"MYSTIQUE FX" from Marvel Comics with LW Instancer

It doesn´t look much like the real effects though, it moves too fast, and not much folding or displacement going on, and too much of a sharp cut off.
Though You can create similar effects with instances, I am wondering if it´s the" right "approach, or best approach to acheive that kind of effect.
Perhaps you just haven´t had time to enhance the effect with instances, using larger feather pieces, a bit random in scale and also get them to fold back on with a curl over the body, and also dissolve more slower an varied?

Why not make some featherlike shapes in strips, fold morph them after applied to the body, perhaps use metalink.
another option could be to part move rotate the hell out of a layer of scale feathers on top of the main body mesh.

The real effects looks feather like, scale like and unfolds and displaces a lot lot more....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Response. Because I describe the basic principle that then everyone can develop for themselves.
but I have no time to dwell on such details. then can the one who needs the effect and wants to use.

snip LWGuru

Why not make some featherlike shapes in strips, fold morph them after applied to the body, perhaps use metalink.
shouldn't be too difficult, i've done similar in the past.
but René simply wanted to show a cool trick, not necessarily the exact same thing.
a cool test never-the-less.

i Really liked the Hulk one. Very Nice.
xkjdNLp.gif

Quite nice, and more ripple displace effects which is more interesting, the colorscheme is a bit too much of small scale and too huge leaps between color tones, but it´s a matter or personal taste.

This effect combined with a gradient or procedural disolve should be more stronger within the so called mystique effect.

shouldn't be too difficult, i've done similar in the past.
but René simply wanted to show a cool trick, not necessarily the exact same thing.
a cool test never-the-less.

When we refer to a typical effect such as this mystique effeckt, that is what we should aim for, trying to do as best we can, or better, if we show basic principles to
emulate it, I think it´s good if it resembles it as well.

If the challenge is though, and time is limiting to showcase a basic principle...and use a different principle, that is what we should discuss if the method
is the best choice, or if there is other methods, new methods, or actually trying to solve it with according to the same principles they did for the original effect.
That is why I posted the samples on the process for the real thing.

I think that original process however is more time consuming, and Rene as stated don´t have the time for practicing that.
I still wonder if one need instances, or if morphs on dedicated geometry wrapped on to a body is enough, or if it can be combined.

Foremost, how to acheive the effect to be matching realisticly to the origina.
Secondary, how to do it efficient without complicating it too much.

It would be nice with a constructive discussion around the difference between the basics as Rene showcase and what process they actually went through for the real mystique effect, and perhaps if there is other ways as well.

I can see why they approached the effect with a kind of feather/scale parts and the skin turning and curling with backflipping, unfolding and showcase its underneath skin by this style of curling unfolding the feather scales, that is sort of what you need and not just waving elelements with a ripple effect and a gradient dissolving it, the dissovle needs to be more fractal and with variation in speed time.

Then you may ask yourself, how much time did it take to R&D this, and also finally if they had to resort to special code/tools for it.

To discuss that, we need more VFX behind the scenes showcases, more than what I just refered to.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't want to recreate existing effects, they already exist. However, the underlying method may be useful for other animations.

The basic flipping effect can be done quite easily with instances. I'm sure there are other methods than this, too!
The object, let's call it feather, is simply animated with a 180° rotation and a little stretching in length.

mystique_07.gif

The feather is instanced on a plane. This plane has a weight map with a gradient from 0 to 100. With the help of this weight map you can control the Time Offset of the instances.

mystique_01.gif

Randomly varying stretching the length of the instances creates more randomness.

mystique_02.gif

A procedural texture added to the Time Offset improves the "wave".

mystique_03.gif

Finally, adding a procedural texture to the Time Scale improves it even more.

mystique_04.gif

Viewed from the "other" side.

mystique_05.gif

Easy to control with different weight maps.

mystique_06.gif

Very handy can be that you can automatically adjust the size of the instances to the size of the underlying polygons (as Rene has already shown in his video).

mystique_08.gif

With a crazy setup, you can also bend the individual feathers as you turn them over (as they did in the movies).

mystique_09.gif

But that would be easier to do with DPont's volumetric instancer (DP Instance , not for LW 2018 and above), because it can play back deformations with different time offsets for indivitual instances.

One more note: different methods of the effect appear in the movies. Most often there are two real shots that are blended with the overlaying 3D effect (turning feathers) only.

ciao
Thomas

Last edited:
That´s the way Thomas, good job.
First I thought, just could rotate flip them..but you covered the bend effect lastly as well.
Would be nice to see it cover a body though.
And the rotation in such body cover would probably need to be done differently with nodes I suspect.

Lookin good.

DPont's volumetric instancer (DP Instance , not for LW 2018 and above), because it can play back deformations with different time offsets for indivitual instances.
Was dp instancer broken in 2018-2019.1.5?

DP Instance is Denis volumetric instancer, unfortunately it was never available for post LW2015 renderer. DP Instancer is his version of the Instance Generator and it is available for LW 2018 and above too.

ciao
Thomas

Yes I know it´s Denis.
Must have misunderstood you..it is working then for 2019.5, all the functions that is?

Yes I know it´s Denis.
Must have misunderstood you..it is working then for 2019.5, all the functions that is?

There are two Instancer plugins from Denis: DP Instance (volumetric instances) and DP Instancer (native LW instances). This can easily lead to misunderstandings.

Edit: Erik was faster.

There are two Instancer plugins from Denis: DP Instance (volumetric instances) and DP Instancer (native LW instances). This can easily lead to misunderstandings.
Yes, I suspected that, and saw something about it, haven´t used them much really, some time ago, thank´s for clearing it up.

yes, might be possible,

was actually wondering if it could be done with true dynamics also. could be.
would require somewhat heavy calculations.
or possibly mixed techniques.

darn nice demo you did there tho'
2TMv2Ms.gif
bcwLfNX.gif

Back