Now hear me out here....this is crazy but...what if..now that Lightwave is under revival, why not make old versions [7.5 or below] free ?

BakuryuOh

Now hear me out here....this is crazy but...what if..now that Lightwave is under revival, why not make old versions [7.5 or below] free ?

What is there to lose ? Blender ? Blender is already free.

People who wants some of the most powerful features that modern 3D programs can offer will use Blender anyway, but by sanctifying old versions, it will allow nostalgic people in Youtube to start using it and talk about it [There are only two types of softwares, the one nobody use or the one people complains about] at least this will start the engine for Lightwave love again.

People who wants to try new Lightwave that will be released in the future can try the old sanctified version to see if they can "get used" to it.
There is nothing to lose, the old version of lightwave don't even have edge editing ! We can forget about everything else modern !
New lightwave will not be competing with itself with versions that old but it will give new people a taste of the operational style of Lightwave.

Is this idea CRAZY ?

Sure it must be made clear that there will be NO support, but what do you old timers think ? Would this bring new blood in ? Or this is so crazy an idea this bathtub should be thrown out WITH the baby ?

So I asked A.I. and A.I. says Fxxk you:

I understand your idea, but I believe it is not a good one. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Support: As you mentioned, there will be no support for the old versions. This means that users will be on their own if they encounter any issues or have questions. This could lead to frustration and a negative experience for potential new users.

2. Maintenance: Maintaining multiple versions of the software can be difficult and time-consuming. This could lead to a lack of focus on the current version of the software, which could result in a subpar user experience.

3. Branding: Making old versions of the software free could dilute the brand and create confusion for potential new users. It could also lead to a perception that the software is outdated or no longer relevant.

4. Revenue: While it may seem like a good idea to make old versions of the software free, it could also result in a loss of revenue for the company. This could make it difficult for the company to continue developing and improving the software.

Overall, I believe that it is better for the company to focus on the current version of the software and continue to develop and improve it. This will provide the best user experience for new and existing users.

This time I agree with AI: an old version could be ridiculous, slow, buggy, not compatible with new OS... low quality rendering, frequent crashes and force unnecessary effort to get results that are now very easy to get. Users would perceive the sw negatively even knowing that it is an old version.

It's not a bad idea. Actually I think it would be a good idea, and I said so on the Discord - before getting the H out of Dodge as Discord is probably the most useless thing anyone has ever come up with.

Release the final 32 bit version (or even the 64 bit edition but 32 bit should be fine) of 7, 8 or 9 as a gift to the world. They would need to do some coding to release it from the dongle requirement and maybe limit the amount of plug ins that can be used as an incentive to get the latest version but it's all very doable. Those editions are pretty stable and work with Windows XP upward I think. As I said on Dicord, they would be obligated to call it LiteWave :p

they would be obligated to call it LiteWave :p
As some have mentioned before, though I often am all for the free stuff, I think they need to do it the RightWay and not the LiteWave.
I doubt previous old versions would be something to attract new users, hardly old users except for those nostalgic, it could even be a negative to put out those versions.

What I think they could do though, that is to include older lightwave version content, up to some versions back, but also making it clear to which version the files belong to, and there are things that may not work in recent lightwave versions because of that, but that would give users more assets to study, and train on etc.

Perhaps include videotutorial bundles etc, plugin bundles etc..but that they may have in planning as well right now.

Last edited:
If it didn't work companies wouldn't do it. Free editions, "Lite" versions, Personal Learning Editions, etc. I'm old enought to remember computer magazines giving away older versions of software with a cheap upgrade path to the latest version - I bought a few myself. In fact the reason I got Lightwave (v 8) was via a crossgrade offer way back in 2004/2005.

I'm old enought to remember computer magazines giving away older versions of software with a cheap upgrade path to the latest version - I bought a few myself. In fact the reason I got Lightwave (v 8) was via a crossgrade offer way back in 2004/2005.
OOOOOO This is VERY interesting, if this is true that means there was a precedence...
What was the even older version of Lightwave you got for free in the magazine back then ?

NewTek never gave away old versions of LW on magazine coverdiscs. The only program that they gave away for promotional use was AuraDV. Its resolution was limited to SD (720x480). Wodney is speaking generally of the types of programs (from other developers) found on old magazine coverdiscs.

Here's an example of the Maya PLE edition: https://archive.org/details/digit-uk-058-disc-2-2003 (However, do not bother trying to download these discs for free software. Most of them still required you to register the free edition on the vendor's web site to activate it. This Maya PLE version will not work today. The web site registration form is long gone.)

Only "Discovery" editions of LightWave were offered freely on coverdiscs. This is the same crippled edition you can download from lightwave3d.com right now. Modeler will only save a certain number of vertices for an object and Layout will not save any scene file.

?
$50 for LW 5.6
$100 for LW 6
$200 for LW 7
$300 for LW 8
$400 for LW 9
$500 for LW 10
$600 for LW 11
$700 for LW 2015 LTS
$800 for LW 2018
$900 for LW 2019
$1000 for LW 2020 LTS

free copy of blender with every purchase :p

I'd like to buy a no dongle patch for some of the older ones. $50?

I think a better option would be a full 90 day free trial. 30 days is not enough as life can get in the way and then - well we all know how that goes. :)
why not remove the day limit entirely and just have it that you can open the program or save for x number of times?
case in point - trialing rhino with 90 days atm and as you say, things get in the way. realistically that 90 trial turns into a few hours or a day or so at best.

Here's an even crazier thought- develop the current version enough that people won't want to buy past out of date versions.

What is there to lose ? ...
For Lightwave Digital, what is there to lose?? Easy: time and dollars. Both are in limited supply right now.

Just because LWD would be giving old releases away for free doesn't mean LWD could do the distribution and support for the distribution for free.

Plus, did LWD actually get ALL the old releases in the deal?

OOOOOO This is VERY interesting, if this is true that means there was a precedence...
What was the even older version of Lightwave you got for free in the magazine back then ?

BakuryuOh, as Raymondtrace says it was general software, all sorts. But weirdly it was actually because of free software on magazines that I got Lightwave. Newtek were running a cross-grade offer of about £400 if you owned any other 3D software. All you had to do was send the serial number of that software and you would get a full copy of Lightwave. Cinema 4D SE had been given away by PC Plus and I had got a serial number for it. To my surprise it was accepted and I got Lightwave 8 pretty much half price. I remember paying an extra £50 for the printed manuals and was a bit dissapointed when only the thousand page manual was in the box, I was looking forward to the famous getting started tutorial with the spaceship.

Lol I have Aura from a magazine disk on a virtual machine. Still works fine.

It will be nice finding out the version that major studios like Digital Domain, Cafe FX, Imagine Engine, Zoic, etc, were using for different commercials and films, and released them boxed for collection. Something like a studio version for studio, commercials, and films that were involved in superb projects like Titanic, Terranova, 300, and so on :)

Lightwave3D 7.5, 8, 9.6, 10, 11.6, etc... Wouldn't that be cool? Studio versions including content from those films.

It would be nice releasing some iconic versions for free...

It will be nice finding out the version that major studios like Digital Domain, Cafe FX, Imagine Engine, Zoic, etc, were using for different commercials and films, and released them boxed for collection. Something like a studio version for studio, commercials, and films that were involved in superb projects like Titanic, Terranova, 300, and so on :)

Lightwave3D 7.5, 8, 9.6, 10, 11.6, etc... Wouldn't that be cool? Studio versions including content from those films.

It would be nice releasing some iconic versions for free...

I honestly cannot think of any possible reason they would want to do something like this.

Even as a consumer I can't think of any possible benefit something like this would bring.

I could understand it being done if LightWave was in the same position as Commodore and therefore something like this being done by the fans to cater to the retro market, but since LW is still a going concern, your proposal makes little sense to me.

Back