Blender LWO Importers

Good to know. Thanks.
Youré welcome.

A quick tip to make things even smoother, but you may know that already, when upi go to import the file, I would suggest you hover over the Lightwave import menu, right click and choose add to quick favourites, in this image sample it says "remove from quick favourites" but that is because I have already set it as a favourite.
So it´s kind of easier to just hit "q" and pick the import function from there, if Lightwave model transitions are to be made, and you can do the same for OD copy an paste of course.

Find a workflow of when and what is best to OD copy and paste, or import as Lwo objects etc.
import Quick favourite.jpg
a

Youré welcome.

A quick tip to make things even smoother, but you may know that already, when upi go to import the file, I would suggest you hover over the Lightwave import menu, right click and choose add to quick favourites, in this image sample it says "remove from quick favourites" but that is because I have already set it as a favourite.
So it´s kind of easier to just hit "q" and pick the import function from there, if Lightwave model transitions are to be made, and you can do the same for OD copy an paste of course.

Find a workflow of when and what is best to OD copy and paste, or import as Lwo objects etc.
View attachment 153386
a
Thanks prometheus. I'm not remotely close to using keyboard shortcuts yet, other than those on the numeric keypad and "l". :) I'm in LW eight hours a day and Blender 1/2 hr. :)

Thanks prometheus. I'm not remotely close to using keyboard shortcuts yet, other than those on the numeric keypad and "l". :) I'm in LW eight hours a day and Blender 1/2 hr. :)
I am not using much of keyboard shortcuts either in blender, but "q" is to a place for your often used tools, which means you can gather many tools under the same shortcut for slightly faster access, while not as fast as direct shortcut per tool.
and F3 for searching for other tools, add quick fluids, quick smoke, quick fur etc, but those can also be set to work in the favourites menu.

Just installed this importer on blender 3.4.0 Alpha, and it seems to work okey.
Though I recommend installing My file posted in post 18 in this thread, somehow it didn´t recognize the other zipfiles posted here when I tried to install from those, but mine worked, and besides, my file is already fixed with the english version.

I still try and model most stuff or use lightwave modeler 2015, and this importer for blender only imports that format, so either use lw modeler 2015, or from more recent lightwave versions, save out in 2015 lwo format.

Anyway, I find this more stable and better than OD copy for some things, it exports out with weigths intact, not sure which other export format there is that would have this intact, this is useful if you want to use some of the Lightwave weigthmapping tools and also if you like to start with base meshes, then for instance use the differential growth plugin for blender, which will then use that weightmap to make the organic growth.

Spline curves drawn in lightwave comes in as blender curves, ready to add animation on i and geometry thickness, also tested to convert it from the blender standard curves to blenders new hair curve types, and it works, and also converting new hairtyp to particle hair,
and it also seems I do not have to edit the curve and switch direction, which I otherwise have to do with curves converted to polylines.

Again, just remember, it can only import Lwo 2015 format, not 2018 and up lwo formats.

LWO IMPORTER.jpg

And two free plugins used, Gene in lightwave to create tendrils, sprouts, then selecting and extending end edges of those and create a weightmap for that, save out to lwo 2015, and use the differential growth plugin, it automaticly recognizes the weight to use as growth start for that flowery styled form.

And why no try other plugins like dpont´s verdure for branching and make some weights on that, or the Germinator L-system.
And blah..this also belongs in the 1001 ways to use Lightwave and Blender.

Gene and Diffusion growth.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed this importer on blender 3.4.0 Alpha, and it seems to work okey.
Though I recommend installing My file posted in post 18 in this thread, somehow it didn´t recognize the other zipfiles posted here when I tried to install from those, but mine worked, and besides, my file is already fixed with the english version.
Seems that the testing section is removed in 3.5 and that is where the addon resides, so the script needed edited in the __init__.py commenting out testing:

bl_info = {

# "support": "TESTING",

}

Corrected version with English translation working in Blender 3.5 attached.

Attachments

• Load_LWO.zip
    179.4 KB · Views: 130
Seems that the testing section is removed in 3.5 and that is where the addon resides, so the script needed edited in the __init__.py commenting out testing:

bl_info = {

# "support": "TESTING",

}

Corrected version with English translation working in Blender 3.5 attached.

Not sure what you mean here, I did a fix on the original zipfile, in post 18, it worked nicely to install ..with english translation.
Are you saying that zipfile I corrected got something missing?

Not sure what you mean here, I did a fix on the original zipfile, in post 18, it worked nicely to install ..with english translation.
Are you saying that zipfile I corrected got something missing?
A change in latest blender. This fixes it. Its whats causing the issue you described.
Mine was working when copied over from the previous install automatically as part of a new blender install but open 3.4/5 and delete the addons, then try installing again from the zip wont work.

A change in latest blender. This fixes it. Its whats causing the issue you described.
Mine was working when copied over from the previous install automatically as part of a new blender install but open 3.4/5 and delete the addons, then try installing again from the zip wont work.
but I said..I had no issues with my fix of it....that zip file I attached in post 18.
did you yoy install that one?..or did you just conclude based on the first original file?

Back