Key my text through different fonts.

PabloMack

SciEngArtist
A week or two ago I was showing SpeedEDIT to a friend of mine. He uses Pinnacle and Premiere at home and his work has just standardized on Macs so they use Final Cut Pro. I showed him how SpeedEDIT can display your text in any of the installed TrueType/OpenType fonts. He went on to ask if I could select a different font for the text I had already entered into a Title Page. SpeedEDIT could do that. After that he wanted me to select the font select field and then use my Down and Up Arrow Keys to scroll through all of the fonts while automatically changing the selected text in my Title Page to the font under the selection cursor. SpeedEDIT could not do that. My friend says that he uses that feature in Final Cut or Premiere all the time. What a neat feature. Could you guys add that to SpeedEDIT some time? It would be nice.

Sounds like your friend was going to keep asking till he found SOMETHING....

:)

This is probably true. I felt like he was digging to find something that SpeedEdit couldn't do to justify in his mind the path he had already taken. But I am an Apple hater because I don't like dictatorships and Adobe is on my ****-list because their software takes over my system and makes it mis-behave even when I am not running Adobe software. Newtek software runs well and doesn't interfere with the rest of my system. So that is what sold me on SpeedEdit. Besides, its pretty darn good. There are just a few things that I would like to be fixed.

Yea, I just had a job interview where I spent WAY too much time 'discussing' with the guy why I don't use Final Cut Pro. Told him sure, I guess we should all learn the 'industry standard' software in order to get every job available, but that I never had a job where I HAD to learn it so I always felt my time was better spent creating with what I know instead of 'going back to school.'

I told him if he hired me I would bring in my own editing machine and if he had any problem with the final product he could boot me out the door immediately. Who cares what tool you use as long as the end product is what is asked for?

Of course I didn't get the job.. so maybe I need to rethink that 'going back to school thing'
head-lice.gif

:cursin:

I am tempted to tell you to stick to your guns. Apple being the "industry standard" is more and more becoming a thing of the past. I belong to what used to be a LightWave user's group and is now more of a visual effects user's group. That group is pretty heavy in Apple users and they are telling me that Apple is slipping further and further behind in the way of visual effects. You might also consider that most video editing shops are pretty low-tech and few Final Cut users can do very much in the way of real 3D. My friend knows a lot about video but he is totally lost when it comes to the sorts of things that are done with LightWave every day.

I am tempted to tell you to stick to your guns. Apple being the "industry standard" is more and more becoming a thing of the past. I belong to what used to be a LightWave user's group and is now more of a visual effects user's group. That group is pretty heavy in Apple users and they are telling me that Apple is slipping further and further behind in the way of visual effects. You might also consider that most video editing shops are pretty low-tech and few Final Cut users can do very much in the way of real 3D. My friend knows a lot about video but he is totally lost when it comes to the sorts of things that are done with LightWave every day.

Weird thing is that I got the interview because he was very impressed with my demo reel. When I explained I made all of that with mostly Speed Edit (which he literally rolled his eyes at), some Premiere, some Vegas and even a little Flyer he seemed to completely lose interest and began the slow dismissal.

Personally I have nothing against Apple and their products. I bought my fiance a sweet sweet MacBook aluminum and have my share of iPods. I even put FCP on her machine and have started tutorials a few times to catch up, then got bored and said screw it, I could have just spent the last hour actually working on a client's project and finishing something.

Amen brothers!

I have 2 FCP computers in offices for desktop editing, but 3 VT5 and SpeedEDIT2 full edit bays. And now we are going HD Tricaster for broadcast.

I've always been there for our folks with the apple machines when they have something their FCP can't do or does incredibly slow. I just started telling people that Final Cut is a fine program but if I need some serious TV work I'll use SpeedEDIT2.

I hardly ever open AfterEffects with SP2. Premiere is a fine program. I did 500 something commercials on it. But it is so frustrating after you use SpeedEDIT2.

They all are, Avid, Vegas, FCP, Lightworks, are all a pain in the patootie once you've tried SP2.

Last edited:
After my rant I realized I didn't comment on your feature request. Yes that would be neat to see the text change on screen while scrolling. That's a fun feature. I'm sure the people at NewTek will be able to work that in some time. Until then I've been selecting the font box and using the center wheel on my mouse to quickly select different fonts on screen. They update instantly and I can easily see how they will look. Then I hit undo till I get back to the one I like.

But I am an Apple hater because I don't like dictatorships

Sir. You've just made my day.

I can't tell you the amount of bile that company's policies make me bring up everytime they spew off into their b.s. marketing speil on how their products are the second coming.

The fact that they have so many blind weak minded followers who simply refuse to see the truth about that awful awful company is truly a sad picture that mankind paints of himself.

I really restores my faith in mankind knowing that there are people like your good-self out there who see them for what they are and that I'm not alone.

God speed to you sir.

I love my MAC pro 8 core. Apple makes some fine machines.
However, I rarely use OSX, it get's used via Bootcamp to run XP and as soon as I figure out how to load a second Bootcamp instance I will install Win7.
I have great rages of disgust at the ridiculously convoluted layout of FCP and the bigger rendering times of .mov as compared to .avi and m2t used by SE2.
Previously, I built my own PC's from parts but I got tired of keeping up with the specs and ever changing component non-standards. This time I let Apple do it for me and like the experience.

Weird thing is that I got the interview because he was very impressed with my demo reel. When I explained I made all of that with mostly Speed Edit (which he literally rolled his eyes at), some Premiere, some Vegas and even a little Flyer he seemed to completely lose interest and began the slow dismissal.

Its for the best. You don't want to end up as an endentured servant under the thumb of a putz that can't see clearly through his apple-blossum colored glasses.

I have never used the pro version of Premiere but I experienced a rather amusing catastrophe on the "Elements" version of Premiere one time. I had already lost my project on a Pinnacle Liquid 6 crash and couldn't even run the program because of its LOUSY design flaw of automatically trying to load the last project I was working on before becoming "ready for use" (what a horrible mistake made by their software development team!). Anyway, I started the project over on Premiere Elements. When I got to about 25 minutes into the timeline, Premiere crashed spectacularly. The timeline clock was going backwards and all of the gadgets were going haywire with seemingly random behavior. I've never seen a software crash like it before nor since. I had to bring up the window manager and abort the program because it never achieved a memory access fault. It just kept going. Needless to say, I have lost all interest in Pinnacle and Premiere ever since. I still have and use AfterEffects occasionally. I have never used Final Cut and probably never will because it only runs on the Mac.

Premiere is a fine program. I did 500 something commercials on it. But it is so frustrating after you use SpeedEDIT2.

Avid, Vegas, FCP, Lightworks, are all a pain in the patootie once you've tried SP2.

Thank you Ty Whitaker for your experienced opinions. They really give me the warm fuzzies. :beerchug:

Don't get me started on Avid...

Friend of mine is an Avid Editor - FULL TIME. He works for a group that ONLY uses Avid. They won't think of using anything else. I have seen him editing in his sleep, and I'm not kidding.

One time I told him it takes Avid a long time to change trains of thought. He told me, "yeah, that's true. Once you have all your media loaded in, and if you're just editing and not going to capture for a while, it's good to turn the 'Adrenaline' box off. (This is the huge external Input/Output rack unit of an Avid system.) That stops the software having to think through it over the firewire bus all the time. You have to reboot to link them up again though. And you can't watch your edits on your external monitors."

Anything that is called 'Adrenaline' but works faster when it's OFF should come with sizable weekly paychecks from the manufacturer just for the hassle of having to use it.

And if they loved your demo but wouldn't hire you because of your tool, you DON'T WANT TO BE WORKING FOR THEM! THEY ARE MORONS. They must be narrow minded enough to put their heads through a mailbox.

Last edited:
And if they loved your demo but wouldn't hire you because of your tool, you DON'T WANT TO BE WORKING FOR THEM! THEY ARE MORONS. They must be narrow minded enough to put their heads through a mailbox.

He did not say it specifically but as soon as he found out I didn't know FCP his entire demeanor changed. He said they only had FCP in their bays (all 2(!?) of them) and that's when I said I would bring in my own editing rig, hook it to his monitors and leave it there. I asked if the two bays ever had to share footage thinking there would be a pipeline Pro-Res problem or something and he said no. :shrug:

Maybe I wore the wrong tie, or very possibly he just interviewed a suitable editor that DID now FCP, that's understandable. I can't say 100% that was the reason but what I can say 100% is that he didn't even seem to care much after the no FCP info. I think the room even got 5 degrees colder.

I interviewed at a TV station today for a cameraman position and when I told the guy I could also edit he asked...."You use Final Cut Pro?"
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
traurig007.gif

where the f%$^% are those tutorials?
ranting3.gif

Show him your demo reel & say "I don't need Final Cut Pro." Then turn around & walk away. But you have to have one of those jackets with the big smiley face on the back.

Ever wonder how many people asked Michelangelo what brand of chisels he used, or gave Rembrandt a hard time over his favorite brush supplier?

Why does the word "effete" come to mind ....

Back