USB 3.x ethernet adapters and NDI

Greg_E

Throwing this out to see if anyone has experience with using USB 3.x ethernet adapters and NDI. I'm thinking I might need this to get a second network out of some gaming computers to send NDI from Screen Capture. Just an idea which I'm hoping I won't need. Trying to figure out how to produce some esports out of our team's gaming room and they are joined to a different domain. I'm going to have my network over near there on either a 10gbps or 25gbps fiber link and 24 gigabit ports to connect to computers and ptz cameras and some kind of extra audio device (to be determined).

My alternate plan is to set up Bridge on both ends to cross the two networks, but I'd prefer a more direct way to keep latency down.

All of the above is planned/desired to be NDI HB (or full bandwidth if you prefer) and probably only at 1080/60p.

If you have a USB adapter that you know works, brand and model number would be appreciated.

An on-board or PCI-e Ethernet adapters are the first choice to use for NDI, especially as you are going push the interface with many NDI channels. After that, a USB3 to Gigabit will work, and I'd always recommend the USB route over WiFi.

Any USB3-Ethernet adapter that is supported by Windows will work. I've use a few by different companies, my current laptop is using a Realtek interface.

Thanks Kane, I'll give it some trial and see. I'm hoping for a second onboard NIC but decided I should have some kind of backup plan.

And now that you said this, I think you might have mentioned it in one of the certification courses, I have 6 certificates on my wall (four of them with exams). I hope most of these come back with Viz branding, there's some good stuff that I want my faculty to know about.

Back