unwanted speckles in shadows and surfaces..

dlanimation

hi all..
how do i get flat shaded shadows with no speckles?
thanks
dl

Attachments

• speckles.jpg
    speckles.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 163
Uh, there are SO many reasons and not enough info on your part. I do like that model though.

LW version would be a help. Lighting & surfacing would be the starting places to look.

lw 2019.1.5..these are my settings..not sure what you need to see..
dl

Attachments

• lw.jpg
    lw.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 145
  • lw2.jpg
    lw2.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 157
That's a start. 2019 is what I use so that helps.

For Lighting turn OFF the Affect Volumetrics, and I don't use Normalize but some do. Won't really matter with a single source.

Under the Surface Editor in the Shading Model Tab check ON the Glossy Reflections but set the other options to Raytrace Only .

Get use to visiting this panel often as they broke that & it sets those options wrong & new surfacing often sets them back to wrong.

There are other ways of going about it perhaps, but try those first.

thanks i will check. tomorrow..i'm burnt for tonight..im glad there is way or ways to get flat shadows etc..
really appreciate the. help.
dl

Start by going through this process:

Noise removal process

It seems to me that the sampling is too low and to find out which sample setting is causing the problem, the link above will help you identify the culprit.

no luck with sampling..that i can find..
attatched files..
thanks
dl

Attachments

• spiral.zip
    73.1 KB · Views: 158
You can check the light too.

Try using a single light source which is a point light. The reason for this is because it's the only light source in LW 2018+ that's not sampled. This should give a hard edged flat shadow.

So, I've had a quick look at the scene file you uploaded and can see that the Diffuse Indirect buffer is the cause of the problem.

To fix it you need to open up the camera properties and because you've deactivated adaptive sampling, you should increase the minimum samples to 16 or more and that should clean it up.

It might not hurt to also increase your GI rays to somewhere between 2 and 10 rays to get the final clean shadows and for render speed purposes it might not be a bad idea to increase your render tiles (Render Properties>Render>Render Tile Size from 8 to 32 or 64 .

Last edited:
I looked at your posted scene. There are a number of things that will fight against you. One is that your geometry has flipped polys. The camera and rendering samples as mentioned is a lot of it.

im not much of a tech guy..but i remember stuff once i /you :) figure out..
i flipped polys back..i dont understand why..
i'm happy with shadows now..
and can move on to next thing in this test ..i used the logspiral plug-in..to make them.

Back