LightWave Importer for Unity

It's a pleasure and we all have to gain :)

I made another example: a fractured cube that falls (Bullet) and breaks. Compared to the other example it is here directly triangle and there is no SubPatch but a much larger number of polygons. This brings changes in geometry and the way MDD is generated.

View attachment 148773

Attachments

• Fractured_Cube.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 477
It's a pleasure and we all have to gain :)

I made another example: a fractured cube that falls (Bullet) and breaks. Compared to the other example it is here directly triangle and there is no SubPatch but a much larger number of polygons. This brings changes in geometry and the way MDD is generated.

View attachment 148773

thanks. This is very helpful. I'm making progress - working on it when I have a an hour spare in the evenings. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

In the meantime, while I continue work on the MDD Deformer, I also found time yesterday to update the LWS Importer to version 1.27. It fixes a pretty significant bug that would affect users living in countries where the decimal separator character is not '.' and hence causes the import to throw a FormatException and completely fail! Argh!

Updates to both LWS Importer and LightWave Importer (which contains LWS Importer) have been approved by Unity.

Hi, thought I'd update you on the progress of the MDD Importer (name subject to change) with a quick video I just made:

The video shows the example MDDs imported, applied to meshes and playing in Unity. I'd say I'm 90% done on the code now for a v1 release. So that's most of the fun stuff done, now I have to write the docs, make a trailer, package it up etc.

It can be applied to any imported mesh, so an LWO should work equally as well as an FBX or an OBJ etc. One thing I might add in the future (but not for first release), is the ability for LWO Importer to recognise that you've got the MDD Importer asset and integrate nicely so mdd's can be applied directly in the LWO Importer Editor Inspector.

Anyway, I can think of loads of uses for this, and I'm pretty excited to get it out there. Hope you like it.

wow very nice! I didn't think I'd hear from you anytime soon.

I left a comment on the video. I have to find time to do an animation with Tafa. It exports MDD and as it is now offered for free it is a good point for importing MDD into Unity.

Good luck to achieve the rest :dance:

I have to find time to do an animation with Tafa. It exports MDD and as it is now offered for free it is a good point for importing MDD into Unity.

Good luck to achieve the rest :dance:

Thanks! If you manage to, let me know and I'll test it out with the mdd importer. Would it be ok to use the current .mdds you sent me as part of the youtube trailer?
Actually, would be great to have more mdds to demo the importer. If you or anyone has any they're happy to share for the trailer, send them over and I'll be sure to credit you.

Any progress on making an Exporter for Unity stuff to LW? Really could use it!!

LightWave Importer is one way only right now, LW>Unity. It would certainly be nice if it could keep a live connection somehow and write back any changes made in Unity to the lws file. But while this isn't impossible to build (nothing is) it does look like it would be quite difficult based on the current design philosophy of the tool, and I'm not clear on there being a compelling use-case or demand.
Perhaps you can describe your scenario? There could be a more achievable work-around...

Hello Chris and LW friends

I am new to working with Unity and bought your asset LW Importer.
Basically it works quite well. But I have problems with objects with bones.
I am not sure what to do where.
The bone objects are not visible.
Bone weight maps are set.
Maybe I have to bake something?
I am working with LW2020.0.2 and Unity 2021.4.5f1.
Is the assett for these versions still up to date or should I use LW2019?
The Unity version is given to me by the client.

In the attachment you can find a test scene.

Hope for some help.

Attachments

• Test5.zip
    614.6 KB · Views: 254
Hello Chris and LW friends

I am new to working with Unity and bought your asset LW Importer.
Basically it works quite well. But I have problems with objects with bones.
I am not sure what to do where.
The bone objects are not visible.
Bone weight maps are set.
Maybe I have to bake something?
I am working with LW2020.0.2 and Unity 2021.4.5f1.
Is the assett for these versions still up to date or should I use LW2019?
The Unity version is given to me by the client.

In the attachment you can find a test scene.

Hope for some help.
Hi Romizer
I've taken a look and yeah there does seem to be something going wrong.
You can make bones visible by checking Draw Bones on the scene import inspector. However the hand doesn't seem to be visible and I've no idea why.

I'm afraid I don't have time to look into it right now as I'm very busy with my proper work. Sorry! However I do intend to go back to Lightwave Importer when things have calmed down a bit and I hope to make it more robust and useful, particularly when it comes to bones and skinned animations.

Hello Chris

Thanks for the quick feedback!
Well then I keep my fingers crossed that everything goes as you want it and you find as soon as possible time to be able to look at.
Your Assett is worth its weight in gold!

Hello Chris

Hope you could finish your proper work so far.
It would be great if you could update the assett for bones and skinned animations.

Regards
R

Hi,

I think there is a bug in the LWO importer.

I am using Unity 2019.3.30f1 with LWO importer 1.83.

Imported LWOs (either saved from 2020.3 in lwo3 format or from 2015.3 in lwo2 format) are coming in with broken normals.

Some model work properly but others (and this is a simple quad, nothing more) are coming in white.

I have not been able to pinpoint what is going wrong yet. Any ideas?

Back