Advance placement possible update

What's the plan if LW2020 defects or such mean Hurley is unable to make it work reliably?

That anyone's even considering paying NT/V $600 for a LW2020 upgrade at this point feels all sorts of wrong, esp. given LW2020's state, and that of (absent) LW support.

obviously he is not going to pay back $50.

unless he/we can get money back from NewTek after having bought LW2020.

there are tons of "what if" statements you could add.

so if you're afraid of the faint chance of losing $50 - don't.

imo.

I might be able to do $50 if there is a guarantee that the investment would not be lost. I'm semi-retired, and funds are tight. But, by the same token, I'd like to see all of his SW get updated to work with LW 2020. I use 2015.3 for most of my work, and have 2018, 2019, and 2020, but mainly play around with those versions. Let me know who to send funds to, and I'll see. I'm assuming that $50 would also go toward update cost for me then?

No matter what he does with the money, whether he buys LW 2020 or whatever, I would of course pay something for a working update.

ciao
Thomas

How about some info, intent, plan, etc. directly from Steve Hurley himself ...? At this point it's just advanced mumbbling & "What-iffing" it seems.

Just to re-confirm: I clearly would be in for the ominous amount of $50 to see the Plugin updated to work with 2020.0.x - Would be cool, though, to have a word from him upfront, I guess :cool:

Honestly, I won't invest anything in LW. Not a dime. Everything that worked still does. What doesn't... I believe there was no plan to make it work. Whatever that might be. Caveat: barring any developer that was always updating their goods like 3dPowers and db&w.
Hurley, no. Nothing. He left it in a messy, unusable state and I see no reason to reward him for that.

Well, Robert, of course you can see it like that. But for me it is also some way of securing an "investment" that I put in Hurley (I believe I own a license of almost all plugins he created, some of them for two LW Licenses) and its not really unusual that a host update breaks some 3rd Party product and development needs a little financial boost to go on - db&w for instance did pretty much the same to get their plugins work with recent versions of LW because seemingly it was not a so simple task to geal with certain archtitecture changes.
And as Lightwave still is my workhorse for pretty much most/all things 3D and I for one am interested in utilizing it as long as I can - because I still have yet not found an app that just feels that comfortable as good ole trusty LW (I know I very likely WILL HAVE TO focus on some other app soon enough, but for now: I still really enjoy using LW)
But I do not think we should derail this thread: Lets stick with the discussion solely about a possible update for Advanced Placement here, okay?
It seems there are enough people interested to come up with the amount that would be needed to approach him, do I see this correctly?

Okay, quick update. So far we have 11 people including myself, willing to contribute $50 which would get us to $550, $50 short of the $600 for the upgrade cost. I'm going to email Steve Hurley back and see if he'd still be up for it. Of course, if more people want to contribute, that would bring the cost down for all of us.
These are the contributors so far.
NT Forum:
Dodgy (Mike Green)
Ma3rk
fishhead
JohnMarchant
JamesCurtis
Thomas Leitner
erikals

Facebook:
tonyrizo2003
Stephen Dixon
Johnny Hamilton
Gareth Sayers

If you don't see your name here and would like to contribute, let me know!

I'm still at a loss to understand why he doesn't use the LW2020 trial at no cost ...but charges his existing customers $50 for an update to the AP plugin. It would be more profitable, with much less risk to everyone, including him.

I'm not currently a AP user but would buy the plugin when it is LW2020 compatible. I can't see myself joining in for the $50 LW2020 contribution plus the cost of a new license of the plugin.

Last edited:
I'm still at a loss to understand why he doesn't use the LW2020 trial at no cost ...but charges his existing customers $50 for an update to the AP plugin. It would be more profitable, with much less risk to everyone, including him.

I'm not currently a AP user but would buy the plugin when it is LW2020 compatible. I can't see myself joining in for the $50 LW2020 contribution plus the cost of a new license of the plugin.
I coulde be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the trial is limited and using 3rd party plugins is one of those limitations.

Thanks,
Jason

I coulde be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the trial is limited and using 3rd party plugins is one of those limitations...
The trial is fully functional, for 30 days. Plugins work. You may perceive a problem because commercial plugins that are locked to your previous LW license may not work (the trial may have a different Product Lock ID). However, for a 3rd party developer, this is a trivial concern. The developer can bypass or update this licensing mechanism to work with the new Product Lock ID for 30 days.

Most plugins would also work indefinitely in discovery mode.

Last edited:
This is not something I will jump in to, partly becauase the absence from Hurley, partly the policy from Vizrt and current situation, both need to form a voice if it´s ever
would be attractive to me, the product itself is however exciting, but that´s not enough.

But if no one can speak to anyone to give information to everyone, this One isn´t interested.

The trial is fully functional, for 30 days. Plugins work. You may perceive a problem because commercial plugins that are locked to your previous LW license may not work (the trial may have a different Product Lock ID). However, for a 3rd party developer, this is a trivial concern. The developer can bypass or update this licensing mechanism to work with the new Product Lock ID for 30 days.

Most plugins would also work indefinitely in discovery mode.
Yeah I meant the trial after the 30 days which I suspect is the problem. His trial probably expired long ago.

Okay, an update from the man himself.
He did in fact mean buying the ungrade as a joke, but this gesture has definitely been appreciated. He's downloaded the trial and is looking at the SDK. He says he'll accept the offer once he knows he has it working, which he hopes will be within a month (his toolkit and build system have changed a lot so it will take some effort). The other good news is we have the numbers to get the cost per person to around $40 so I think that's a nice gesture on our part for him to get the work in to make it go again.

Great news Mike and means at least we will know if its possible to get it to work in 2020. Also means we have a month to come up with the funds.

Okay, an update from the man himself.
He did in fact mean buying the ungrade as a joke, but this gesture has definitely been appreciated. He's downloaded the trial and is looking at the SDK. He says he'll accept the offer once he knows he has it working, which he hopes will be within a month (his toolkit and build system have changed a lot so it will take some effort). The other good news is we have the numbers to get the cost per person to around $40 so I think that's a nice gesture on our part for him to get the work in to make it go again.

great news ... thank you

Another update, this time not so good. His mac died some time ago, so he has no plans for a mac version. Let me know if this affects you.

Back