Now hear me out here....this is crazy but...what if..now that Lightwave is under revival, why not make old versions [7.5 or below] free ?

I honestly cannot think of any possible reason they would want to do something like this.

Even as a consumer I can't think of any possible benefit something like this would bring.

I could understand it being done if LightWave was in the same position as Commodore and therefore something like this being done by the fans to cater to the retro market, but since LW is still a going concern, your proposal makes little sense to me.
It is simply marketing, isn't it?

And there will always be collectors.

I love the way it sounds having a BSG Lightwave3D edition including some scenes form the actual series...
Or a blood and chrome one!

Can you not magine how much people or potential users could learn from those scenes used for the series?

On the other hand, there are plugins that only work with older versions or only even on 32bit versions, or different versions of the render engine some people may prefer using.

I deff see a huge potential on that, sorry.

It is simply marketing, isn't it?

And there will always be collectors.

I love the way it sounds having a BSG Lightwave3D edition including some scenes form the actual series...
Or a blood and chrome one!

Can you not magine how much people or potential users could learn from those scenes used for the series?

On the other hand, there are plugins that only work with older versions or only even on 32bit versions, or different versions of the render engine some people may prefer using.

I deff see a huge potential on that, sorry.
No need to apologise. If you see its potential, then you see its potential. I just simply have a blindspot with how you've envisioned it.

I could probably say that there's potentially some viability to a Limited Edition training course. May be a Pro Studios Secrets series of training courses that come with videos and models or something. But a TV/Film production branded LW version from yesteryear? Nah. That smells too much like a desperate cash grab to me. I think it would have the opposite effect of helping the brand.

Last edited:
why not remove the day limit entirely and just have it that you can open the program or save for x number of times?
case in point - trialing rhino with 90 days atm and as you say, things get in the way. realistically that 90 trial turns into a few hours or a day or so at best.
I like that too.

The AuraDV installer from the Digit magazine coverdisc is found here: https://archive.org/details/digit-uk-051-2002

However, as previously noted, these coverdisc programs require registration to fully unlock. NewTek removed the registration web page years ago. This installer will only offer you 30 days of use without the registration number.

It will be nice finding out the version that major studios like Digital Domain, Cafe FX, Imagine Engine, Zoic, etc, were using for different commercials and films, and released them boxed for collection. Something like a studio version for studio, commercials, and films that were involved in superb projects like Titanic, Terranova, 300, and so on :)

Lightwave3D 7.5, 8, 9.6, 10, 11.6, etc... Wouldn't that be cool? Studio versions including content from those films.

It would be nice releasing some iconic versions for free...
Oh man oh man oh man....ENTIRE TV Series has been carried by a single version or two of Lightwave, example: Star Trek Voyager/DS9, ENTIRE MOVIE....Jimmy Neutron....
I wish Lightwave's contributions has louder shoutouts :D

Mr. Kevin who worked in Star Trek Voyager/DS9 told me this while I was making this video:
The lightwave version used for Star Trek Voyager: "Build 283, a beta build of Lightwave never released to the public. Technically it was version 5.7. Then later Lightwave 6.0."
Yap, you heard it from the man himself :D

Can you imagine:
"To celebrate the release of Lightwave 2025, we are selling as "Legendary Pack", Lightwave X.X, this version is responsible for the Movie or TV series xxxxxxx".

Last edited:
No need to apologise. If you see its potential, then you see its potential. I just simply have a blindspot with how you've envisioned it.

I could probably say that there's potentially some viability to a Limited Edition training course. May be a Pro Studios Secrets series of training courses that come with videos and models or something. But a TV/Film production branded LW version from yesteryear? Nah. That smells too much like a desperate cash grab to me. I think it would have the opposite effect of helping the brand.
Man if they pack scenes from Star Trek Voyager....I would cry....but then again there are a lot of "permission(s)" to ask for a franchises this big.

Last edited:
Oh man oh man oh man....ENTIRE TV Series has been carried by a single version or two of Lightwave, example: Star Trek Voyager/DS9, ENTIRE MOVIE....Jimmy Neutron....
I wish Lightwave got its recognition from these in a very public way.

Can you imagine:
"To celebrate the release of Lightwave 2025, we are selling as "Legendary Pack", Lightwave X.X, this version is responsible for the Movie or TV series xxxxxxx".
That was basically my point ;)

It will be nice finding out the version that major studios like Digital Domain, Cafe FX, Imagine Engine, Zoic, etc, were using for different commercials and films, and released them boxed for collection. Something like a studio version for studio, commercials, and films that were involved in superb projects like Titanic, Terranova, 300, and so on :)

Lightwave3D 7.5, 8, 9.6, 10, 11.6, etc... Wouldn't that be cool? Studio versions including content from those films.

It would be nice releasing some iconic versions for free...
Don't know what about your post made me remember that Toonz - used by Studio Ghibli - was released as open source way back in 2016 I think, and there is also a premium version being sold. Not saying Lightwave Digital should do that just noting that paid software can live alongside free software.

an old version could be ridiculous, slow, buggy, not compatible with new OS... low quality rendering, frequent crashes
I have every version from 4.0 up to 2015 installed on one of my workstations and they all work perfectly; even all the old commercial plugins I bought between 1998 and 2008.

NewTek never gave away old versions of LW on magazine coverdiscs. The only program that they gave away for promotional use was AuraDV. Its resolution was limited to SD (720x480). Wodney is speaking generally of the types of programs (from other developers) found on old magazine coverdiscs.

Here's an example of the Maya PLE edition: https://archive.org/details/digit-uk-058-disc-2-2003 (However, do not bother trying to download these discs for free software. Most of them still required you to register the free edition on the vendor's web site to activate it. This Maya PLE version will not work today. The web site registration form is long gone.)

Only "Discovery" editions of LightWave were offered freely on coverdiscs. This is the same crippled edition you can download from lightwave3d.com right now. Modeler will only save a certain number of vertices for an object and Layout will not save any scene file.
This is the version of Aura I have. Went through all the tutorials that came with it. As I mentioned, still have it on an XP virtual machine. DIGIT was a great mag. Out of interest DIGIT number 70 has Realsoft 3D 4.2, with the serial number on screen in the magazine program. I installed it on a virtual machine and it worked fine (Windows 7) even though it is basically a Windows 95/98 program. I remember getting RealSoft 3D free with an Amiga magazine and being astounded at how great and easy it was. I believe RealSoft 3D can still be bought. https://archive.org/details/digit-uk-070-2003

This is the version of Aura I have. Went through all the tutorials that came with it. As I mentioned, still have it on an XP virtual machine...
You don't need it in a virtual machine. Like LightWave, it is a mostly portable app. You can copy the AuraDV program files from the VM and run them on the latest version of Windows.

Back