SpeedEDIT - WOW!

pnelson

NewTek Managment
I dusted off SpeedEDIT this week on my office desktop and was once again blown away by how fast you can edit in SE!

It truly is the world fastest video editor the easiest editing workflow I have ever used

I agree with you. I've used Sony (now Magix) Vegas and Resolve but prefer to use SE for the very reasons you list. Is there any way you can get NewTek to do the right thing to upgrade and support SE? We all need it.

Since NewTek owns Aura, why not combine Aura with SE for a really great editing, animation and graphics program!

Philip, You know you're preaching to the choir here. Need to convince the powers that be.

I used SE and Aura on the toaster NT, haven't seen anything better till this day. At some point someone stole my Toaster Board, so I could no longer use these Programs..... They would make fine editing tools... Maybe integrate them with LW?

There are few issues of SpeedEdit need a good upgrade:
1. When a project become big (say about over 500 cuts), SpeedEdit's undo/redo system become very sllow due to project file is huge for every movement to save into undo-redo directory.
2. The same thing happen when loading a huge project (just few mega byte project file with few hundred cuts), too slow to load project, especially with icon view in storyboard mode.
3. We need a 64 bit version of SpeedEdit. I am suffering with low memory issues of current SpeedEdit version. A normal editing project might need 1-2 GB ram. When it come to rendering, an extra 1-2GB required. If I try multiple rendering, SE just sit there and die.
4. New camera format support.

Chen:
There have been people asking about multi-cam editing in SpeedEdit. Are you still selling your multi-cam editing plug-in?
I have been using the one I bought and find it very useful.

Chen:
There have been people asking about multi-cam editing in SpeedEdit. Are you still selling your multi-cam editing plug-in?
I have been using the one I bought and find it very useful.

Hi donx.

Yes, I can sell it anytime. However, due to no update (include SDK) on SpeedEdit for a long time, MultiCam have not much improved for a long while.

If anyone need a MultiCam for SpeedEdit, please email me at [email protected].

What does MultiCam do if I may ask?

MultiCam is an UI for SpeedEdit with multiple tracks (Cameras) editing. You can laid down synced tracks of Video in SpeedEdit and choose/edit which track will be next to show with single Mouse click or Keypad shortcut. Here are some highlight of the MultiCam:
lay videos into any tracks (err..., first 99 tracks only, in most case we use only first 20-30 tracks) in any order
MultiCam map track numbers to keypad key
2 to 9 videos preview in one preview windows
*new* preview can set to show window always on top or not
preview videos arranged to match keypad key locations
resizable preview window, single key to adjust and match aspect ratio
intuitive UI, multi-cam editing decision with one mouse click or key press with keypad
*new* Red box outside the current used video in preview window
*new* Edit decision by dircet click on preview window
default transition to cut or preset effects
adjustable default transition length, 10 preset transitions
forward/revsrse transition setting with automatical toggle switch
4 ToasterScript commands added with module
*new* Load and Save tracks and DVEs setting from/to file.

Here are the UI and document:
View attachment 136269

View attachment 136270

I am sorry that my web site was closed two years ago. If anyone is interested with my old plugins, I will send him the document file about the plugin. I hope I can reopen my web site in the near future.

Attachments

• MC_PVW6.jpg
    MC_PVW6.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 407
  • MultiCam.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 904
Multicam is great! Anyone using multiple camera streams should seriously consider this to use with Speed Edit. We use it ll the time and it's great!

NewTek doesn't own Aura anymore... it switched hands a few times, and is now called TVPaint: https://www.tvpaint.com
Unfortunately it is now obscenely expensive, and quite annoying to buy. Yes, some companies haven't left the 90s and still require dongles in the products.

Last edited:
There are few issues of SpeedEdit need a good upgrade:
1. When a project become big (say about over 500 cuts), SpeedEdit's undo/redo system become very sllow due to project file is huge for every movement to save into undo-redo directory.
2. The same thing happen when loading a huge project (just few mega byte project file with few hundred cuts), too slow to load project, especially with icon view in storyboard mode.
3. We need a 64 bit version of SpeedEdit. I am suffering with low memory issues of current SpeedEdit version. A normal editing project might need 1-2 GB ram. When it come to rendering, an extra 1-2GB required. If I try multiple rendering, SE just sit there and die.
4. New camera format support.

My wish list for SE would be

1- Ability to import 4K footage, it can do 2k but Doc Cross said it is not coded for 4k so that is why 4K crashes it out.

2- 4k will not work unless the program is complied as a 64-bit app

3-The FX engine needs a re-work to provide better, more modern HD transitions like you would find in the NewBlue FX collections

4- The ability to make use of OFX plugins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFX_(API)

https://www.toolfarm.com/compatibility/3733

5- PluralEyes plugin support with a Multi Cam editing feature similar to the one in Vegas 14

6- For Newtek to work out a deal with Pegasys to bundle its encoding software into SE so we can export to any format with quality results and the ability to access GPU rendering to dramatically speed up the rendering process for h.264/h.265 files (NEVEC Encoding) http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html

7-Proxy editing to smooth out multicam and 4K playback on the timeline

I don't think that much more would be needed as the program is a solid bread and butter NLE already. Just giving it solid plugin in support could make SE shine again

As I have mentioned a while back maybe Newtek could do a Kickstarter to come up with the funds to pay a Newtek programmer to do some updates in his/her spare time..send out a email to all registered users and see what happens

Last edited:
The ideal time to update SE was back when Final Cut Pro updated, to "iMovie 10", or when Adobe Premiere went subscription. At both points, people were left looking for a viable alternative to an affordable, full featured, NLE. I always wanted to try SE, because all I ever heard was that it was great, but then when I was in the market, it seemed like development stopped. Now there are a few free alternatives that are at least decent. Still, there is a market for SE. If it is still in use for the tricaster, then anyone with a tricaster, might want to be able to put SE on some other laptops and workstations, for other operators to put together packages and whatnot. The tricaster seems to be the backbone of a lot of studios, so SE has an "in" if it is bundled with the TC. They should be able to sell a decent amount of copies.

Mr. Bowie commented the NT still owns Aura, but it looks like TVpaint may have licensed the underlying tech to them? So if NT wants to make a new version of Aura, would they have to license the new version of TVP? Is that the hang-up? Or, does NT own everything they need to do their own update if they wanted to? Just wondering.

An updated SE and Aura combo would be very attractive.

Back