Revisiting native Fiber FX

also, the Daz curves are rather bad, they don't follow the body, but rather stick out perpendicular to the body.

and saved off. Those can be imported into LW of course. Weird looking UV mapping, but it's based on the underlying body texture map so the fur coloration takes on that as well.

Jump ahead a few years and Daz has introduced dForce and AM started to using it for is animals. dForce won't export as the geometry based LAMH hair will. Closed polys. I asked many, many times in several of their forums if there was a way around this and got zilch response.

Wrote Alessandro who's helped me in the past & he didn't know outside of Daz. Of course, Daz gives their artists special tools not available to the masses.

So thumb twiddling until recently when I just happened to come across a vid that revealed what it was I need to know to get all of this to work.

So clear off some hardrive space as you'll probably want to save all this info:

Yep, that's it. That's what I couldn't get anyone to point out to me in months & months of asking. Sigh.
I thought I mentioned before you have to activate preview for the force hair to be exported there somewhere on these forums before, I maybe I forgot, to bad I couldn´t see that question otherwise.

You probably did. Point is that THEY didn't or wouldn't.

Working up some samples erikals to show things a bit clearer. Later today.

You probably did. Point is that THEY didn't or wouldn't.

Working up some samples erikals to show things a bit clearer. Later today.
Have to check back to the daz hair tools, I just accidently happened to uninstall content instead of installing it with the DMI Installer, weird when I was adding stuff to it, it promted me to the already installed stuff, which I thought was the once needed to install.

But..makes me think if it´s not just more smoother to use blender for the fur, use quick fur on the object, make a weightmap first that you choose later when adding quickfur and entering particle settings.

To Note, if you subtract paint the weightmap after you have applied quickfur, and wan´t to erase parts, make sure the falloff of the brush is set to projected, so it properly erases the fur particles in depth.

scrat_fur.jpg

Just installed the genesis 9 starter kit, asymmetry is there, if you go to the shaping tab, select face in the editor.

Funny how also changing proportions to smaller, gives a midget looking dude, and the face changes to look a bit midget styled as well, it adapts to that as well, so that is interesting.

The Genesis 9 figure is now a unified human model, so you change from male to femal within the Genesis 9 shaping editor, masculine body or feminine, base feminie or base masculine, individual controls for head masculine or feminine as well.

Aging parameters I am still looking for ..if possible.

Genesis 9.jpg

More assymmetry, though it would be nice to simply have a randomize face asymmetry button, maybe there is some addon somewhere for that.
Increase Image hdr environment intensity, to get a bit better looking render of course.
Adjust dome orientations to change lighting direction.

I would like to have more time over for working in Daz, would like to do my own morphs, clothes etc, but it´s not priority right now.

Genesis 9_enviro light boost.jpg

sorry for a little hairless hijack of the thread.

Hmmm. Today, when I made tests using the imported curves converted to NURBS, they wouldn't work. Using the directly imported curves did though so need to investigate why. Only reason I noticed was the panel was different with a Max Fiber Density percentage instead of the Fiber Quantity setting.

Also,you CAN'T convert multiple curve layers at a time, but looking as if I don't need to do that now. Curious.

Anyway, I put together a sample patch of 4+, 4, 3, and 2 pnt curves.

2Pnt Fiber Stats.jpg

4+'s thru 3's Plus 2Pnts.jpg

I left these with the default Activate settings for visibility & colored the different types. As indicated in the panel stats, the 2Pnt curves have a Guides, Fibers, & Edges, but aren't visible and are surfaced as bright red.

I thought I saw mention of a script that basically could inserted a point or divide a curve. Don't know what's determining the # of points or when, but the divisions are somewhat uniform, but like 750 - 810 um. increments.

The 2-pnt curves make up over half the the total so it's like a velvet; dense and short.

If I could simply turn them 3-pnt curves, I think that would resolve the problem.

Couple of questions or wonderings:

The Guide Radius: I has to be reduced from the default of 2cm, but can only be taken so far. 1mm seems the limit.

Reduced Radius Values.jpg

The Cluster Radius: Not seeing what this does, so don't understand what I'm looking for it to do.

I'm using 3rd Powers Paint Weights tool in Layout for the most part. What I wasn't doing before was to Remove Small Weights (basically clear out zero wts) first from the base figure. Then when you use the Transfer Weights function, it's much quicker and you don't have to perform a second step to remove the zero wts. Also, he added the Fur mode. Not really sure what it's doing that's different but the falloff type helps a lot.

There are some add'l maps for Weasel related to hair; Clump1, Clump2, Density, etc. but don't know if there of any use for LW.

But I'm not wanting to make new fur but use what's already been done, just out of Daz. Might be worth a try to see if it handles some aspects better. And I like the Scrat character.

Gen9

Think Daz has some products to blend between up to 3 characters.

It has a lot different rig structure and more parts are broken up as separate items. More work on the Lightwave side to put them together so you can unitize expression morphs. I bought one figure only because he's an alien & unique looking. Plus, no eyelashes, brows, or hair to deal with.

unsure why.
they seem too be too short to render or something. not sure how that could be fixed.

that said,
again, the Daz strands aren't good anyway, i would redo it in LightWave.

some video notes, might make it more clear >
FiberFX Daz = Bad
FiberFX LW = Better

But I don´t see why Daz is Bad according to you, this is just the result you have there because the fibers aren´t applied properly, there are tools to comb and surface it better.

daz strand hair.jpg

i have no idea about Daz guides in general.
so that might be, but non the less, the point is they show up flawed in Modeler.

i have no idea about Daz guides in general.
so that might be, but non the less, the point is they show up flawed in Modeler.
Of course they show up flawed in modeler, it´s not done right.

but you didn´t use a model, nor daz..seems that´s a screenshot.
otherwise where is the model?

But..I would suspect the paint, distribution and surface attract isn´t properly made in daz from starters, they can go wonky if you aren´t careful with the attract option, and paint in segments for it to easier calculate the surface.

After picking some things apart, I dropped back to basics. I still imported as I have been, but used those directly with Strand Maker. I then used that and think I'm having a bit better luck, at least in wireframe. Just the head for now.

New Strands.jpg

Sample of a monkey imported to daz, very low density distribution for testing.
Careful curling and surface attraction.
export to fbx
import blender, a slight solidify thickness on it.

Now..you would want to convert to particle hair or the newer empty hair curves, that is a bit of a work to do though, and I recently got some crashes testing it, which I didn´t have before..so need to check that up.

It´s not ideal to create hair on already posed animals or Humans, best to do it on default poses, whatever that would be if you are a monkey or a human ;)

daz strand hair.jpg

daz strand hair2.jpg

daz strand hair3.jpg

apeatar..
Surely there´s got to be monkeys on that planet, rocks floating..it all makes sense.
Would be nice if I could get the fur working with convert, or if that´s too much hazzle with DAZ grooming, simply use other tools directly for the hair.

Global volumetric scatter and absorbtion...just monkeing ..around.

apeatar.jpg

Of course they show up flawed in modeler, it´s not done right.
yes, hence me saying it. unsure why you see me saying it as a problem ?

but you didn´t use a model, nor daz..seems that´s a screenshot.
otherwise where is the model?
that's right, that's a screenshot provided by OP.

yes, hence me saying it. unsure why you see me saying it as a problem ?

that's right, that's a screenshot provided by OP.

I perceived it as you said daz is bad....not that the user didnt do it right in daz...its how it was handled..thats all I reacted to.

if done right...daz isnt to blame..and the sample of bad points..fibers on that model is a bit irrelavant.

it should just be discarded and new fibers to be made

Last edited:
Yeah..I could convert the ape strands made in das strand hair maker and groomed there.
The process is a bit wonky as mentioned before, saving out to obj or fbx, converting to curves, make sure to switch direction of the curves, then convert to new hair curves, select
scalp/grown surface in the new hair curves option, go to convert to particle hair, that works.

The tricky part is to get the child hair follow exactly, now I have managed to do that with simpler curves ..but with these many fibers..not sure, will have to take look at that later maybe.

Here´s an older thread of converting das strands to fibers in blender...
Kryslin's Python Questions | Page 3 | NewTek Forums

Is this because you're feeling particular masochistic or self-loathing tendencies? Do you feel any other urges to cause yourself harm?

It's starting to appear a bit too close to self-flagellation.

1/2 ;) + 1/2 😳

Back