Kryslin's Python Questions

Between Oliver's assistance and some boneheaded persistence on my part...
It's often that.

Coincidentally, talking about hair and Oliver, I was cleaning up some OD Tool menu items, making them shorter yet more meaning in naming, and I came across one of his scripts just named Import OBJ Curves. OK. What's that?

Well, it happens to do what I've been asking about for a couple of years now; not necessarily here but over on the Daz forums. Just crickets.

A few years ago Daz introduced their dForce hair. Nice stuff and can be simulated, but it can only be exported as curves, not mesh, so of no use to me. Well, it can, but they only give that special tool to their anointed artists. Daz's logic often escapes me.

But the OD script does that. It imports the curves with various options. I've still some tests to do with it and LWCad's Profiler tool, but looks hopeful.

A question:
I was noticing that the Sketch Color tool (under the details tab) manages a little swatch of color next to the text entry.

How is this accomplished? Could it be done with a button?

I was thinking about making a version of the Sketch Color tool that presented the choices as buttons. Bring up plugin, press button, done.

Ironically, I was thinking about the same for surfaces (for assigning existing surfaces), but that could get unwieldy fast.

It's often that.

Coincidentally, talking about hair and Oliver, I was cleaning up some OD Tool menu items, making them shorter yet more meaning in naming, and I came across one of his scripts just named Import OBJ Curves. OK. What's that?

Well, it happens to do what I've been asking about for a couple of years now; not necessarily here but over on the Daz forums. Just crickets.

A few years ago Daz introduced their dForce hair. Nice stuff and can be simulated, but it can only be exported as curves, not mesh, so of no use to me. Well, it can, but they only give that special tool to their anointed artists. Daz's logic often escapes me.

But the OD script does that. It imports the curves with various options. I've still some tests to do with it and LWCad's Profiler tool, but looks hopeful.

Getting daz force hair to lightwave without any plugin, apart from using blender 3,4 alpha..

Standard mohawk dforce hair sample in daz.

Just installed daz studio again after I had my computer crash, so it was about time to get that going, though it was a mess to install all the sh..t
And versions, I previously had 4.9, it is now called 4.2?

Anyway I just want to let you know that I tested daz hair, set tesselation to 2, not 2 or 1.
Export to obj, open in blender, convert to curves, they are now curve shapes that can be given thickness with the geometry tab and bevel thickness..if you want that.
But for hair, don´t add any bevel thickness, just convert once again to the empty hair type curves, the curve options at the bottom.
You can no go to the sculpt mode and sculpt with the new empty hair types, do a hair snake draw for prolonging the hair as you want :)

Now..to get this to Lightwave, you have to first go to the object data properties for the empty hair curves(little curve icons) select surface..which would be the genesis female for example.
only then can you go in to sculpt mode ( the hair sculpt mode) and go to the curves menu (next to view, select) and in that drop down list choose convert to particle hair.

Go out of sculpt mode, uncheck visibility for the curve hair, it is still there, but uncheck it so you do not confuse it with the newly created particle system Withing the genesis female main character, and that will be found under the particle tab, but make sure you select the main genesis female character before you look for it.

Now..I have something not fully working when entering the particle edit for hair in this case, may be able to solve that, but we are not going in to that now, just go to the modifier tab of the genesis femal character, and convert to mesh, export to obj..that´s it.

You will now have a figure and hair that you can apply fiberfx to in Lightwave, but you will need to split the hair from the main body, but for me it works ..without crashing so far.

It´s a bit tedious in it´s process, for me though, less tedious when I exclude using lightwave, then I have two options probably to work with, blender new hair or particle hair, if I solve the issue with the particle hair not staying true to it´s original conversion, may have to apply some transform actions in blender..we´ll see.

Images below, did a snake hook sculpt on the blender sample with blenders new empty hair curves, just to check if it works.

DAZ.jpg

Blender.jpg

Lightwave.jpg

fiberfx.jpg

That's quite nice & encouraging. Could you setup & do a quick F9 render using an HDR?

Now..to get this to Lightwave, you have to first go to the object data properties for the empty hair curves(little curve icons) select surface..which would be the genesis female for example.
only then can you go in to sculpt mode ( the hair sculpt mode) and go to the curves menu (next to view, select) and in that drop down list choose convert to particle hair.

Leave it to Daz bury things in their menuing system. And of course no real docs.

I've been acquiring animal products that use the dForce hair when they go on sale.

That's quite nice & encouraging. Could you setup & do a quick F9 render using an HDR?
No..most likely not unfortunately, rendering fiberfx hair in Lightwave native renderer is a torture for me, can´t stand waiting for the AA to resolve, and there are some issues with fiberV to be resolved, mainly adjusting flipping direction of curves in blender before export to lightwave before you can render it properly.

Im doing all hair and fur renders in blender, there is no reason not to, much faster and it´s principled hair looks by far better as well compared to lw 2019, 2020 may be looking better but I am not getting in to that anyway.

If I get the time I may record some of the steps needed for getting these dforce hair to blender as a mesh object, convert to new hair types, convert to older particle hair in blender, and convert to mesh and out to obj for Lightwave..but..I need inspiration and time to do that.

It´s so gloomy and winter cold these days this month and next month over here, so not much energy, and it´s beddy time now for me soon. :)

slow fiberfx.jpg

Just tested the strand hair editor as well, looks quite nice to comb and style, symmetry paint of density is there, however after distribute the hair by the density map, and then styling, I do not see any style symmetry tool, so that I miss a bit.

Otherwise combing seems nice, unpar with blenders maybe, cutting is there as well, individual moving of tip and strands etc.

Export to blender worked without issues as well, apart from that the obj character comes in rotated wrongly, have to set another export value I think to avoid adjusting in blender.
parenting of the hair mesh to the main figure is also the proper thing to do.

Will try blender render later, but this first test was exported with Way to many fibers, haven´t tested yet, but when this is converted to curves, that may be too heavy for blender..with so many strands to curve shapes.

Another option instead of converting to blender shape curves, and then to the new hair curves etc...would be to use older blender versions and hair net plugin, not sure if that plugin is updated for blender 3,4.
With that you could convert to particle hair directly from any mesh, or polystripe.

daz strandbased hair groom.jpg

daz hair toblender import hair groom.jpg

too much 3D today...didn´t eat anything between 7:30 this morning and 19:00 in the evening, and after work I got caught up with the daz installation and testing the hair tools.

So ok..let´s try this again, and off to bed I go:whistle:

No..most likely not unfortunately, rendering fiberfx hair in Lightwave native renderer is a torture for me, can´t stand waiting for the AA to resolve, and there are some issues with fiberV to be resolved, mainly adjusting flipping direction of curves in blender before export to lightwave before you can render it properly.
Fair enough. Would shorter hair things, i.e. fur, be different? Less nodes, knots on the curves for it to deal with?

Is it possible to post what you got out of Blender, even a smaller sample?

Even the mesh hair I get out of Daz varies with the artist, so some are easy, some aren't, particularly the multi-layered styles.
Im doing all hair and fur renders in blender, there is no reason not to, much faster and it´s principled hair looks by far better as well compared to lw 2019, 2020 may be looking better but I am not getting in to that anyway.

If I get the time I may record some of the steps needed for getting these dforce hair to blender as a mesh object, convert to new hair types, convert to older particle hair in blender, and convert to mesh and out to obj for Lightwave..but..I need inspiration and time to do that.
T'would be wonderful. I've been really delving into instancing for landscapes of late. But want to get back to the hair/fur thing soonish.
It´s so gloomy and winter cold these days this month and next month over here, so not much energy, and it´s beddy time now for me soon. :)
Today there's actually visible sunshine. Pushing 60 F. even.

And I wish I could enjoy that. It's a long story, but instead of me re-registering my car, I'm now having to look for a replacement. One of my least favorite activities.

Fair enough. Would shorter hair things, i.e. fur, be different? Less nodes, knots on the curves for it to deal with?

Is it possible to post what you got out of Blender, even a smaller sample?

Even the mesh hair I get out of Daz varies with the artist, so some are easy, some aren't, particularly the multi-layered styles.

T'would be wonderful. I've been really delving into instancing for landscapes of late. But want to get back to the hair/fur thing soonish.

Today there's actually visible sunshine. Pushing 60 F. even.

And I wish I could enjoy that. It's a long story, but instead of me re-registering my car, I'm now having to look for a replacement. One of my least favorite activities.

I'm in bed now...
back tomorrow for checking what can be done with daz etc.

Back