:

I will just say that - while you are of course welcome to draw conclusions as you like - if the development effort required to pull SE forward (even fully into the HD realm, much less an era of 4K), showed reasonable potential from a business perspective, we'd already be doing it. There are only so many places a relatively small company can devote its resources.

And that's about the crux of it. The NLE market is flat and the time isn't right for a new (or resurrected) product because at the end of the day, the availability and features of the current crop of NLE's are so similar and accessible that unless you bring something to the table that has features "You Didn't Even Know That You Needed" that the competition would need years to catch up on and integrate, you'd just be wasting your time.

Recouping the development costs alone would make the product ridiculously expensive. I remember when NT decided to sell SE 2.x for $995 when you could get Premiere or FCP for under $400. I said then, that it seemed like NT were trying to kill the product. Steve said they weren't, then they killed the product.

I eventually had to jump ship to Lightworks to just get work done and I can't say that it's been a terrible decision. Lightworks has a lot of built-in features that I wish were in SE and vice versa. But it doesn't pay to make it personal, when you have to move on, you have to move on. You just have to do what's best for your business.

Kickstarter. Put the goal at 1 million or 3 million or whatever NewTek needs to develop a 64 bit SE. Push a perpetual license for the "fastest editor". Even if NewTek does not hit the goal the campaign would still serve as peripheral marketing for Tricaster.

I would love to think that this would make a difference, but from a business perspective it's a dead duck. Even with a successful campaign, the only people who would use it are the converted and the price of a standalone SE would be too expensive and I can't see where the growth would come from. What new and innovative features and tools would it introduce? How long would it take to implement these amazing new innovative features that have never been seen before? No, all that we'd get is an update that brings SE into the 21st century and that's not enough.

Potential new users are already invested in their current tools that offer more than SE gives, to ask them to jump to SE just to get what they already have once it eventually catches up? I can't see that working out too well for NT and there's not enough current SE users to give it a long term future.

The NLE market's plateaued out.

You do now. :dance:

And that's about the crux of it. The NLE market is flat and the time isn't right for a new (or resurrected) product because at the end of the day, the availability and features of the current crop of NLE's are so similar and accessible that unless you bring something to the table that has features "You Didn't Even Know That You Needed" that the competition would need years to catch up on and integrate, you'd just be wasting your time.

Recouping the development costs alone would make the product ridiculously expensive. I remember when NT decided to sell SE 2.x for $995 when you could get Premiere or FCP for under $400. I said then, that it seemed like NT were trying to kill the product. Steve said they weren't, then they killed the product.

I eventually had to jump ship to Lightworks to just get work done and I can't say that it's been a terrible decision. Lightworks has a lot of built-in features that I wish were in SE and vice versa. But it doesn't pay to make it personal, when you have to move on, you have to move on. You just have to do what's best for your business.

I would love to think that this would make a difference, but from a business perspective it's a dead duck. Even with a successful campaign, the only people who would use it are the converted and the price of a standalone SE would be too expensive and I can't see where the growth would come from. What new and innovative features and tools would it introduce? How long would it take to implement these amazing new innovative features that have never been seen before? No, all that we'd get is an update that brings SE into the 21st century and that's not enough.

Potential new users are already invested in their current tools that offer more than SE gives, to ask them to jump to SE just to get what they already have once it eventually catches up? I can't see that working out too well for NT and there's not enough current SE users to give it a long term future.

The NLE market's plateaued out.

I see lots of posts in the video forums online from people wanting to change to a new NLE..either going from Final Cut X to Premier or visa versa...The reason they say is because they want to speed up their editing.
Most seem to say that Final Cut is faster than Premier. Premier is not fast but it is feature rich. If another option popped up that was marketed as something that could boost productivity over the others people might bite for the right price. Magix purchased Sony Vegas so they must feel that they can make money in the NLE market

Beauty of Kickstarter. Test the waters. Never know if you don't try. I might be overestimating the number of disgruntled users resentful of mandatory subscription.

I have Vegas and Resolve but prefer to work with SE because of its speed, simplicity and power. I'm also one user who won't go near mandatory subscription software.

If another option popped up that was marketed as something that could boost productivity over the others people might bite for the right price.
I was a big fan of SE, so am sympathetic ... but I am also contemplating the reaction of a board of directors to the propose development of a product aimed at a narrow market niche based on the hope that 'some people might bite for the right price'. I'm afraid I need to stand by my initial remark - "I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score."

I really liked working in Speed Edit.

I guess it was the way you could easly add color correction, animate positioning, add shadows, blur, color keys, fades. All this to stacked multiple layers and just hit play WITHOUT RENDERING! Pure magic (if you had the right rig). I tried every other editing software and I still prefered it. But it was also frustrating when it didn't support a format, or skipped frames or did some other weird thing like crash on a simple title.

Couldn't NT just sell off SE the way Sony sold off all of its creative software to Magix? Or is it because it would be too similar to what is bundled with TC?

Couldn't NT just sell off SE the way Sony sold off all of its creative software to Magix? Or is it because it would be too similar to what is bundled with TC?
Just for clarity, an NLE has not been bundled with TriCaster for several years now. I don't know whether a sale of the technology would be considered or not; I daresay an offer to purchase it would be considered politely, but I can't speak to the likelihood of success.

I was a big fan of SE, so am sympathetic ... but I am also contemplating the reaction of a board of directors to the propose development of a product aimed at a narrow market niche based on the hope that 'some people might bite for the right price'. I'm afraid I need to stand by my initial remark - "I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score."

NARROW MARKET!!?!?!?!?

Everybody and their mother wants to edit videos these days....and every professional needs a great editing program... - s

I agree with Shawn. There is a need for a simple to use, fast, and powerful editor. I don't see someone's mother using Vegas or Resolve to edit videos - I can see her using SE. I use all three but will be firing up SE in a few minutes to edit my next project since my time in post on this project is limited.

Back