Lightwave volumetric Items, clouds and sky moods, planet clouds, fog, godrays Part 2.

Adding some tips when you want a star/solar flare in there.
Now, dpont sunsky and dpont sk_sunmotion is the only way I know of to align the lensflare with the manual rotation of a light, and you need to se a much larger value for out in space with those distances, as opposed to if you were setting up a ground landscape.

So the sk_sunmotion modifier won´t work with distant light or the newer sunlight hosek model in Lightwave 2019, it has to be set to sk sunlight, and of course you need to download that from dpont´s page if you do not have it already.

Be sure to enable glow behind objects so the flare is not shining through the planet if it´s rotated to be almost hiding behind the planet.

Now..
This gives a problem with the sunlight illumination color, when you use sk_sun and rotate it manually, or by location( you set this in the sk_sun panel properties)
It will become redish orange and simulating the behavior as seen from sun for the color attenuation.
Out in space however, this will not be correct or nice looking, see images of the problem.

How to fix, see image 3, where I simply reduced color saturation,(sun editing tab, not actual light color) this will cause the light to also change to more white as you then can see in the color palette right beneath the position controls, but that swatch color can´t be changed from there, only within the saturation values.

This image, the pitch of the sun is high, so the color isn´t that dramaticly orange ( never mind the actual light color set to yellow, that one doesn´t affect the illumated clouds or surface of the planets, should be white but for that artistic golden look, I have it set to that)

sk_sunlight higher pitch color.jpg

And here in this image, lowering the pitch of the sun results in changed color as you also can see in the sk sunligh color swatch, much more orange, and the color on the planet becomes to orange...

sk_sunlight lower pitch color change.jpg

And corrected light color illumination ..by simply go to the sk sunlight editing tab and change saturation, in this case set to 20%, but of course a full reduction to 0% would work as well...

sk_sunlight higher pitch_reduce saturation.jpg

mehh, got to fix some more stuff, fix cloud detail and shading, fix noise etc, as well as light color decays and more, make clouds thinner perhaps.
Just messing around a bit right now.
But I haven´t eaten anything since 7:30 this morning, so that´s about 11 hours and a half, my belly is purring, a night snack and maybe watching ISS live for inspiration.
So Goodnight Earth, wherever you are..and take care, just hang on there in space 🌏

Earth take care.jpg

Seems by far easier to just use Lightwave and various cloud tweakings, you can almost tweak it to your desired look if you have the skills and patience, instead of gambling, same with the surface or clouds, especially if it seems to take hours of time to get there with AI.

But of course, in time it will change and become easier for AI generators to create planets, not just with image diffusion techniques, but actually just implemented algorithms and data within a 3D tool.

Terragen is of course an option ...which we have covered before, Thomas Leitner knows this as well..
Below, just Lightwave..fully volumetric.

I have some test work I may do later where I would sculpt peaks of clouds, and do so with a sphere basis, or a half sphere basis, then convert to volume, and volume displace it..that I would do in blender though, but it can be exported with udz saving to vdb and then imported to lightwave and combine with below clouds, the problem is that VDB shading and volume item shading is a bit different, and thu´s hard to match, and even more so when it is two different volume components.

In blender it is no different in shading, the shader material is the same wether or not it is VDB, or Volume item, or Fluids, but then again..in there I miss the wonderful fractal textures Lightwave has in it´s arsenal, and it´s ease to setup with density curves, etc, that´s why you haven´t seen any planetary clouds from me made in blender yet.

So neither tool can provide full satisfaction to my planetery experiments and visions.

secondary-fractal-clamp-correction-jpg.150032
different-textures-jpg.150033

clamp-low-high-jpg.150031
without-envirolight-jpg.150029

planet-clouds-jpg.150034
Those are really good!

Those are really good!
Mehh..just testing, can be made much better, but thank you...if I get the passion to continue to tweak, I will.
But also, to push it to fantastic level, I should study and research real science and values behind much of this.

Getting right anisotrophy for clouds and atmosphere, absorbtion settings, scattering values etc, including the right combinations between the colors, set color length for lights etc...and that´s just for shading, then there are so much more that can be done by mixing cloud fractal layers, and make them thinner.

But thanks for the feedback, and have a nice night Tim or morning... wherever you are :)

A flare is a lens effect, so it must cover the planet ("rendered on top of the planet image").. And on at least two renders, the flare branch is missing..

A flare is a lens effect, so it must cover the planet ("rendered on top of the planet image").. And on at least two renders, the flare branch is missing..

Nope..
You can´t have a true lensflare like that in direct render, you either set glow behind objects or not, if you don´t have glow behind objects, you will have your star glow shine through the whole planet if it´s ever so obscured.(in this case, glow behind object is active, thus it will cut of the lensflare branch.
You can´t get this to work physicly correct either by using fade behind object and/or nominal distance...as far as I know.
Point lights makes no difference either as I am aware of.

What we would need is a lensflare that progressively adapts the flare depending on objects in front or distance, I believe vue has that function.
But for direct VPR rendering with a sunlight star effect that can provide that glow nearby a planet, this I have yet to find out how to..without postprocessing.

now try to make a sunflare like that with a directional light sk_sunlight and put it behind a planet a bit, but enough for it so it should provide more of a flare branch on top of the planet.

compositing ..yes.

Last edited:
These large real earth scale and the sunsky motion modifier, isn´t ideal.

But if you try and work with basic simple 1 meter planet, use a point light, set fade behind objects, move that sunlight down behind the object, and you will see it simply pop stop the flare instantantly, not progressively reducing the flare the more obscured it becomes..that is what we would need.

Perhaps it actually worked nicely in older Lw versions? I am not sure.

I just said what lens flares are from physical point of view, and how they should look like.
Obviously DP Light implementation using LWSDK Light class is unable to deliver it..
Because it would require volumetric class or pixel filter class or image filter class to make flares..
LWSDK Light class does not handle such things..

I just said what lens flares are from physical point of view, and how they should look like.
Obviously DP Light implementation using LWSDK Light class is unable to deliver it..
Because it would require volumetric class or pixel filter class or image filter class to make flares..
LWSDK Light class does not handle such things..
yes..but I knew that the lensflares aren´t providing real nasa lifelike shot.
Good that you point that out though, to discuss how to adress it.

May have to check with terragen and planet renders.
Ideally you would just like to use fade behind objects, but it´s cutting of the lensflare star streaks to abrupt when you move it behind any object, you may get close with proper nominal settings and distant fade, depending on how far you set your point light etc.

Not sure if it´s an issue with Dpont sunlight, or not..it´s the same I think with point lights, which is the only other light you can use with the lensflare...properly following it based on positon movement.. the other light is sk sunlight from dpont, with the sun motion modifier...based on rotation movement.

Unless someone else has a better tip?

As for stills, you can adjust this to your liking fairly decently, but animating it and see the sun go down behind the planet, and it will be a quick pop out from existence lensflare instead of progressively fading the flare out.
so in some of those images, I could adjust the flare to be in front, by just turning off the glow behind objects, or adjust fade behind objects.

this is the best way in LightWave imo,
the concept of course not completed (!)

- reason why i haven't continued that project = time
it takes a lot of time. set up correctly, the result can be Awesome tho'

second best way is to do it in post, using plugins

for animation > [$125]
After Effects - Optical Flares

or

for animation > [$Free?]
DaVinci Resolve Fusion - LFTools - Lens Flares for Fusion

(alternative > https://june3546.gumroad.com/l/OpticalFlares)

thought i'd Google it....

Midjourney Planet >

so no, not there yet, but in a year or 2 it will probably be at a level of photo-real

we wait...

Last edited:
Timestamped at the section concering AI morphing of images, using Runway to morph between various cloud renders to simulate a movement of clouds.
The original video otherwise from the beginnin covers creating the clouds by geometrical nodes and remeshing etc.

Runway is free, but I haven´t tested, I´m still in the Creation of clouds cradle.

not bad.

:)

should save tons of render time.
With a second thought, I don´t think I would use it for any realistic cloud movement, as it morphs between static images based on different cloud shapes, it can not account for any fluid rolling motion, it may look semidecent, but I would rather just invest in doing it right in Houdini or Embergen.

in cases like that, Optical Flow can be nice for rendering extra Cloud frames in a video editor.
here, Howler,
but any similar program should work.

however, using it on fast moving dynamics like explosions won't work well unless it is filmed at 48fps or such
and even then it can look funky.
2TMv2Ms.gif

worth a look, can be of use
very limited tho'
but the technique can be used for other stuff also

Blackmagic Fusion - Turn 2D images into 3D​

Back