SpeedEDIT™ 2.5 Software Update Now Available for Free Download

JasonP@NewTek

NewTek Product Marketing
The SpeedEDIT™ 2.5 software update is now available for free download. This release delivers improved performance, file support and workflow advantages that include:

• Improved H.264 and MPEG-2 performance and support
• Support for 24bit and 32bit audio files
• Workspace and timeline enhancements
• Improved memory handling

SpeedEDIT 2.5 Software Update
Download Now

Note: To download the free SpeedEDIT 2.5 software update, visit the My Downloads section of your personal registration page at http://register.newtek.com. Access your personal registration page by selecting Update from the NewTek SpeedEDIT 2 folder on your system and choosing Registration from the Customer Care drop-down menu at the top of the browser, or by visiting http://register.newtek.com from another computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was real excited about 2.5 being released.
First test to see if the two monitor problem was fixed: :eek:
It doesn't work any better than the last version. All windows still open up on the primary monitor and can not properly be dragged to the second monitor.
Windows7 home premium SP1 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 5770

I'll stick with my SE2 until 2.5 is tested by others. The last update disappointed me with so many bugs, I went back to SE2. Using Dell XPS9100 24 gig of ram and happy. I'm about to purchase Adobe After Effects CS5 for graphics since SE is just a good editor and lacks graphics abilities and I have LW but it's way over my simple mind.

Second problem
I set all my add media windows up to the files I want to access, customized some bottom tabs. Close the program...
It takes about 2 minutes of a spinning ball waiting then it says SpeedEdit closed unexpectedly.
I reopen the program and all of my settings are back to default.

I wish someone would spend more than a lunch break fixing the problems and testing, testing, testing...... AAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I think that's just your set-up Donx. Everything works great here so far.

Last edited:
I was real excited about 2.5 being released.
First test to see if the two monitor problem was fixed: :eek:
It doesn't work any better than the last version. All windows still open up on the primary monitor and can not properly be dragged to the second monitor.
Windows7 home premium SP1 64bit
ATI Radeon HD 5770

Are your monitors swapped?

There is a known problem with that in all the products based on the VT/SE codebase that makes windows open wrong when the monitors are set 2 1 rather than 1 2. It has to do with negative X coordinates and it's pretty deeply embedded in the UI toolkit.

The "all windows open on monitor 1" bug should be fixed with normal monitor locations.

If the monitors are set to 1 on left, 2 on right and 1 is the primary, then it should function properly.

Last edited:
Yes John, my monitors are set up 2 -1. So if that's the problem I will try changing them.
Thanks for the tip.

I am curious why anyone would set up their monitors in a 2 1 layout?

Well, actually I have the same situation as Donx. It just kind of turned out that way because I wanted the docking station for my laptop (2) on my left, the main widescreen monitor in the middle (1) and my video monitor/video deck stack on my right, which fits neatly in the corner of the office. (Corner of the office being on my right.)

It just ergonomically and physically worked out that way because of cabling for my video equipment stack.

So, yes I was fighting the same issue but I knew it was the way I had the computer monitors set up, so I just lived with it. Was never a show stopper. I just Knew I had to reset my windows each time I went back into SE, so it was just the price of doing business from my POV.

Icress, I have my monitors set up like yours and for much the same reason. After John mentioned the solution I experimented and found that by switching the primary monitor from 1 over to monitor 2, the displays started working properly. They are still labelled 2-1 but the desktop shows up on 2 now. I did not have to physically move monitors.
With this set-up SpeedEdit works the way it is intended.

That problem was constantly annoying me. but now... :dance: All is well.

Sorry for the panick John but I waited a long time for the fix and was very dissapointed it didn't work. Thanks for your efforts to make SE even better.

Second problem
I set all my add media windows up to the files I want to access, customized some bottom tabs. Close the program...
It takes about 2 minutes of a spinning ball waiting then it says SpeedEdit closed unexpectedly.

99% of the time this is a specific file causing the problem.

We basically try to play almost every possible file unlike most other editors that play a very specific set of files and force you to convert to their tiny subset. (I'm looking at you FCP...)

The downside of this is that we can't possibly test every possible combination of codecs, containers and manufacturers non-standard writing of each.

If you can narrow down what file or files are causing the problem I'm sure we can fix it but we will need your help.

I reopen the program and all of my settings are back to default

SE writes settings to disk when it safely closes, so it's always best to set up your layout and then close SE so that they stick.

We spent quite a few months fixing every reported bug that was more than a very minor annoyance and completely rewriting the h.264 decoder, but it's an extremely complex piece of software. Had we seen it happen, I assure you it would have been fixed.

If you report the bugs to us and help to narrow down the steps to reproduce it, we'll do our best to fix it for everyone.

v2.5 doesn't want to generate thumbnails

Haven't had too much time to play with it, but I immediately noticed that it doesn't want to generate either existing or new thumbnails for video or project files (most of the time - some existing ones are OK, most don't show up).

Some existing thumbnails from the previous version of SE do show up, but often those that used to be there now just have the "generic" video thumbnail image, not a video clip still or the "animated" video from the clip or project when I hover over them. I am also not getting thumbnails when I've created new test projects.

Yes, I have tried deleting everything in the appropriate NewTek Info folders so they'll be regenerated when re-opening a FileBin where the clips or projects are located, but that hasn't been working as it should; the Info folder is still empty. This is happening more often with Project files than with Video files, but it is happening with both.

The only time I've had 2.5 generate thumbnails after I've deleted the existing NewTek Info files was one time when I shut down SE and rebooted the computer and restarted SE. Don't know if it makes a difference, but when I did get those new thumbnails I noticed they are .png images rather than the .jpg images that were generated previously.

SE was also crashing (locking up, no error message) quite a bit after it was first installed (I did reboot immediately after the install), but that seemed to have stopped happening for the most part after a few reboots.

On the good side, mpeg files can now be played and scrubbed MUCH more smoothly than before. I've been batch converting all my mpeg camera files to SpeedHQ before editing, it will be very nice not to have to do that anymore, at least for simple projects - thank you John!

Last edited:
Icress, I have my monitors set up like yours and for much the same reason. After John mentioned the solution I experimented and found that by switching the primary monitor from 1 over to monitor 2, the displays started working properly. They are still labelled 2-1 but the desktop shows up on 2 now. I did not have to physically move monitors.

You never have to physically move anything. Just switch the video cable at the video card or on the back of the monitors.

Back