SpeedEDIT™ 2.5 Software Update Now Available for Free Download

There's nothing changed in the safe area overlays as far as I know. The downloads don't include the DVE's simply because the download would be far too large if it did. The DVE's haven't changed, so I'd think you've already got them.

The safe area is still there. However, the CG is not in scale with the what the output is. The CG defaults well outside the safe area. When I click the tool to center my CG it doesn't. The SD DVEs folders are empty when opened, so if they are still in the system they are hidden somewhere...the "transition folder" has the fade etc transitions but I am not able to change their default, also the "tool shed" seems not to work with them. I do a lot of editing of consumer SD tapes for customers and convert them to standard DVD. 99.9% of the transitions used are "fades" and it's nice to edit (with razor) and then add the "fade to black" to just one edit and have the "tool shed" ad the other transitions for me.

Again I want to repeat, I'm very happy with my SE2.0, but when there is an "update" that is suppose to improve things, it should improve what is improved but not harm other important aspects of the program.

I don't think the upgrade installer removes the DVE's you already had installed , but you may need to re-link the file browser 'favorites' button to wherever you have them installed.

Thanks for the responses. I've already re-installed SE2.0 and will just continue using it with great satisfaction, until the next, if there is one, version of SE is released. I've not had any problems with SE2.0 in SD or HD. My HD work is pretty much just the professional video I personally shoot in MTS HD format and I get my transitions from a 3rd party for my HD projects....:thumbsup:

What I meant was, assuming you've "purchased" SE2.0, you can upgrade from 1.5.x to 2.5.

Some people have bought SE2.0 but because of the issues when it came out, reverted back to SE1.5.x. So with that in mind, the answer to the question is, yes.

I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain they wouldn't need to re-install 2.0 as long as they're 2.0 licence key was valid. But I might be wrong.

Last edited:
I suspect that's what Curtis was asking about.

The SE2 Version 2.5 update is free to registered SpeedEdit 2 owners.

If you do not own a registered copy of SpeedEdit2, there is upgrade pricing available for owners of SpeedEdit (versions 1 through 1.55) and VT5. A little web searching can find good prices. I just found one for less than $250. It was advertised at $279 but if you put it in the dealer's online cart you'd see the lower price, likely to minimum advertised price limits.

Last edited:
You may want to think twice about upgrading to SE2.5. I found out the hard way that when I updated to 2.5 from 2.1, I could not use my VT5 system anymore since they took out the capability code. I have uninstalled 2.5 and went back to 2.1 so I could use the SE on my laptop when I am away and when I return, I could dump the files onto my main editing computer and pick up where I left off. Newtek must have a reason for doing this, but I cannot figure why they made the effort to do this or maybe it might be that it was a lot of effort to make it compatible. Anyway, the day is coming soon where I will have to abandon the VT system and go to another platform like Adobe or Avid to utilize the latest technology for video input and output.

Back