Flip Fluids Addon for Lightwave

Has anyone tried this and gotten it baked out of Blender? Looks pretty promising. Of course.. I know nothing in Houdini either.. which I know it can be done there as well. But probably more challenging to figure out?

This is a fantastic add-on for Blender... but my understanding is that it enhances the existing Blender Elbeem fluid system, not replaces it.

I guess I'm saying that for us to get an addon like this, we would have to have an actual native fluid simulation system in Lightwave to start with.

there is UP / DeepRising

hopefully those will upgrade with foam / filters soon

Turbulence is also working on something i think

Flip Fluids (blender addon)

This is a fantastic add-on for Blender... but my understanding is that it enhances the existing Blender Elbeem fluid system, not replaces it.

I guess I'm saying that for us to get an addon like this, we would have to have an actual native fluid simulation system in Lightwave to start with.

It replaces the internal Blender fluids system. The primary engine is in C++ with a python interface that the blender components use to communicate with the engine. You can get the source for the initial release from their github and if you buy it you get full source for the updates and all the extensions, etc. The features added since the initial release are definitely worth the price of admission even if you just use it in Blender and export the object sequences to Lightwave.

There are currently still some issues with it and the blender smoke and particle systems, but the developer is wonderfully responsive to bug reports and feature requests on his github.

Scott

crossing fingers NT will look into this.

there are current LightWave solutions, however they lack the much needed foam feature.
so for some Houdini / Blender import is still the way to go.

Oh.. wow! Cool Oliver! I'm assuming the first "run script" part is something you made to get the obj's out of Blender?

Last edited:
Is there an equivalent solution for moving fluids between Houdini Indie and LW using OD tools?

View attachment 143085

here's an update... not sure that i can make it much easier than that..

Regarding houdini... Alembic is your friend there.. just export the particles as alembic and use odtools alembic to pfx. I still might make up something like this script for houdini though, as it has its advantages in certain cases and doesnt inhabit the limitations of the pfx format.

Attachments

• OD_BlenderFlipFluidExportToLW-update.zip
    5 MB · Views: 320
Regarding houdini... Alembic is your friend there.. just export the particles as alembic and use odtools alembic to pfx. I still might make up something like this script for houdini though, as it has its advantages in certain cases and doesnt inhabit the limitations of the pfx format.

Yes, given LW's Alembic vertex count limitations, and pfx format limitations, having a way to import Houdini fluids/bubbles/foam as object sequences would definitely be useful.

Awesome Importer!    
tJGL61i.png

Back