SpeedEDIT - WOW!

I feel the same way. I wander around, trying and editing with so many others, but there's - still - nothing out there like SpeedEdit.

Stunning how NewTek would just discontinue such a product: the stellar legacy of Video Toaster just left to fade into the dust bin of history. NewTek should've sold it to someone who would've preserved and advanced it for all those who love it.

Such a cryin' shame...

- - - Updated - - -

Preach it, Shawn Farrell...

SpeedEdit has a loyal base. This loyalty didn't grow out of a vacuum; it came as the result of a quality product. There's no reason that this base couldn't expand if more creative types became aware of this product. And now there's a worldwide market editing everything from home videos, to amateur movies, to wedding footage, to Youtube instructional videos and music videos, to Vimeo vids, to professional-level anime: video editing is used everywhere.

And wouldn't you know it, just when video editing started becoming this big thing, NewTek SE faded out. Bad timing.

I hear all of you. I just built my latest Video Editing machine with all SSDs, i7, 32 GB Ram, etc. Maxed out and it is the first one that I will not even load SE on. I had it on my last Windows 10 machine and had no real issues but it is falling out of date, especially with the codecs. I swtiched to Vegas Platinum and while some things are easy, many are not, especially the cumberson pan\crop stuff. I loved those splines and nodes in SE. I was lightning fast using it. I do not understand their decision to discontinue it. They are so focused on live IP based productions.

They should do what Cakewalk Sonar (midi\audio editing) did. I have used Cakewalk since the 90s. At the end of last year, they announced the product would be discontinued. All of a sudden a few weeks back, it was announced that another company took it over and is developing it for the future AND allowed a free download of it for a while. SE Source Code exists. If Newtek has no desire to continue developing it, why not sell to a competitor? It was such a great product and they are throwing it away.

FYI, I have the latest version of TV Paint, 11.5 and it no longer requires a dongle. I don't find the price expensive for all of the high-end features it supports. At least your not required to rent it and pay monthly.

FYI, I have the latest version of TV Paint, 11.5 and it no longer requires a dongle. I don't find the price expensive for all of the high-end features it supports. At least your not required to rent it and pay monthly.
Apparently there's an update on its way soon. I'll be interested in seeing what's new. I would love them to include eps import support for LW UV texture mapping, as well as LW motion file import support. That would be awesome.

Apparently there's an update on its way soon. I'll be interested in seeing what's new. I would love them to include eps import support for LW UV texture mapping, as well as LW motion file import support. That would be awesome.
I'm still really confused by the whole 64-bit Pro vs 32-bit 11 Std bit on Mac. They cite 64-bit as the reason Std can't operate at 4k, but if 11Std weren't a 64-bit app it wouldn't run on modern MacOS (10.13/HS and later) _at all_, so why not just outright say "Std and Pro are both 64-bit now, but Std's restricted to below 4k resolution" and avoid confusion?

I still find the 500€ Std vs 1200€ Pro a bit extreme where Pro mostly appears to add a bunch of layer types, and UI/UX "Rooms", but not the worst tiering I've seen either. OTOH, charging a (fairly frequent) upgrade cost that's 50% of full price is ridiculous, they might as well just change to subscription already, companies with that kind of upgrade cost percentage inevitably seem to switch to overly-expensive subscription-only to satisfy their bean counters' "forced revenue growth" demands.

Last edited:
I'm still really confused by the whole 64-bit Pro vs 32-bit 11 Std bit on Mac. They cite 64-bit as the reason Std can't operate at 4k, but if 11Std weren't a 64-bit app it wouldn't run on modern MacOS (10.13/HS and later) _at all_, so why not just outright say "Std and Pro are both 64-bit now, but Std's restricted to below 4k resolution" and avoid confusion?
Where do they cite that?

....OTOH, charging a (fairly frequent) upgrade cost that's 50% of full price is ridiculous, they might as well just change to subscription already, companies with that kind of upgrade cost percentage inevitably seem to switch to overly-expensive subscription-only to satisfy their bean counters' "forced revenue growth" demands.
So, what exactly constitutes "fairly frequent" in your book?

Back