Blender LWO Importers

While that may seem helpful, there's a reason why chunderburger did not do this: copyright/license.

It really is not a challenge to follow chunderburger's direction, as you've well demonstrated.
Understood, if there is a license issue with this, then I beg you pardon and will remove the files, upon suggestion to do so.
As for not being a challenge, that I can´t agree on, it depends on who´m the person is, I am all for making things easier and faster with helping out, not to complicate things.

It also assumes everyone is on my level of solving issues, some are, some aren´t, and as Tim well demonstrated, this challenge should also have been easy to crack as well, but I am sure he would have had issues with it despite the original instructions, and it´s not to put Tim´s intelligence down, it´s just that some have it easier for certain tasks, and different patience with certain stuff, the instructions was not properly fully described, as I mentioned.

Last edited:
Weight maps are intact as well..
Paint your emission maps for fluid or particles inside Lightwave ..if that is what you prefer, then simulate in blender by assigning your fluid emission to that weight map, or particle emission.
Maybe also sculpt extract mesh from it as well, send back to lightwave if that is what you want.

weight map lw.jpg
weight map lw2 blender weight map.jpg

Here´s a new zip packed file, the original also had an unecessary two folder level of packing.

Within this zipfile I´ve replaced the japanese opts, with the english version, and renamed it, so you don´t have to bother about replacing or re-naming anything.
just unzip this folder, and the folder extract will be Load_LWO

Take that folder and place under something like this, depending on your system and where you installed or placed your blender version...
C:\Program Files\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release\3.3\scripts\addons

Not sure how the py cache folders work, don´t do anything with them initially, unless it´s not working the first time, just place that Load_LWO folder in that addon path folder, then open blender and locate that folder, select it..but don´t target folders below, so just select that one and add it, so this is not installed from the zipfile directly.

Then Go to the Testing tab which filters out wether or not the addon is official, community or testing, otherwise you won´t see it installed, from there you should find it and be able to check it, save preferences, then go to import and test any 2015 lwo format.
Thanks prometheus! Unfortunately I don't have a C:\Program Files\blender bla bla bla. And I cannot find anywhere where it might be installed. It might be because I recently installed this: Blender Launcher to manage my Blender installs, as it was getting completely out of hand. What it does with Blender and where it puts it I have no clue. :)

Thanks prometheus! Unfortunately I don't have a C:\Program Files\blender bla bla bla. And I cannot find anywhere where it might be installed. It might be because I recently installed this: Blender Launcher to manage my Blender installs, as it was getting completely out of hand. What it does with Blender and where it puts it I have no clue. :)
Not following you, you are one windows? Mac?

If it´s on mac, I can not help out.

Otherwise, you got to have the base path..
C:\Program
When I copied the path, I was doing so from a program folder which yields the folder path..named program files, there´s another windows folder called program as well, which will yield a path of program, not program files, so do not look for program files folder, but the program folder, and assuming you have installed any blender version there, you would have to look for it there.
As for the blender launcher, I haven´t used it..so I am not sure to which path it is set.

It´s messy, and I believe it has to do with the program (x86) folder for the 32 bit.
so I have program folder, then another program folder, but somehow that is a shortcut icon folder, same items and date within them, then the program x86 folder.

Correct adress, on my machine isn´t really program files, but..copied from the shortcut folder it is correct..
C:\Program\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release

while copyin the path from the actual program folder yields this...
C:\Program Files\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release\blender-3.3.0-alpha+master.12bde317f4c9-windows.amd64-release

So just check your program folder and see if blender is there somewhere..
And of course, you wouldn´t have any mumbo jumbo "den här datorn" but "this computer" :D

but this all depends on where you actuall installed your software in the first place, maybe you placed it on secondary drives, usb sticks..whatever?
You really have to keep track on that, you could use the windows app install and remove utility of course, but that will not be entirely accurate, since not every software installed there shows up, depends on installer type.

path.jpg

I hope you can find it, I think it can be useful to you having the options to use LWo´s, rather just than OD copy and paste, which is more limited, though faster if you just want to start with basic shapes, or sculpts as they are.

Last edited:
Yeah I was getting a bunch of Blender installs and wanted to uninstall most of them but there was only one install showing up in my control panel uninstall. I inquired on FB as to why and really didn't get anywhere, so I uninstalled the one install that showed up in the control panel and then deleted the other installs that where on my C drive. I then installed the Blender Launcher and used it to DL and "install" the latest release. There is nothing on my C drive (other than the empty folder in which I deleted the installs) related to Blender that I can find. WindowsBlender1.jpg

Attachments

• WindowsBlender2.jpg
    WindowsBlender2.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 161
It also assumes everyone is on my level of solving issues, some are, some aren´t, and as Tim well demonstrated, this challenge should also have been easy to crack as well, but I am sure he would have had issues with it despite the original instructions, and it´s not to put Tim´s intelligence down, it´s just that some have it easier for certain tasks, and different patience with certain stuff, the instructions was not properly fully described, as I mentioned.
Yeah I have been confused about all things Blender - from installing it to using it. :)

Yeah I have been confused about all things Blender - from installing it to using it. :)
But you do have blender installed? and I assume you access it though a keyboard shortcut or something?
then right click on the shortcut and check properties for it, there you should have the target and location adress shown.

I now use this to install (I guess it installs somewhere - maybe not) and run it. https://dotbow.github.io/Blender-Launcher/ video here:
View attachment 153375
Never heard of it, never used it.
But really, a special installer that you can´t go to a tab and check where it installs, no way, go to the blender forums and ask, they should be able to solve it in a few minutes if they are awake and alert over there.

But..the software must be installed somewhere, and you could go through your drives, sort folders by latest date or so, and if you recall or do a new installement you should have those folders sorted first.
or go to start menu, settings and app installations and search for blender.
or as i said...had you a shortcut for it, right click and check properties to find the location, but if you use this to start it...have no clue.
Can´t you right click somewhere ther in the launcher to see the path it is installed at?
check that launcher for all its settings, or just go there on the blender forums and ask.

Last edited:
Checking that vid you posted, right click on the library or downloads items, there you will have "show folder"
Try that and see if that brings you to the download location.

launcher.jpg

And another "simple solutions"
If you have launched blender...
just use ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager, there you can find blender running in a process, right click on that, go to properties and you should find the location of it.

task manager right click on blender.jpg

Last edited:
And another "simple solutions"
If you have launched blender...
just use ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager, there you can find blender running in a process, right click on that, go to properties and you should find the location of it.

View attachment 153377
Gotcha! Thanks. It's in my Downloads folders. I guess with this method it doesn't really "install". I'm cool with that.

you have to rename the opts_eng.py to opt.py and replace the one that is originally installed.
I wrote that in my instructions :p

Just posted as a service to to others; manually converted this from jap to eng.

This LWO importer is for maya as well, will work there too. 2015 lwo's though.

Only programs that I know of which support 2020 lwo is modo and mootools 3dbrowser (which is a great tool, btw)

Last edited:
Lightwave curves can be created as splines in lightwave, and with the create curve option active in the importer, then you will have lw curves turned in to none destructive blender shape curves, to add shape forms to, and edit pretty much as you please or animate them with the envelope controls in the geometry/start and end mapping menus.
good stuff. These Japanese devs always make brilliant plugins.
Awkward that those designing blenders UI is assuming everyone knows the little dot, is representing a Time envelope, it would be better to actually have a time clock icon there, or perhaps "E" for envelope, as it is in Lightwave.
yeah, I figure there is some place to edit the UI's image icons but not looked into where, yet.

I wrote that in my instructions :p
No...you didn't, you wrote replace the file..not that you need to rename it..which is not the same and makes the whole difference.
I suppose you assumed we should ..open the opts.py file ..wich you did't mention and then delete the code..and open the opts_eng.py file..copy and paste in to the opts.py file..then save?

and that's the other way to "replace" the file.
This was however a fussy description that isnt clear..and an unneccesary complicated process with room for more errors than just renaming the file.

But it's great that you helped out;)

Last edited:
No...you didn't, you wrote replace the file...
The initial (and repeated) instruction was to replace the content of the file, not the file.

It may have been chunderburger's wise intent to force people to look inside the file instead of blindly copying it over. This is all code that could be used maliciously when we are not certain of the source. The greatest asset of Blender is that it is open. Feel free to peek inside when the opportunity presents itself.

(I even look at .LS files from unknown sources to make sure there's nothing sketchy going on...and to learn from them)

The initial (and repeated) instruction was to replace the content of the file, not the file.

It may have been chunderburger's wise intent to force people to look inside the file instead of blindly copying it over. This is all code that could be used maliciously when we are not certain of the source. The greatest asset of Blender is that it is open. Feel free to peek inside when the opportunity presents itself.

(I even look at .LS files from unknown sources to make sure there's nothing sketchy going on...and to learn from them)

Yes I could see that..but he quoted me..where I said the file should be renamed..as of..thats what he said...which of course he didnt say literally..and That is what I answered upon.

wether or not the actual description was ellaborate enough as of not leaving out that you need to open both files and cut..or delete..and copy paste etc.. to avoid confusion.or the best way to replace it..un order to make a safe replacement of it..then thats a different matter.

if someone zips the addon..knowingly that it works.one should really be able to trust it, if not. ..you would have to open every other code..analyze it..make sure you are safe..uhh...why would I even bother to open it and check the code inside or change it..its just unecessary process than renaming it.

I do virus scan my zip..and unzipoed files ..always..of course not 100% but that is how far I would go.
its probably unlikely you would be able to recognize malicious code in there..unless being a coder yourself.
and the other files in there if you do not trust them..are you just gonna let them be alone or open them All and check them?
so no..having that as an excuse for not simply renaming the file makes no sense to me.

I would say it's a higher risc something may go wrong when you are transfer data between two documents..than just renaming the files.

I do believe chunderburger..as a coder simply is acustomed to replacing content that way..which is natural..I have done so myself when changing lscripts..but if the foremost intention was to let us analyse and make sure the file is safe file before we run it?..he will have to answer that himself.

my philosophy. when making instructions for the computerbased interactions and humans..dont write them under the assumption that people should think twice and add in what may be missing in a none full step description..treat it as .."even an idiot should ba able to follow this" ;)
(Cough. cough, but relax ..have fun at that..I can offer that amusement)

lesser missing parts is better..unless the challenge is to challenge anyones mind.

in bed now ..half sleeping..any misspelling or typo errors..reasoning errors..is due to that;) and the mobile phone.

in the end..two ways..
you can make a full description on how to replace the content of the file..and exactly how to..and you can also suggest to just copy files and paste and rename..with ellaboration on to why doing one or the other.

you are making it idiot proof by doing so.

Just as I am trying to make my posts idiot proof in the sense that people don't have the patience to read my descriptions that are so long and ellaborated..so they can't reply with proper corrections😁😁.

Last edited:
good stuff. These Japanese devs always make brilliant plugins.

yeah, I figure there is some place to edit the UI's image icons but not looked into where, yet.
If you do find it...please consider placing it to the left side before the values..and not to the the right just near the value sliders..

I can't tell you how many times I accidently pressed the envelope sliders when I just wanted a change in the value sliders.
Now that is more likely to happen in lightwave though.

That ui element should be moved...to rest at a better place.

One thing to take a note of..
if you think OD copy and paste is useful, in a case below like I am about to describe, OD copy and paste won´t work.

It´s when you draw polyedges with the line pen tool (not to confuse with the pen tool) in Lightwave and snape vertexes to vetex when drawing straight lines with the middle mouse button.

This will result in polyedges without any polyface, now if you were to OD copy and paste, sure you will get the lines in there, but the vertex connection will not be intact, so if you were to try and bevel the vertices to round it, it won´t work.

With this Lwo importer it will work, though I think it would work with obj as well.

See images, so one sample is imported and beveled on directly in edit mode as polyedges, the other image is just the polyedges converted to curves, and you can choose polytype, bezier or nurbs and various handles will be accessable to tweak the curve, and of course, bevel it to create a shape.

Line pen no faces.jpg

polyedge-bevel-vertices.jpg

polyedge-2 curve.jpg

And if you somehow prefer to draw a floorplan or just lines, shapes in lightwave with the line pen tool, and then edit the roundings in blender on the poly edge with bevel vertices, you can of course after that convert to curve, and use the geometry tab to extrude bevel walls etc, so the workflow is perhaps best there to round the lines in polyedge mode with bevel vertices ..instead of trying to do it in the later curve mode.

Don´t question why you would like to be doing it in the first place with lightwave though, that is not even up for a debate, other than maybe you wan´t to copy edge parts from a model in lightwave, and adjust to make a shape in blender, od copy mesh back to the original model in Lightwave, or use Lightwave modifers, twist tools and more, or whatever kink you have that turns you on in Lightwave...😁

polyedge rounded 2 curve to extrude and bevel .jpg

Last edited:
Back