Revisiting native Fiber FX

Is this because you're feeling particular masochistic or self-loathing tendencies? Do you feel any other urges to cause yourself harm?

It's starting to appear a bit too close to self-flagellation.

1/2 ;) + 1/2 šŸ˜³
You got to have some fun, it is a common practice.
Other than that, just testing the culture of S&M within the daz arena, that isnĀ“t to say I would linger on if I donĀ“t like it.

Last edited:

you can also use a the @Kryslin Bias plugin...

0:40 Regular LW Bias
1:10 About the Bias plugin result
3:45 Show Bias
5:10 Comparing it to native LW UV Bias
7:20 Tweaking the Bias one more time (a better nose area result)

--- self reminder, by making morphs you can tweak the Bias direction around the eye area

it is good to see it works.

but once again, i'd much rather do it in LightWave FiberFX.

the hazzle of making sure strands are converted properly..so they become blender curves..new empty hair..or particle hair for adding childhair..may not be worth it..but I have to test it to see if theres any use of it.

you can of course apply dforce in daz nto it..and to have hair dynamicly adapt to any mesh.

I thought you never had tested the hair tools in daz..as I thought you dont even have it installed?

staying with lightwave fiberfx may be fine.

as for the process of converting daz hair to blenders two hairtypes..I believe i described that on the kryslin plugin thread.

I thought you never had tested the hair tools in daz..as I thought you dont even have it installed?
i haven't.
but none here have shown other better methods than FiberFX. [imo]
and if someone feel the Daz workflow is great, (surely not evident here) then by all means.

and if people feel that using another app is better, i have no problem with that.

that said, FiberFX isn't the most fun worflow method if the (more) complex FiberFX isn't understood.

so each to their own here.

i haven't.
but none here have shown other better methods than FiberFX. [imo]
and if someone feel the Daz workflow is great, (surely not evident here) then by all means.

and if people feel that using another app is better, i have no problem with that.

that said, FiberFX isn't the most fun worflow method if the (more) complex FiberFX isn't understood.

so each to their own here.

The comb features are so smooth to use with daz, much better than lightwave guides, with one Major exception, no symmetry which I found odd, or I may have missed that function, but other than that..while combing it hugs the surface pretty nice and very fast to comb with and it is pretty accurate, this is something you should use with the surface hug, and not just use surface hug, you would get sprouts in various directions if you do not use it.

In lightwave you can not paint in distribution density in layout, nor can you adjust it by erasing or creating new ones, you have to paint.
Edit..of course if you use some weight paint addon, or metamorphic weight paint, you add to that function of painting distribution in layout, but itĀ“s not directly accessable within the fiber fx guide styling.

You can also not increase segment division length with lightwaves guides, I believe itĀ“s quite poor with too low set defaults for that, in daz you can increase that length and division.

That said, daz wasnĀ“t made to be using that strand hair tool for specific use in other software, it works by guides and finalizes the guides to strands, for use in daz rendering.
The concept of then exporting to other software isnĀ“t what it was intended for, same as with Lightwave, you work with those guides in there to adapt to the finalization of guides to strands.

Once strands in Daz, you are almost stuck with that, so you have to make sure you are done with the guiding growth and grooming, and to get exactly the amount of strands needed ..in the case you would like to export, which would also make it heavy to work with, or just make a few strands which you then sadomasochisticly like Jwied wrote, have to try and convert back to some curve type in Lightwave, or in blender, for you to be able to deal with it smoother and comb correct, add child hair etc.

But I am just testing waters, I do not spend many minutes with it, just testing to see what it can do.
Other than that, If I would to be serious about it, I would download the latest blender build and get deep in to those hair tools, unless you have access to or can afford maya, houdini, xgen.

But the data for the strands to work as guides in other software are often messed up, thatĀ“s probably one of the reasons there where sprouts of wrong directional strands when using it with fiberfx.

Last edited:

The comb features are so smooth to use with daz, much better than lightwave guides,

if painting "strokes", yes.
i prefer not to do that for shorter hair though, i'll adjust it in Layout instead.
Layout also makes it non-destructive.

for long hair however, Daz is way better for some stuff.

in LightWave, the Long vs Short hair workflow is very-very different, and that will though many people off, understandably.

but for short hair, LightWave FiberFX is actually quite good.

if painting "strokes", yes.
i prefer not to do that for shorter hair though, i'll adjust it in Layout instead.
Layout also makes it non-destructive.

for long hair however, Daz is way better for some stuff.

in LightWave, the Long vs Short hair workflow is very-very different, and that will though many people off, understandably.

but for short hair, LightWave FiberFX is actually quite good.

The problem is however that daz exports out polysheets, not pure simple polylines, so that has to be converted properly, I do not have the OD tools ..if that helped with that, so if you would try to use fiberfx or blenders way of converting, the newly created fur from those system would screw it up completely, apart from the point order as well.
What may work would be to use blenders free hairnet plugin, which can convert from polysheets/strips to simple polylines for hair, then do the process of converting to either the new hair tools, which you have to do first anyway before you can enter itĀ“s sculpt mode and convert to polyhair.

As for fiberfx short fur hair, absolutely, you can use that, and unlike daz exports, you can convert those to single polylines for use with blender in a much easier way I believe, since rendering Hair in Lightwave is out of the question for me.

There are some edit geometry convert tubes to lines in daz, but that I havenĀ“t gotten to work, and I need to get in to the S&M mode before entering that dungeon.

There is a new fur option in the newest blender, for easier startup with shorter fur hair, believe it or not, I still have to download that version..but it would probably be the best to do so as a priority rather than wrestle with daz hair, unless you aim to purely stick with daz and rendering inside daz.

For any fiberfx work I could use in the future within Lightwave, I would first need to upgrade to another Lw version that renders all that much faster, and it would need some better tools still for hair creation and grooming.

Last edited:
Back