Lightwave 2020 on M1 Macs & Monterey

Curious to find out what might be the issue for me. System: M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" 2021 64GB running Monterey 12.5. Layout and Modeler open and work (no issues with Modeler) however, in Layout anything with being able to add bones, setup rig or anything else to do with bones or rigging cause immediate crash.

I've recently re-installed LW, seemed to go smooth. Modeler works, Layout still having issue with bones. I have opened older .lws scenes and some crash immediately when trying to move, edit, etc any bones. However, in some scenes with Genoma rigs, the rigs move but the mesh does not.

I have tried to create skeletons in Modeler and bring over to Layout, but same crash.

My initial suspect is maybe dealing with Python issues?? but I don't know enough about the integration to figure out what to check. I can bring up the Python console in Layout, and it opens with Python 2.7.16 (default). I can run some of the Python additional scripts (ie, Python create null) and that works.

Everything else in Layout appears to work (VDBs, particles, loading scenes, loading objects, rendering, lighting, etc.) but as soon as I try to touch a bone, zap, crash.

Any insight would be appreciated. Maybe kill config file? Never done that before. I killed the Hub but that seems to come back when I load a scene.

Any other suggestions from long term Mac guys or anyone using new M1. Thanks

Given your experience and others here, I'd rather not buy an M1 Mac right now. Maybe even for another 2 or 3 more years at least. These early silicon Macs are 'transition models'. Applications like Lightwave have not been recompiled yet to work on the new Macs. I more or less figured this would happen as it did last time when Apple transitioned from the PowerMac G5 to the Intel Macs. It took them 5 years to get it right.

PPC ran up to version 9.6, then dropped support at LW 10 (intel only).
I was running 9.6, then upgraded to intel Mac for LW 10, with no issues.

LW2020 has been tested working on M1 Macs with Big Sur.

I use bones for pose to pose animation for characters in layout..are you saying ,that lw will crash on new M1/M2 macs?

thanks
dl

To run the current LW on M1/M2 Macs, you need to use Rosetta2 mode, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to offer full compatibility, and it crashes when trying to draw INACTIVE bones in Layout viewports... ACTIVE bones are drawn fine so it's safe (e.g. when loading an existing scene with all bones active). However, once you deactivate any bones, it crashes...

Running LW with macOS Monterey on Intel Macs does not cause OpenGL crashes as seen on M1/M2 Macs (needless to say, because not in Rosetta2 mode).

If you want to continue using LW on Macs from now on, I highly recommend getting at least one of the last Intel Macs available today, to have your peace of mind for years to come.

We 3D adventurers in the wilderness must not venture without a safe base.

Motorola 68k, ppc, Intel, m1, classic, carbon, cocoa... all Macs are transition models. :)

That's why I refuse to spend more than $500 on a used silicon imac until Apple establishes a credible & stable roadmap.

Ya won't catch me spending $6000 on their latest Silicon Studio that's fer sure. And I'm a long time user of their products.

They've had 4 major OS upgrades in just 2 years. By contrast Windows has had 1 & current users of Windows 10 will stll be valid til at least 2025.

Apple had better smarten up or else it's existing user base will start deserting them. If not Windows than many will adopt Linux soon.

Apple had better smarten up or else it's existing user base will start deserting them. If not Windows than many will adopt Linux soon.
I disagree. The performance of the new Macs has been stunning and Macs are selling well. I have a silicon Mac and the real question is not about Mac users dumping Macs, it's whether Mac LW users dump LW or buy an additional intel Mac just for LW.
They've had 4 major OS upgrades in just 2 years.
Just imagine how LW users would feel if we could say the same for LW..

Last edited:
They've had 4 major OS upgrades in just 2 years. By contrast Windows has had 1 & current users of Windows 10 will stll be valid til at least 2025.

This is false, new versions of MacOS are once per year.
There are other threads here, where LW users have 'major' issues whenever W10 does an update.

The bigger picture is when will current machines, Win or Mac stop running LW if on latest OS.

This is false, new versions of MacOS are once per year.
There are other threads here, where LW users have 'major' issues whenever W10 does an update.

The bigger picture is when will current machines, Win or Mac stop running LW if on latest OS.

Oh. I was under the impression Apple had just introduced 10.14/.15 just a few years ago. Then shortly after it was OSX 11, then 12 & recently OSX 13.

So I count that as being 4 major upgrades within the span of just 2 years.

Am I missing something?

Oh. I was under the impression Apple had just introduced 10.14/.15 just a few years ago. Then shortly after it was OSX 11, then 12 & recently OSX 13.

So I count that as being 4 major upgrades within the span of just 2 years.

Am I missing something?
Yes you are.
New versions are released annually.
10.14 - 2018
10.15 - 2019
11 - 2020
12 - 2021
13 - October 2022

Yes you are.
New versions are released annually.
10.14 - 2018
10.15 - 2019
11 - 2020
12 - 2021
13 - October 2022

Well I think that's still too much esp since these OS upgrades often require the purchase of new hardware to accommodate them.

The avg user can't afford to shell out $5000 every year or each time a new OS is released.

Sure $5000 maybe every 5 year but not annually or every 2nd year.

So I'm starting to think a linux/windows PC may be a better choice if longevity is a factor.

...There are other threads here, where LW users have 'major' issues whenever W10 does an update...

That's not reality. Windows 10 updates may occasionally affect some drivers, including graphics drivers. It is not a major issue to switch back to the vendor's graphic driver. The issues reported here are more often incompatibilities between LW2019 and newer 3xxx Nvidia cards, resolved with some help from the LW2020 trial version.

Well I think that's still too much esp since these OS upgrades often require the purchase of new hardware to accommodate them.

The avg user can't afford to shell out $5000 every year or each time a new OS is released.

That's not reality. Apple does not force new hardware with each OS upgrade.

...So I'm starting to think a linux/windows PC may be a better choice if longevity is a factor...

The reality is that there is one platform where you can ensure longevity as a LW user. Can a modern Mac do this? Can a Mac from 10 years ago?

LW4-WIN10.png

So I'm starting to think a linux/windows PC may be a better choice if longevity is a factor.
ROFLMAO! Good luck with that!

Ars - Windows 11 Requirements (note the bit about CPU requirements).

The "Only Apple forces buying new hardware!" argument hasn't been true for a while, towards end of Win10 releases MS "embraced silicon innovation" too.

MS - "The processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using" error when you scan or download Windows updates

ROFLMAO! Good luck with that!

Ars - Windows 11 Requirements (note the bit about CPU requirements).

The "Only Apple forces buying new hardware!" argument hasn't been true for a while, towards end of Win10 releases MS "embraced silicon innovation" too.

MS - "The processor is not supported together with the Windows version that you are currently using" error when you scan or download Windows updates

You know perhaps both Windows & Mac are in major transitions. Windows going from 10 to 11 & Mac from Intel to Silicon. So in either case there are incompatibilities due to new hardware requirements. Software that used to work on the older hardware no longer does on the new. On the other hand it goes the other way too with new software releases may not work with slightly older hardware.

For this reason I'd wait another 2 or 3 years before the dust has settled prior to undertaking major hardware upgrades for either platform. Perhaps both Mac & Windows aren't entirely certain about their plans or upgrade paths yet.

Perhaps 2025 might be a good time to buy a new system(s)?

Last edited:
The Lightwave 2015 installer won't even start on my Macbook M1. I assume it's Intel only?
This is irrelevant, all (recent) versions of LW are 'intel' and run in Rosetta on M series Macs.
There is no native AS version (yet).

This is irrelevant, all (recent) versions of LW are 'intel' and run in Rosetta on M series Macs.
There is no native AS version (yet).
Is there anything special you have to do to get them to install/run? The 2015 installer does nothing when trying to run it for me.

Not sure sorry, I am still using intel Mac.
I know many people have newer versions running on M1/M2 Macs.

As a side note, LW2015 will NOT work properly after High Sierra on ANY Mac.
Most of the buttons show black squares, so basically unuseable.
This was a change Apple made in Mojave.

Back