Flip Fluids Addon for Lightwave

Looks very interesting ! But does the mesh sequence exporter store some kind of info (morph) for motion blur ?
Because in most cases, and specially fluids, rendering without motion blur is a bit useless IMO.
If LW's Alembic and pfx formats have limitations, then object sequence is far from being the best answer to these issues.

That said, again, looks very interesting and great work from Oliver, as usual :thumbsup:

other than that, you could use RSMB  (mostly works ok, and saves render time)

Maybe RSMB mostly works ok for you, but definitely not for me, specially when speaking about fluids and transparency...

Looks like every time it's about motion blur issues, someone comes with the RSMB "magic" solution 8~

i'm merely giving you an alternate way, and explaining that > no, there is currently no solution other than RSMB.

think we all agree that true motion blur for fluids would be nice.

think we all agree that true motion blur for fluids would be nice.

If NewTek would implement features the way they are supposed to be implemented and how others do it, than all these workarounds would not be needed and things like sub frame motion blur, retiming, changing point count, just loading an Alembic file without any conversion could be possible. Alembic in LW2018 is broken.

doesn't Alembic have vertex count limitations? or is that for LightWave only?

all we can do is cross fingers and toes for a solution.

Last edited:
Looks very interesting ! But does the mesh sequence exporter store some kind of info (morph) for motion blur ?
Because in most cases, and specially fluids, rendering without motion blur is a bit useless IMO.
If LW's Alembic and pfx formats have limitations, then object sequence is far from being the best answer to these issues.

That said, again, looks very interesting and great work from Oliver, as usual :thumbsup:

currently you are correct, there's no motionblur, and.. just for the trolls, there isnt really in blender either. BUT... on the plugin side, the dev is working on making morph delta's avaiable, and as soon as thats all stable, I'll do my best to get that into lightwave, so that we can motionblur them as well.. no promises, but its being looked at.

would be Nice, it would make LightWave a bit more...
UTSUGMN.png

sorry, it was meant as a positive note,

translated, that more people would use LightWave in a Hollywood production.

after all, 1000 free render nodes and all that...

Ehhm with all due respect... Would you like to show me an application that does this by default? Motion blurred object sequences?

IIRC, Vray, via ply2mesh import (the std way to bring such "variable mesh sequences" into Vray), offers native motion blur for such sequence imports.

IIRC, Vray, via ply2mesh import (the std way to bring such "variable mesh sequences" into Vray), offers native motion blur for such sequence imports.

as far as i know, that'll only work if the velocity information is included in the original sequence, not on any sequence.

Big problem with Flip Fluids in Blender is that it won't interact with other dynamic objects. You can of course have collision objects for the fluids themselves and fluid can be contained, but the water won't push around dynamic solids nor can you have floating objects/buoyancy. And its not likely to be added any time soon either. So it is a bit limited over what you could do in Houdini or Real Flow. Other than that though, its a fantastic fluid kit. Still not working well in 2.8 yet though.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Overall, i recommend Houdini, where the Houdini<>LW plugins also work in the free fully function trial version Houdini Apprentice

plugin 1 - https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=64
plugin 2 - https://www.patreon.com/posts/vector-motion-od-25479544

The FLIP Fluids simulator is not GPU accelerated. As of addon version 1.0.4, GPU acceleration features using OpenCL have been removed and all GPU methods have been entirely replaced with higher performance CPU methods.

The simulation methods and techniques used in many of our features are not suitable for GPU processing. This is due to the nature of the types of calculations that our simulator runs. Many calculations of these features are not parallelizable enough to benefit from running on a GPU. Some features would benefit from being run on the GPU, however, switching between computations on the CPU and GPU can be slow and harm performance.

At the moment we do not have plans to add GPU acceleration features to the FLIP Fluids addon. We may visit this idea in a future development project separate from the FLIP Fluids addon.

Overall, i recommend Houdini, where the Houdini<>LW plugins also work in the free fully function trial version Houdini Apprentice

plugin 1 - https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=64
plugin 2 - https://www.patreon.com/posts/vector-motion-od-25479544

excellent

Away from my computer now but also check out the program Storm on my YouTube channel.
...or search this forum, erikals and Storm.
It supports GPU.

Last edited:
Back