Windows 10 and SpeedEdit 2.6

deejay

Stupid me I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 and now SpeedEdit plays clips back at about 28 or 29 frames a second. I've tried compatibility mode telling it to use Windows 7 and it works about half the time but I can't get it to stick. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

Here's some follow up info.... apparently Windows 10 is having problems remembering what compatibility mode you put SpeedEdit into. Hopefully this will get ironed out later by Microsoft but as of now I went back to Windows 7 with SpeedEdit in compatible mode for Windows XP sp3 and it's working properly again. As a side note if anyone does this it requires a new registration code for SE when you go to Win10 and again when you go back. Something else I thought of is that when you ask Win10 to check your machine for compatibility for your machine and software before you upgrade it doesn't show SE as incompatible.

SpeedEDIT works great for me in win 10...

I haven't experienced this issue, are you talking about in the playback monitor or actual rendered clips, is it just skipping frames or playing slower with audio pitch changes, I've got SE on 1win 10 just fine, I did have to install the latest Direct X after installation... -Shawn

LightWaveSpeedEDIT&Cigs.jpg

I just built a new Editing machine (i7 3.6 Gz, 32 GB Ram, 6 SSD Drives, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Ram, WIndows 10 64Bit and decided not to install SE 2.0. This would be the first time I would be without it since 2006 or so. I just downloaded Vegas Pro 15 and tried to do the simplest thing. It took me hours for a 20 second clip, and that was just moving an overlaid picture around the screen the way I wanted it to. I know this would have taken me 5 minutes in SE. Should I install it? I dont think I will have an issue with the way it behaves since I have used it on Win 10 before. I am more worried about the rendering formats. Will SE render in any format that is on the machine, including any new codecs like Go Pro? If so, I may go ahead and install it. I cannot imagine doing the complicated stuff i did in SE that went so quickly for me because of the way it is laid out. I cannot function using Vegas. I would be miserable using it and would probably dumb down my projects because I would not want to go through the aggravation.

I am so desperate, I was looking into being a tricaster (which is major overkill for me) just to get the integrated editor (which looks like SE). Is anyone using SE without limitations these days?

...Will SE render in any format that is on the machine, including any new codecs like Go Pro? If so, I may go ahead and install it. I cannot imagine doing the complicated stuff i did in SE that went so quickly for me because of the way it is laid out. I cannot function using Vegas. I would be miserable using it and would probably dumb down my projects because I would not want to go through the aggravation.

I am so desperate, I was looking into being a tricaster (which is major overkill for me) just to get the integrated editor (which looks like SE). Is anyone using SE without limitations these days?

I haven't used SpeedEDIT for (at least) two years because I had issues getting it to work on Windows 8 and so made the switch to LightWorks and found that I had been royally spoilt with SE when it came to being productive.

However, with the announcement that NT are not supporting it any longer I had to take the longer term view and make the jump to another editor for the sake to the business, and even though there were growing pains, I'm glad I made the switch before NT made their announcement to discontinue SE.

I have found LightWorks to be a very light, speedy and flexible system. It's not as intuitive in many respects as SpeedEDIT but you can't have everything. On saying that it does do things natively that SpeedEDIT could and will never do. I.e, compositing, multicamming, proper 4k support, strong codec support and project collaboration tools.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as time goes on, the new technologies we will use will need new tools to handle them and SpeedEDIT isn't going to cut it, so maybe it's time for you to put the old gal to sleep and make the leap into the new world.

With the rig you've got now it would be a crime to install a 32bit editor on it for serious work. I love SE but there no place for it in the future.

Thanks. I did leave it behind until Vegas killed every last creative bone in my body. I guess I just got to look around. I need something tha has the ease of doing motion as easy as SE.

Vegas 14 is so unstable and Vegas 15 has still so little to offer for things like color correction (I fear its stability). I also didn't like their defensive style of support and agressive marketing (targetting every e-mail address they know of me, almost every day). I decided to move on.

Interesting new software is from BlackMagicDesign: DaVinci Resolve 15 (color, sound, nle, export) and Fusion 9 Studio (vfx).
Both have free versions available and seem very stable.
The nle has been growing in large steps.

Thanks for the suggestions. i only need SE now to convert the many RTV files from my old Toaster days. Then I will uninstall.

Interesting new software is from BlackMagicDesign: DaVinci Resolve 15 (color, sound, nle, export) and Fusion 9 Studio (vfx).
Both have free versions available and seem very stable.
The nle has been growing in large steps.

I second that. Great call Vncnt.

So is there anyway to get SE2 to work on a new system these days? While SE2 in not a primary edit software for me, it still does a few things that my Adobe system doesn't. I just want to install it on my new computer. If NT has discontinued the software, there should be a work around for all us old timers to continue using it.

Back