TMPGEnc Plus 2.5

Ed Wallick

In have two VT[4] machines - both have TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 version2.521.58.169 with Core version 1.98.152. One of them produces an MPEG 2 file that works fine in DVD WS 2 SE while in the other which has the exact same settings will not work at all. When I try to start encoding the following message appears:

Linear PCM stream can not be outputted as System Stream. Select either "ES (Audio Only)" or "ES (Video+Audio)" at Stream Type on main window to output.

So, I render this way and the output file is (filename),[m2v+wav] I go to DVD WS2 SE and when I try to load that project it says it can't recognize the file type.

"Unable to open file [I:filename.m2v] File format mismatch

I've had this problem for some time so I've always encoded on the one good machine and brought the MPEG 2 file through the network to use in the second machine in DVD WS2 SE.

I would like to "FIX" this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

I assume you have tried both TMPG's with the same source file and gotten this problem.
Double check the audio setting in Both Tmpgenc's and make sure they are the same. In fact check every setting you can on both (including the project settings)
Another thing to try --- Does workshop accept the video file but not the audio? (It appears your message indicates no, but that makes no sense if the issue is audio). If WS will take just the video, render out the audio seperatly in VT to a wav and put that into WS. In fact try it anyway (give Tmpgenc a video source only and render to an Ele stream and try it).
hope this helps!

Be careful if you import video and audio as separate files into WS, remember that if you trim the video start location, you need to do the same for the audio or it will be out of sync.

wvp said:
If WS will take just the video, render out the audio seperatly in VT to a wav and put that into WS.

Thats what I do 99% of the time it works just fine.

If you have to many edits on your project that will happen if you render the project (VTP) to another folder TMPG will work without a problem.

Ed, did you get your problem fixed? The problem I am having is that my DVD program (DVDIT PRo) wants to re-encode the thing which is totally not what I need done. I have not had much success with this program that everyone says is so wonderful. I finally figured out that the third party driver loader was in VT4.6, not TMPGENC as I logically thought it would be since that is the program that needs the plug in to load a vtp file. Got that solved, loaded the vtp file without a hitch, encoded it and it had both video and audio,,,BUT,,,, it took all of my page peels out of the still section and left black spaces.... I don't know.... I am going to set up a 15 minute project and try to work the bugs out. Most of my projects are weddings and the like that run close to 2 hours and it is just too much time wasted trying to get this stuff to work.

I guess what I am trying to say in my frustration is do you know of a good tutorial on 2.5 anywhere?

Thanks for your time.
Mike

Piper4873 said:
BUT,,,, it took all of my page peels out of the still section and left black spaces.
Check the manual section discussing the Prefs item for DVE subsitutions, might be related...

Since there is already a TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 topic I'll add my question.

Will TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 Work with Speed edit projects? What about the Speed edit from VT 5.x?
Will later versions of TMPGEnc work with speed edit?

Thanks.
Chrys

TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 works perfectly with SpeedEDIT projects. I haven't found any that would trip it up. This is much better compared to using the VTP loader in VT[4] or earlier. My only caution is remember to give TMPGEnc what it wants, which is 720X480 for NTSC, so you need to have that as your SpeedEDIT project format.

As for SE-VT, it should, but I don't actually have that installed, so I can't personally confirm that.

As for later versions, I don't know. Actually, I would guess they won't with the VTP loader. But they may with the AVI Wrapper, but hopefully someone else could answer that, cause actually TMPGEnc Express 4 would be a good way to render out HD projects to formats that SpeedEDIT doesn't support.

Last edited:
I use TMPGEnc 2.5 with SE-VT5 projects and it works fine. I use an AVI Wrapper with a separate audio file and with the project set for 720x480. Don't waste your time doing it inside VT5 - it takes too long. Stick with TMPGEnc.

TEMPGEnc 2.5 doesn't like certain DVEs. Best to render video sections with DVEs, then use renderd file in your project or TMPGEnc and/or keep note of offending DVEs

As of SpeedEDIT 1.5.5 and VT[5], I believe those DVE issues have been fixed.

It was a Newtek plug-in issue, not a TMPGEnc issue.

I finally figured out that the third party driver loader was in VT4.6, not TMPGENC as I logically thought it would be since that is the program that needs the plug in to load a vtp file. Got that solved, loaded the vtp file without a hitch, encoded it and it had both video and audio,,,BUT,,,, it took all of my page peels out of the still section and left black spaces....

TEMPGEnc 2.5(or VT4.6 plug-in as Eugene states) doesn't like certain DVEs. Best to render video sections with DVEs, then use renderd file in your project or TMPGEnc and/or keep note of offending DVEs.

Back