Advance placement possible update

Dodgy

Worms no more! Free fun!
Hi all,

I recently emailed Steve Hurley about an update to Advance placement, since it crashes in 2020. This is the reply I got:

"Sorry, I don't have LW 2020 here. I'll be happy to fix the crash if you want to send me the ridiculous $600 that they want to upgrade from LW2018. :)"

If this is the case, would some others like to split the cost with me to bring it to something like $50 each? That would only require 12 of us.

Mike

Wouldn't even a LW trial work for a developer? I'm reading more into that comment than just a need for funds to upgrade to 2020. The frustration from 3rd party devs over LightWave's management is clear.

Wouldn't even a LW trial work for a developer? I'm reading more into that comment than just a need for funds to upgrade to 2020. The frustration from 3rd party devs over LightWave's management is clear.
I think of it more a goodwill gesture on our part as an appreciation of the work.

Mmmm, frankly he needs to prove it even works in 2019 first. Things in 2018 got maimed in 2019, then really broken in 2020. Just ask Rebel Hill. Oh that's right, no one can find him to even ask.

Mmmm, frankly he needs to prove it even works in 2019 first. Things in 2018 got maimed in 2019, then really broken in 2020. Just ask Rebel Hill. Oh that's right, no one can find him to even ask.
He's on 2018... I tried it on 2019, and it wasn't working, the payment would be to get a new version working on 2020.

As i said, if ya want me to chip in (which I would), it HAS to work in 2019 as well. I won't touch 2020

As i said, if ya want me to chip in (which I would), it HAS to work in 2019 as well. I won't touch 2020
Ahhh, I see! I was confused as to what you were saying. Sure. I assume if you upgrade to 2020, you can access 2019 as well? If so then I'm sure we can get that sorted.

Hmm, I am not too sure about that:
... . I assume if you upgrade to 2020, you can access 2019 as well? If so then I'm sure we can get that sorted.
But, if we could get a reasonable number of contributors and he would be willing to bugfix/update his plugins - count me in... Even if it would be only for 2020.0.x
Edit: Well getting him a trial/discovery of 2019 for testing (If he has not already downloaded it back then anyway...) shouldn´t be a problem, right?

I'm guessing because it broke in 2019, then fixing it for 2020 will sort that out too, but that's just a guess at the moment.

If this is the case, would some others like to split the cost with me to bring it to something like $50 each? That would only require 12 of us.

Generous activity.

I can suggest an alternative, much quicker way to solve the problem: format a fresh SSD, install Visual Studio, install LW2020, and let him control it remotely over the Internet.

If Advanced Placement uses custom Node Editor, it might be as simple as recompilation of the project.
Plugins using Node Editor, which has over and over extended LWNodalAccess/LWShadingGeometry structures, must be recompiled every time there is update to the structures and its bigger and bigger every release of LW.

Tell him to download LWSDK for LW2020 (or send him the one that you have @ LW2020 folder) and recompile project with it and send you executable back.
Maybe it will solve issues straight away.

Last edited:
I've been interested in his plug-ins but was afraid he fled from recent LW releases. If AP becomes compatible with 2020, I'd buy the plugin.

these clicked the like button on Facebook tho', they might join, PM them to check >

Graphiste Oxyzone
Anthony Rizo
Geri Asuncion
Stephen Dixon
Peter Profetto
Gonzales John
David Ricardo Rodriguez
Gareth Sayers
John R. Tenopir
Jamie Yeh
Alex Kotelnikov
Johnny Hamilton
Stephen Dixon
Kelly J Jones
Jason Boudreau

Jim Oblak - https://forums.newtek.com/members/raymondtrace.9226/#about
Erik - https://forums.newtek.com/members/erikals.8814/#about
Mark - https://forums.newtek.com/members/ma3rk.3153/#about

i also asked these here at the NT forum >

HenrikSkoglund
jwiede
Mastoy
mummyman
Robert@ISD
JamesCurtis
alexs3d
Igu4n4
Lewis
ristoraven
sudac20

Last edited:

Mike, my suggestion is then that we donate to your Mike.Green PayPal account and then you take it from there ?
or other suggestions ?

So, does that mean Hurley got back to you with a confirmation - besides the cited notion in the original posting - that he is actually willing to do so then?

yes, it says right there...
bcwLfNX.gif

"Sorry, I don't have LW 2020 here. I'll be happy to fix the crash if you want to send me the ridiculous $600 that they want to upgrade from LW2018. :)"

Well, I meant after that quote... It just would be great to hear a confirmation from his side before transfering money 😎

i recently emailed

so wouldn't worry about that just now, but we need an estimate, i'll leave that to Mike for the moment.

maybe a NT poll and a FB poll with names is the way to go.
probably.

Back