Interior Unity DXR

Yanus 3D

All models Lightwave (or imported to Lightwave).
Edition: Modeler + LWCAD
Render engine Unity DXR system
Render speed for FullHD: 10-30fps.
There are some small glitches GI/SSSR/AO or AA issues but at this my performance mode I do not need more quality (In pdf presentation or printings, looks perfect)
This Interior is my testing surface area in Unity for my custom Unity Nodes System.

Attachments

• Interior_DXR_005_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_005_.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Interior_DXR_007_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_007_.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Interior_DXR_009_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_009_.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 247
  • Interior_DXR_014_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_014_.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Interior_DXR_015_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_015_.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Interior_DXR_016_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_016_.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Interior_DXR_018_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_018_.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Interior_DXR_025_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_025_.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Interior_DXR_026_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_026_.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Interior_DXR_033_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_033_.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 236
Interiors give the opportunity for great lighting, so for stills my choice would be to use Maxwell Studio 5's GPU render engine.

All models Lightwave (or imported to Lightwave).
You should upload your interiors to TurboSquid and similar websites, for people to buy, and write there clearly and immediately visible "made by LightWave".. It would be the best marketing for this app..

For large renders, it is usually an overnight render even with a good GPU. Unity/Unreal are producing surprisingly great renders for real-time output!

For large renders, it is usually an overnight render even with a good GPU. Unity/Unreal are producing surprisingly great renders for real-time output!
yes, those above are 10-20 fps in FullHD resolution renders (Ampere 3090)...so completely smooth solution with colors, lights, materials, objects. No Bake, no fake solution, just pure DXR system in pure real time.
Average performance is like 20.000+ times faster than CPU render minimum and much more like 100K when you talk about Maxwell or other PT render engine.
I do not mention even animation: no stress, no cost, around 1-5 frames/sec in UHD.
I have no limits for amount of renders or changes in design before deadline ;)

All look incredibly realistic, UE4/5 and Unity really help make this stuff look amazing (obviously with skill and artistic talent also), and in real-time too :)
Great work!

All look incredibly realistic, UE4/5 and Unity really help make this stuff look amazing (obviously with skill and artistic talent also), and in real-time too :)
Great work!
Thanks!
for those who think it is easy to do the answer is: Yes and No.
GPU rendering through DXR features is different. It doesn't mean is easy or difficult... it is different. It needs a bit of time to switch from CPU to GPU.
But when you will switch you will get something new: total real-time rendering! That will give you a boost to develop your skill render! You will start to have a lot of time for focusing on quality and much more important: NO LIMITS FOR AMOUNT OF RENDERS!.
Before I did 2-5 renders and no animation (I hate render farms) for the project, now....they go to hundreds and designers have a choice of which one they like or prefer. No mention animation, where the cost is zero.

Still, I use Lightwave and Kray Tracing Engine for some projects but only because as a beta tester I need to keep my skill there and some people in work prefer LW+Kray (because of lack of skill still)
For those who think: Unity or Unreal - is your choice (both offer the same quality) but I prefer Unity because the community is nice and most important GUI Interface of Unity is much, MUCH more friendly than Unreal ( such a mess there....)

Oh absolutely, it takes great skill and patience to do work like yours in a realtime engine!
:) I find the overhead of putting things into Unreal/Unity a slight pain, but we do mainly VR stuff, so currently everything has to be UV unwrapped, everything needs clean-ish geometry and baked in normals and things.

Anyway, your work looks brilliant, and thanks for sharing :D

Oh absolutely, it takes great skill and patience to do work like yours in a realtime engine!
:) I find the overhead of putting things into Unreal/Unity a slight pain, but we do mainly VR stuff, so currently everything has to be UV unwrapped, everything needs clean-ish geometry and baked in normals and things.

Anyway, your work looks brilliant, and thanks for sharing :D
There is no problem with UVs.
You can choose:
1. OBJ format - only one UV map is carried
2. DXF format - you can have a few UV maps - I suggest using it if you do not use Lightwave
3. LWO (you need plugin for Unity) - only one UV map is carried but is the best solution (I use it) because is like using Modeler inside Unity. The pipeline looks like instead Layout you use Unity connected by LWO importer plugin. Even the Catmull Sub patch is supported, all layers, names layers, smoothing, surface names, etc.

You do not need UV maps at all if you want - in that situation you use Planar or Triplanar mapping.
UV mapping does not need to be Atlas, it can be whatever you want. I use always LWCAD UV mapping or Texture Guide or Modeler standard (depends what I want)

Everything above considers DXR system which I use as offline render. If you want to play with the old Bake system - that completely different story :cool:

3. LWO (you need plugin for Unity) - only one UV map is carried but is the best solution (I use it) because is like using Modeler inside Unity. The pipeline looks like instead Layout you use Unity connected by LWO importer plugin. Even the Catmull Sub patch is supported, all layers, names layers, smoothing, surface names, etc.
Unfortunately Virtual Escapes has stopped developing it. Not sure what happened to Chris.

Unfortunately Virtual Escapes has stopped developing it. Not sure what happened to Chris.
He had some big changes in life (good changes from his point of view)
I asked him to update the plugin at least as maintenance.
Will try again in the next few weeks - I do not give up ;)
If he will refuse again will ask you to help me with this.
From point of view of Lightwave users, this is the perfect solution to use Unity. Practically you do not need to change the pipeline so much.
I use right now Unity 2021 LTS - and at this moment I can stick with this forever (like with LW15 and Kray) but I would like to use new features in Unity upcoming now and LWO Importer for Unity is not working with 2022+ .......

From point of view of Lightwave users, this is the perfect solution to use Unity. Practically you do not need to change the pipeline so much.
I use right now Unity 2021 LTS - and at this moment I can stick with this forever (like with LW15 and Kray) but I would like to use new features in Unity upcoming now and LWO Importer for Unity is not working with 2022+ .......

Your post/thread interested me so I downloaded Unity & installed it...but not version 5, version 4.

Isnt that the restriction in LW 2020
I think it says Unity v 4? So to make Unity work with LW you have use an okder version?

Your post/thread interested me so I downloaded Unity & installed it...but not version 5, version 4.

Isnt that the restriction in LW 2020
I think it says Unity v 4? So to make Unity work with LW you have use an okder version?
No, use the latest via Unity Hub.
Might need to install some packages too, depending on what you want to do.
That sucks on Unity 2022 not working. Effectively going to make this LWO plugin suite obsolete.

Last edited:
I hope he does, had picked up a good few lics to help him out, then found out he'd shut up shop :/
I'd like him to have the materials list update on reimport of the lwo. Currently you have to toggle the materials list on/off to get it to refresh. There is also a bug in the normals on certain geometry but I don't have specifics to hand atm.

1666839453124.png

No, use the latest via Unity Hub.
Might need to install some packages too, depending on what you want to do.
That sucks on Unity 2022 not working. Effectively going to make this LWO plugin suite obsolete.

Sorry, I'd gotten the 2 programs mixed up.
It's all so new to me.
Unreal Engine 4 works best with Lightwave 2020

...but Lightwave 2020 works best with and is most compatible with ....Unity 2021?

...Is that a correct assumption?

Is Unity 2021 the version Lightwave users should get if they want maximum compatibility?

Last edited:
This is simple:
1. Download the latest Unity HUB
2. Install Editor from the HUB - I suggest to use always LTS versions. In my case, I use the Latest 2021 LTS (LW Importer compatibility) but you can install 2022 or beta if you want to test some new features.
3. Use any Lightwave version - it doesn't matter. I use LW15 because of Kray.

If you do not want to use LW Importer (Unity plugin) you can use OBJ or DXF format (I suggest DXF)
If you want to use it in a more responsive way but without LW Importer plugin, use a special free plugin to link Unity with Lightwave: https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-importObjectLightwave.html plugin is in the Lightwave folder already there.
You have so many ways ;)

btw
I test now new GI plugin for unity: H-Trace Link AssetStore.
This is SSGI Global Illumination which has amazing GI quality compared to RTX Unity system.

Attachments

• Interior_DXR_046_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_046_.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Interior_DXR_047_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_047_.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Interior_DXR_048_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_048_.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Interior_DXR_049_.jpg
    Interior_DXR_049_.jpg