LW B747 Benchmark (LW 2020+)

It is a benchmark scene... you are not supposted to change it... it is a scene to render in order to meassure your hardware.... not about optimizations. :D
There is actually a thread related to this benchmark scene that is for looking at optimizations etc. Just so you know. :)

I understand that is the general principle yes.
You did you change from watertight to fast? though you recognized it seemingly do not affect the look, but still..you shouldn´t change.
And from the general point of view to measure hardware fine, but I already know it is slow as hell, what interest me is to optimize it.
Yeah... since it rendered quite fast on my machine, I offered some info on different settings etc regarding to Watertight vs Fastest and different sizes of the buckets. That was all I did.

There is actually a thread related to this benchmark scene that is for looking at optimizations etc. Just so you know. :)
I know now (not before)that there is a thread, but you didn´t post it.
Again..

But Goodnight Mikael, I said in post 135 that I will try and keep that for myself some days ahead and let you and others discuss hardware and benchmark only.
Would have to record the viewport refinement comparison for lw and blender perhaps, and I won´t post it here ..just to stay away from that topic, but it will be there on youtube to demonstrate why I can´t tolerate the slow rendering.

I am gladely accepting you borrowing me a pocket of coins, it´s probably not much.

:p

Last edited:
I know now that there is a thread, but you didn´t post it.
Again..

But Goodnight Mikael, I said in post 135 that I will try and keep that for myself some days ahead and let you and others discuss hardware and benchmark only.

:p:devilish:
Read the whole thread before posting, unless there are 20+ pages. :) It is a very good tip, and it only cost me like 10 öre to write that. All your questions today would have been answered by you doing what is expected of a forum user; read the thread, then reply.

Instead you storm in like a drunk guy causing mayhem... (that is a joke btw... :D).

Read the whole thread before posting, unless there are 20+ pages. :) It is a very good tip, and it only cost me like 10 öre to write that. All your questions today would have been answered by you doing what is expected of a forum user; read the thread, then reply.

Instead you storm in like a drunk guy causing mayhem... (that is a joke btw... :D).

Hoo..hoo....you seem to sit on very high horses. ( that is a joke of course)
:D
No ..sorry there are 8 pages, I do not follow each post due to saving time and not all interest me in the discussion, I don´t think you do either, I don´t expect others to have that patience for every thread either..and I wouldn´t dare to suggest to others to read the whole thread either instead of directly mentioning something if I can, I as well have suggested to read posts fromt the beginning, but in a different kind of way and tone, it depends how engaged you are in them.
There are no such thing as doing what is expected from a forum user in the sense they should read every post in the threads, that is all in your mind, and some others perhaps.

Joke?..You have no humour. 😁 Could be at the same level as mine at most.

I had not much of questions, there is none to answer except for the look of your images, and your hardware cost, if you find it smarter to advise anyone you directly have a post discussion with, to go back and read the whole thread instead of mentioning it, then there isn´t much to talk about.

I don´t drink and write.

Last edited:

so here is my test run of LW11 hangar interior
the lighting is trash here. but scene is ok other than that.

the above video is a long,
but the biggest lesson was to cut the number of Bounces, to get decent render times.
surprised me a tad, then again, it is an interior after all.
other than that, nothing too special. i always leave the AA low (4) and up the Light samples / Shading samples instead.
minimum pixel spacing is often set to 3 to cut render time. but maximum is set to 50 or such instead of 100 (default).
primary/secondary passes should be as high as possible for stills. but for anim this is set low, and fixed with at temporal video denoiser instead.

Last edited:

And you got your point in there in between the "got a cold'2 remarks(y)
To note, surfaces in lw 2015 and such is rendering a bit faster than PBR, and so if you think it takes forever, it would of course have been worse for you with lw 2019 on that same machine, doubt you would be rendering much faster.

Increasing the radiosity is needed though.
Milk and honey, then bed Erik.

LW11 scene file >

Milk and honey, then bed Erik.
i wish
6MlUquc.gif

have none of those atm.
maybe tomorrow.
bcwLfNX.gif

...the "got a cold'2 remarks
i had to
bcwLfNX.gif

Last edited:

the above video is a long,
but the biggest lesson was to cut the number of Bounces, to get decent render times.
surprised me a tad, then again, it is an interior after all.
other than that, nothing too special. i always leave the AA low (4) and up the Light samples / Shading samples instead.
minimum pixel spacing is often set to 3 to cut render time. but maximum is set to 50 or such instead of 100 (default).
primary/secondary passes should be as high as possible for stills. but for anim this is set low, and fixed with at temporal video denoiser instead.

LW11 scene file >

i wish
6MlUquc.gif

have none of those atm.
maybe tomorrow.
bcwLfNX.gif

3 litre of enduring light milk is Always stashed in my refrigerator, honey I usually have a bottle of liquid honey as well, but it run out the other day.
Ucrainian vodka is also something to look in to for the cold :)

How is your testing of the lw 2020 version going? have you used up the full testing period for rendering? or not even downloaded it?

Last edited:
Hoo..hoo....you seem to sit on very high horses. ( that is a joke of course)
No ..sorry there are 8 pages, I do not follow each post due to saving time and not all interest me in the discussion, I don´t think you do either, I don´t expect others to have that patience for every thread either..and I wouldn´t dare to suggest to others to read the whole thread either instead of directly mentioning something if I can, I as well have suggested to read posts fromt the beginning, but in a different kind of way and tone, it depends how engaged you are in them.
There are no such thing as doing what is expected from a forum user in the sense they should read every post in the threads, that is all in your mind, and some others perhaps.

Joke?..You have no humour. 😁 Could be at the same level as mine at most.

I had not much of questions, there is none to answer except for the look of your images, and your hardware cost, if you find it smarter to advise anyone you directly have a post discussion with, to go back and read the whole thread instead of mentioning it, then there isn´t much to talk about.

I don´t drink and write.
I thought you went to bed. :D And now you are thinking... "I thought YOU went to bed. :D

I thought you went to bed. :D And now you are thinking... "I thought YOU went to bed. :D

Yeah..could be something like that, but I honestly do not reflect about if you go to bed or not..even if you said perhaps you should.
Things got in my ways, testing fiberfx for Tim, testing more on this scenefile on another platform to see how close in quality I can get to what is so often nice in Lightwave renders.

So let´s try again, off to bed you go..I will give it a thought as well, thinking and doing isn´t necessarely the same.

i tried shots once (no, not gun shots) it worked. perplexed me a bit.
bcwLfNX.gif

tons of milk here too, hope to find a decent alternative.
6MlUquc.gif

can't stand the veggie stuff, unfortunately.
YI83NCf.gif

i tried shots once (no, not gun shots) it worked. perplexed me a bit.
bcwLfNX.gif

tons of milk here too, hope to find a decent alternative.
6MlUquc.gif

can't stand the veggie stuff, unfortunately.
YI83NCf.gif
Shot´s are awesome, galliano coffef shots perhaps, with enough amount of shots you will not recognize the cold.
But ..sleep and sleep, that is important, there is a day tomorrow to go out and catch the sun that is starting to warm up now, follow that order and you are on your way then to work more focused on this scene later on, if there is a tomorrow..let´s hope for that, now I really have to sign off.

Good night sir.

LW11 scene file >

i wish
6MlUquc.gif

have none of those atm.
maybe tomorrow.
bcwLfNX.gif

i had to
bcwLfNX.gif
Great! I have it downloaded now.... I think... I am so tired at this point... :D While I am at it... I just wanted to measure my fileserver related to Amiga... no... LightWave content... it is right now at 155GB of data just related to LW content and it just updated to 157GB... what the hell?

158GB

Oh well.... Looking forward to installing LW11.6.2. Is that the one you use?

161GB of LW stuff on the server... it never ends, does it? :D

184GB still counting... oh well... let me sleeep... :D

so the LightWave 11 render looked like >

View attachment 152321

followed by OiDN denoiser >

View attachment 152322

Darn it..have to log in and answer again.

There´s unfortunately too flat shading on the engine and the hangar roof.

I think you would have to take too much time unfortunatly to adress the shading, from what I can see I think you would get better renderings with that scene in blender..if rendering quallity and speed is the matter of it all rather than just confirming render speed on old versions etc.
You don´t have 2020 for the nicer light quality and pbr, and a too slow CPU, so go for something else is my suggestion, but then again..I know you like to mess around with it all to see what you can optimize, you do loose time though.

How much can you fix this 1 minute cycles render with the Gigapixel denoiser?
I only have the enlarger denoiser, so not sure how much extra you have there.
I will also compare with krita filters.
Image was a bit too over exposed, especially notable in the front of the plane, quite noisy, the brighness also have to do with the Fast GI method of add, and it´s ambient occlusion settings.

We could also perhaps post this that covers other changes on it... in that other thread where optimizing of this benchmark scene may be a better place?

Cycles 1min.jpg

Back