"MYSTIQUE FX" from Marvel Comics with LW Instancer

yes, might be possible,

was actually wondering if it could be done with true dynamics also. could be.
would require somewhat heavy calculations.
or possibly mixed techniques.

darn nice demo you did there tho'
2TMv2Ms.gif
bcwLfNX.gif
clothfx, bullet on strand guides only or very simple geometry, then metalink, if you aim for a full body suite, but I think it would be a trick perhaps to get individual variations, thus doing it on small parts I think would be better, the "glue" it together later, and you could repeat strips/parts that once have been manually deformed or cloth/fx bullet deformed.

Yes, very slick ..these are good examples to try with initially for newbies, since the other method would require more knowledge around metalinking, part move etc.

Actually, I don't want to recreate existing effects, they already exist. However, the underlying method may be useful for other animations.

The basic flipping effect can be done quite easily with instances. I'm sure there are other methods than this, too!
The object, let's call it feather, is simply animated with a 180° rotation and a little stretching in length.

View attachment 150176

The feather is instanced on a plane. This plane has a weight map with a gradient from 0 to 100. With the help of this weight map you can control the Time Offset of the instances.

View attachment 150177

Randomly varying stretching the length of the instances creates more randomness.

View attachment 150178

A procedural texture added to the Time Offset improves the "wave".

View attachment 150179

Finally, adding a procedural texture to the Time Scale improves it even more.

View attachment 150180

Viewed from the "other" side.

View attachment 150181

Easy to control with different weight maps.

View attachment 150182

Very handy can be that you can automatically adjust the size of the instances to the size of the underlying polygons (as Rene has already shown in his video).

View attachment 150183

With a crazy setup, you can also bend the individual springs as you turn them over (as they did in the movies).

View attachment 150184

But that would be easier to do with DPont's volumetric instancer (DP Instance , not for LW 2018 and above), because it can play back deformations with different time offsets for indivitual instances.

One more note: different methods of the effect appear in the movies. Most often there are two real shots that are blended with the overlaying 3D effect (turning feathers) only.

ciao
Thomas

hi thomas,

very nice. :)

and now do please the same with the function "polygons scaled by polygon area", because that is what i show.
by the way, your effect does not fade in or out but is always present.

so what you show are instances that all grow on the same size ground and animate.
in my example, the instances adapt to the dimensions of the polygons on which they grow.

and this is also important especially if you do it on objects that have curves like the human body. you want to avoid that the instances interpenetrate each other, which is partly the case with your examples. so one is to have a flat geometry on which you show the functions with some polygons. the other is a complex object like the human body.
there you will notice some effects that you will not notice or be able to show with a flat polygon. so the instances do follow the normal of the polygons when you animate them. but are these polygons "bent" to each other (and also their normal)...but still. great examples, which by the way you can also make with LW without the dP Node.

snip LWGuru

and now do please the same with the function "polygons scaled by polygon area", because that is what i show.

and this is also important especially if you do it on objects that have curves like the human body. you want to avoid that the instances interpenetrate each other, which is partly the case with your examples. so one is to have a flat geometry on which you show the functions with some polygons. the other is a complex object like the human body.

I also consider this to be a great advantage of this method.

That's what I meant when I pointed to your original video:

Very handy can be that you can automatically adjust the size of the instances to the size of the underlying polygons (as Rene has already shown in his video).

View attachment 150183

Unfortunately, I did not explain it precisely enough.

...but still. great examples, which by the way you can also make with LW without the dP Node.

No plugins were harmed for this project. :) All pure Lightwave. Only the bending animation would be faster to implement with DPInstance (even if it is native Lightwave here).

ciao
Thomas

sorry @ all the answer for thomas is in german. then i can explain better what i mean.

Hallo Thomas,

Worauf ich hinaus wollte ist das Instanzen die über den Bereich ihrer "Polygon Area" hinaus "wachsen" oder "rotieren" (weil Sie z.b. länger/grösser sind als die Polygon Area aus der diese entstehen) dies nur ohne sich zu überlappen oder zu durchdringen tun werden wenn die Polys aus denen die Instanzen wachsen absolut flach sind. (So wie Du es ja auch gezeigt hast) Dies ist bei menschlichen Körpern schlichtweg bei keinem einzigen Polygon der Fall. Das heisst alle Instanzen richten sich dabei dann nach den Normals der Polygone aus denen diese wachsen (mal angenommen man geht so vor und nicht anders) und das heisst bei starken "kurven" im Modell das die eine Instanz die nächste Instanz durchdringen wird (für den Fall das diese Instanzen grösser sind als die Polygon Area aus der diese wachsen). Das heisst wenn man instanzierte Geometrie benutzt die grösser ist als die Polygon Area aus der diese wachsen, sich bei stark gebogenen Körpern (z.b. der Ohrenbereich etc.pp) die Instanzen wenn man diese nicht der Geometrie auf der diese sich z.b."ablegen" anpassen, also dem kurvenverlauf der polygone auf denen diese instanzen sich ablegen folgen, sich durchdringungen und Überlappungen ergeben. Daher der Ansatz die Instanzen über polygon scaled by polygon area zu benutzen. Eigentlich müsste die Funktion aber heissen "instanz-grösse" by polygon area. Das heisst wenn man diese instanz grösse mit animiert (egal ob man da rotiert, oder auf und zu klappt oder mit weight oder alpha ein oder ausblendet) sowie diese instanzen wenn sie grösser sind als ihre polygon area sich so verhalten das diese sich nicht gegenseitig durchdringen. den ansatz dazu hattest du ja gezeigt mit der bend funktion. diese bend funktion muss man jetzt so automatisieren das diese sich die normals des objektes anschauen und an deren entlang diese aufgezogen werden. das heisst das bend set up muss so aufgebaut sein das dieses biegen so statt findet das die biege-stärke sich immer nur soweit ausführt wie auch die tatsächlichen normals entlang einer kurve (der z.b. körper geometrie) verbiegen. nur dann legt sich da alles sauber ab ohne sich gegenseitig zu durchdringen. Diesen Aufwand muss man aber nur betreiben für grossformatige stills denn da will ich keine sich durchdringende Geometrie sehen. Für Animations-Effekte bei dem zudem noch Motion BLur hinzukommt dürfte es also weniger tragisch sein so vorzugehen wie Du es gezeigt hast. Daher. Das Verbiegen der Instanzen entlang der Normals eines "gebogenen" Körpers wenn diese Instanzen grösser sind als die Polygon area aus der diese wachsen ist das Kern-Thema für "non-overlapping" Instanzieren. Daher. Bitte Unterscheiden zwischen grossformatiges Stills (z.b. Print) was solche Effekte angeht und Animation mit MB. Denn bei Animationen kann man da viel alleine durch den MB kaschieren und man sieht den Effekt ja auch nicht beliebig lange. Anders ist das eben bei Stills oder langsamer Animation des Effektes. Da bekommt das Auge mit das dass so nicht sein kann. Du weist schon. DJ Boolean. Wo ein Körper ist kann kein anderer sein. Insofern. Es kommt dabei auch immer darauf an wofür man das produziert. So genug Text. :)

snip LWGuru

EDIT

p.s. Im übrigen. Wenn Du deine Versuche auf gebogener Geometrie wiederholst wirst du feststellen das die Instanzen sich nicht mehr zu einer geschlossenen Fläche ablegen werden. Das heisst Du hast dann Durchdringungen der Instanzen und dann als Ergebnis eine "rauhe" Oberfläche. Bei meinem Beispiel sieht Du da aber da dort eine geschlossene saubere Geometrie-Oberfläche entlang eines gebogenen Körpers entsteht wenn man die scaled polygon area funktion bei gebogener geometrie anwendet. Aber das nur zum Schluss weil es mir gerade noch eingefallen ist. Es kommt also immer auf die spezielle Anwendung an für die man solch ein set up entwickelt. :)

Last edited:
@Thomas

Hier you can see that the instanced polygons along the normals and scaled by polygon area form a closed smooth surface even on curved geometry.

snip LWGuru

Google Translate >

sorry @ all the answer for Thomas is in German. then i can explain better what i mean.

Hello Thomas,

What I was getting at is that the instances that "grow" or "rotate" beyond the area of their "polygon area" (because they are longer / larger than the polygon area from which they arise) without overlapping or penetrating each other will do if the polys from which the instances grow are absolutely flat. (As you have shown it) This is simply not the case with a single polygon in human bodies. This means that all instances are based on the norms of the polygons from which they grow (let's assume you proceed this way and not differently) and that means with strong "curves" in the model that one instance will penetrate the next instance (for the Case that these instances are larger than the polygon area from which they grow). This means that if you use instanced geometry that is larger than the polygon area from which it grows, the instances of strongly curved bodies (e.g. the ear area etc.pp) if you do not adapt them to the geometry on which they are e.g. "deposited", in other words, the curve of the polygons on which these instances follow, resulting in penetrations and overlaps. Hence the approach to use the instances via polygon scaled by polygon area. The function should actually be called "instance size" by polygon area. That means if you animated this instance size with (regardless of whether you rotate there, or open and close, or fade in or out with weight or alpha) as well as these instances, if they are larger than their polygon area, behave in such a way that they do not penetrate each other . You showed the approach to this with the bend function. this bend function must now be automated in such a way that it looks at the normals of the object and along which they are drawn. This means that the bend set up must be structured in such a way that this bending takes place in such a way that the bending strength is only carried out as far as the actual normals bend along a curve (e.g. the body geometry). only then everything is neatly laid down without mutually permeating. But you only have to make this effort for large-format stills because I don't want to see any interpenetrating geometry. For animation effects to which Motion Blur is also added, it should be less tragic to proceed as you have shown. Therefore. Bending the instances along the normal of a "curved" body when these instances are larger than the polygon area from which they grow is the core issue for "non-overlapping" instancing. Therefore. Please differentiate between large format stills (e.g. print) with regard to such effects and animation with MB. Because with animations you can hide a lot with the MB alone and you don't see the effect for as long as you want. It is different with stills or slow animation of the effect. The eye can see that it can't be like that. You already know. DJ Boolean. Where there is one body there cannot be another. To that extent. It always depends on what you are producing it for. So enough text. :)

snip LWGuru

EDIT

p.s. Furthermore. If you repeat your experiments on curved geometry you will find that the instances will no longer settle into a closed surface. That means you then have penetrations of the instances and then as a result a "rough" surface. In my example you see there but there is a closed, clean geometry surface along a curved body when the scaled polygon area function is used with curved geometry. But only at the end because it just occurred to me. So it always depends on the specific application for which such a set up is being developed.

sorry @ all the answer for thomas is in german. then i can explain better what i mean.

Hallo Thomas,

Worauf ich hinaus wollte ist das Instanzen die über den Bereich ihrer "Polygon Area" hinaus "wachsen" oder "rotieren" (weil Sie z.b. länger/grösser sind als die Polygon Area aus der diese entstehen) dies nur ohne sich zu überlappen oder zu durchdringen tun werden wenn die Polys aus denen die Instanzen wachsen absolut flach sind. (So wie Du es ja auch gezeigt hast) Dies ist bei menschlichen Körpern schlichtweg bei keinem einzigen Polygon der Fall. Das heisst alle Instanzen richten sich dabei dann nach den Normals der Polygone aus denen diese wachsen (mal angenommen man geht so vor und nicht anders) und das heisst bei starken "kurven" im Modell das die eine Instanz die nächste Instanz durchdringen wird (für den Fall das diese Instanzen grösser sind als die Polygon Area aus der diese wachsen). Das heisst wenn man instanzierte Geometrie benutzt die grösser ist als die Polygon Area aus der diese wachsen, sich bei stark gebogenen Körpern (z.b. der Ohrenbereich etc.pp) die Instanzen wenn man diese nicht der Geometrie auf der diese sich z.b."ablegen" anpassen, also dem kurvenverlauf der polygone auf denen diese instanzen sich ablegen folgen, sich durchdringungen und Überlappungen ergeben. Daher der Ansatz die Instanzen über polygon scaled by polygon area zu benutzen. Eigentlich müsste die Funktion aber heissen "instanz-grösse" by polygon area. Das heisst wenn man diese instanz grösse mit animiert (egal ob man da rotiert, oder auf und zu klappt oder mit weight oder alpha ein oder ausblendet) sowie diese instanzen wenn sie grösser sind als ihre polygon area sich so verhalten das diese sich nicht gegenseitig durchdringen. den ansatz dazu hattest du ja gezeigt mit der bend funktion. diese bend funktion muss man jetzt so automatisieren das diese sich die normals des objektes anschauen und an deren entlang diese aufgezogen werden. das heisst das bend set up muss so aufgebaut sein das dieses biegen so statt findet das die biege-stärke sich immer nur soweit ausführt wie auch die tatsächlichen normals entlang einer kurve (der z.b. körper geometrie) verbiegen. nur dann legt sich da alles sauber ab ohne sich gegenseitig zu durchdringen. Diesen Aufwand muss man aber nur betreiben für grossformatige stills denn da will ich keine sich durchdringende Geometrie sehen. Für Animations-Effekte bei dem zudem noch Motion BLur hinzukommt dürfte es also weniger tragisch sein so vorzugehen wie Du es gezeigt hast. Daher. Das Verbiegen der Instanzen entlang der Normals eines "gebogenen" Körpers wenn diese Instanzen grösser sind als die Polygon area aus der diese wachsen ist das Kern-Thema für "non-overlapping" Instanzieren. Daher. Bitte Unterscheiden zwischen grossformatiges Stills (z.b. Print) was solche Effekte angeht und Animation mit MB. Denn bei Animationen kann man da viel alleine durch den MB kaschieren und man sieht den Effekt ja auch nicht beliebig lange. Anders ist das eben bei Stills oder langsamer Animation des Effektes. Da bekommt das Auge mit das dass so nicht sein kann. Du weist schon. DJ Boolean. Wo ein Körper ist kann kein anderer sein. Insofern. Es kommt dabei auch immer darauf an wofür man das produziert. So genug Text. :)

snip LWGuru

EDIT

p.s. Im übrigen. Wenn Du deine Versuche auf gebogener Geometrie wiederholst wirst du feststellen das die Instanzen sich nicht mehr zu einer geschlossenen Fläche ablegen werden. Das heisst Du hast dann Durchdringungen der Instanzen und dann als Ergebnis eine "rauhe" Oberfläche. Bei meinem Beispiel sieht Du da aber da dort eine geschlossene saubere Geometrie-Oberfläche entlang eines gebogenen Körpers entsteht wenn man die scaled polygon area funktion bei gebogener geometrie anwendet. Aber das nur zum Schluss weil es mir gerade noch eingefallen ist. Es kommt also immer auf die spezielle Anwendung an für die man solch ein set up entwickelt. :)

Hallo Rene,
danke für die ausführliche Erklärung. Ich verstehe die Problematik die du beschreibst und sehe es genau so.

Ich habe hier nur eine (einfache) Umsetzung der drehenden Federn mit Instanzen gezeigt. In den Filmen kommen, wie schon gesagt unterschiedliche Methoden zum Einsatz. Mein Beispiel funktioniert für die am Meisten benutzte Technik bei der zwei Realaufnahmen von Schauspielern "überblendet" werden. Dabei dienen die "Federn" als Effekt und gleichzeitig als Deckung für den Spliscreen. Da sie sofort wieder ausblenden müssen sie der darunterliegenden Form der Körper nicht ganz korrekt folgen. Ich baue anders als du darunter gar keine neue Geometrie auf. Was Durchdringungen angeht hast du recht. bei Stills kann das auffallen.

ciao
Thomas

The same in English:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I understand the problem you describe and see it exactly the same way.

I have only shown here a (simple) implementation of the rotating feathers with instances. In the movies, as I said before, different methods are used. My example works for the most used technique where two real shots of actors are "blended". The "feathers" serve as an effect and at the same time as a cover for the spliscreen. Since they fade out again immediately, they don't have to follow the underlying shape of the bodies quite correctly. Unlike you, I do not build a new geometry underneath. You're right about penetrations, which can be noticeable in stills.

Getting away from the flat plane!
As careful observers will already have noticed, the yellow planes cannot have been a coincidence :).....

Homer_09.gif

A few notes:
Unfortunately, the gif size is limited in the forum. That's why the size and the quality is not great.
The effect is slower than in the movies.
Homer Jay Simpson model was created by Ismael_jiso, found on www.thingiverse.com (for 3D printing).

A detail (still not great but better):

Homer_05.gif

ciao
Thomas

Last edited:
Wow! That work is simply amazing.
Hey Thomas, do you have any tutorials online? Your node based knowledge and techniques are something incredible. I seriously think you should release some training videos or courses man!

Wow! That work is simply amazing.
Hey Thomas, do you have any tutorials online? Your node based knowledge and techniques are something incredible. I seriously think you should release some training videos or courses man!
Side topic.

@inakito - Did you just post a suggestion to the LWD Films channel about reaching out to Thomas and others to get involved in the film project?

Back