Time Machine Mish Mash

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
It's been a bit slowish of late so thought I'd post some things I've been playing with.

Somewhat of a two part WIP, but you'll understand why.

Part One

An old Poser model of the 2002 "The Time Machine" was on sale recently so I picked it up. Turns out its pedigree that it was modeled in Modo 6.01 & somewhere in there went between Vue & Poser, and I finally picked it for Daz.

Saw original 1960's "The Time Machine" as kid, so it will always have special meaning. Jump ahead to the 2002 version, and it had some really nice ideas as well. Nice looking machine, great music, etc.

Coincidentally, one of my work calls was to the closed Camarillo State hospital to do pick up shots for that version, so it has special meaning too (the movie, not so much the hospital).

I knew there'd be issues with the model, but slowly picked away at them; several re-UVing tasks, boogered booleans, flipped poly's, that sort of thing but got it pretty well whanged into shape. Not 100% sure on the scaling. Should have put my know reference in earlier but didn't. So when I did add Stan to pose & check things, the machine was off ~30+% or so. But after some re-scaling sessions in Modeler, using the chair for proportions, I think I've got it. Had to replace the original chair too. It looked fine on it's own but proportions were off for a figure to sit & look comfortable. Even the replacement chair (still might change) was problematic for it to fit, but got it.

Acme Time Machine & Nu Chair + Stan.jpg

And like so many of my other SteamPunk related items, I've no idea where I'd use it, but they're fun to build.

TBBTWishList.jpg

Part Two

So, for either version, your gonna need Eloi & Morloc's at some point right?

Well, frankly, Eloi are really nice to look at, but a dime a dozen at least in that time's economy.

And the Über-Morloc of Jeremy Irons was interesting; menacing & evil, but come on? A pretty-boy Morloc? Nah.

The Wm. Tuttle mutant was what made you jump wasn't it? Did on a 50Ft. screen an.

But a good Morloc is hard to find these days. But over the past couple of years, I had a few "ah HA" moments, & those led to some tests, & those bore out to be able to create & export a unique character. Part of that was finally being able to convert dForce hair/fur and subsequently import into Lightwave. I'm so close to getting that working with FiberFX in Lightwave but missing some piece of knowledge. Still need a few more "ah HA" moments.

Anyway, I'm still able to use them along with LWCad to create geometry. Not as efficient of course, but it gets me going after being stalled for a couple years by this.

But the subtle part of the Mish Mash is that this is a unique unique character out of Daz. Still don't know why of course, but figures don't require the baking of transforms I've always have to do. Perhaps due to older based characters or animals.

In short, or is is finally, I was able to just dial in the character shape for the body, face, etc., and use the Yeti characters dForce hair. Not broken out as the Orangutan character so a bit more work. Started with the left arm but it mirrored just fine. Did the entire arm but deleted some & left the top areas. Wanted to see how far I could push the amount of geom, but it's nowhere as bad as I thought it might be. Just begging for Cage Deformer.

Still have to do the legs of course but wanted to see how this went first.

And of course would really like to get this working with Fiber FX at some point.

Morloc & Nu Arm & Shoulder HairFur.jpg

Last edited:
Time machine ..nice movie, what you got now is looking good there.
Perhaps a bit more work on the PBR metal, looks a bit too much copper, than the original brass almost gold look, there´s a need for environment as well, which will further help
on reflections and the metallic look.

Was Jeremy Irons really a True Morloc in that movie, I thought he was some inbetween species there?

Your morloc is almost looking cute,
This one not so...
maxresdefault.jpg

Watching time as it passes by in rapid motion, new civilization building itself, landscape eroding etc, o my..imagine that, how many years did he finally travel in to the future?
Funny how insanely obsessed the character was to travel in to the future to find out how he could go back in time again to save his loved one, but finally accepted to live in that changed future and accept things may not be possible to change back to what it was.

I've tweeked more surfaces since & probably will do a few more & basically "enrichened" it up some. Still looking for a better, what I found out to be, the Chesterfield style chair. And got side-tracked by a couple things; great weather and a Weber BBQ for one.

Anyway, I think my Morloc looks smug & "uppity" at this point with this pose, but I used that see progress on the arm hair. This hair is using Profiled geometry using LWCad, but all this led back to Fiber FX in a rather circuitous fashion. I'll get back to that in the other thread soon as I've some new findings/ questions.

Hopefully Thomas hasn't filtered me.

The one you show here, the worker Morloc was,... I don't know. Didn't work for me in someway. The was the early 2000's, so maybe stretching the tech a bit for the time. Don't remember much screen time; just short bursts.

The Über-Morloc I guess is a 3rd species, class, or strata of some sort?.

Really need to both re-read and re-see that version (have it on my Amazon list). In the book, he went way into the past as well, and then back to the future. Hmmm. Catchy title for something someday. ;)

But in both cases at the end, you're left with him going from whenever he is, towards the future.

And he could have stopped & gone back to get the locket, so come on. You forget HG? Your sitting in a $&^(%ing TIME MACHINE!

But boy, if that isn't the original sequel foot-in-the-door set up if ever there was one.

The Über-Morloc's are still around & one finds H.G.'s long ago, hidden & forgotten machine in "<untitled>".

Or, the great grandkinder of HG and Weena stumble onto gramps old time machine stashed away in the attic, and adventure ensues in "Honey, I ....".

The writers are already on strike in Hollywierd, and the actors and directors are lined up to assure it stretches out, so we might as well have fun with things, ya know?

In many ways, your lucky to have only a few stations to deal with.

Oh, btw & perhaps you've heard, but there's another "Planet of the Apes" feature going, or already into post.

I've tweeked more surfaces since & probably will do a few more & basically "enrichened" it up some. Still looking for a better, what I found out to be, the Chesterfield style chair. And got side-tracked by a couple things; great weather and a Weber BBQ for one.

Anyway, I think my Morloc looks smug & "uppity" at this point with this pose, but I used that see progress on the arm hair. This hair is using Profiled geometry using LWCad, but all this led back to Fiber FX in a rather circuitous fashion. I'll get back to that in the other thread soon as I've some new findings/ questions.

Hopefully Thomas hasn't filtered me.

The one you show here, the worker Morloc was,... I don't know. Didn't work for me in someway. The was the early 2000's, so maybe stretching the tech a bit for the time. Don't remember much screen time; just short bursts.

The Über-Morloc I guess is a 3rd species, class, or strata of some sort?.

Really need to both re-read and re-see that version (have it on my Amazon list). In the book, he went way into the past as well, and then back to the future. Hmmm. Catchy title for something someday. ;)

But in both cases at the end, you're left with him going from whenever he is, towards the future.

And he could have stopped & gone back to get the locket, so come on. You forget HG? Your sitting in a $&^(%ing TIME MACHINE!

But boy, if that isn't the original sequel foot-in-the-door set up if ever there was one.

The Über-Morloc's are still around & one finds H.G.'s long ago, hidden & forgotten machine in "<untitled>".

Or, the great grandkinder of HG and Weena stumble onto gramps old time machine stashed away in the attic, and adventure ensues in "Honey, I ....".

The writers are already on strike in Hollywierd, and the actors and directors are lined up to assure it stretches out, so we might as well have fun with things, ya know?

In many ways, your lucky to have only a few stations to deal with.

Oh, btw & perhaps you've heard, but there's another "Planet of the Apes" feature going, or already into post.
Loved the music in the movie, and enjoyed the movie as a whole quite a lot.

New planet of the apes, didn´t know actually, but I can´t say I am all that surprised, still a lot you could cook up within a monkey business.
I really liked the last one, war for the planet of the apes, liked the story, visuals, music, acting..so for me it actually was one of the better ones.

Well NOW ya tell me John. Think I got it for ~ $5.

But I've a lead on the greenhouse by the same artist.

Its still there by Tron as well as some of his others all in LightWave

Try and search for it with search strings like time machine, timemachine, time-machine and see how lucky you are, or by category.
for me it was just hopeless to try and find it, not sure how you got to find it.

I even searched the site within google search, but hen I couldn´t find it..but now when searching it..it is there, usually I am good at finding things, but this one escaped me, until now.
But no need for me to look for it or download it once again, it was there on free3D, and it seems to be the very same model.

Pretty sure it's the same model.

If you do pick it up, (although looksasif you have it already have from another source), be curious what you discover when putting in a known scaled figure.

My Blu-ray arrived minutes ago so can make some more source reference captures.

The one I downloaded from free3D, is at over 1,8 km in Y-scale.
So I would just start by replacing the km values with meter values and use absolute size and lock that channel, so the rest follows.
As to what I can see on movie refs, when Guy Pearce is standing next to it, it seems almost as high as he is tall (1.79)
Well..at least from the platform where the chair is and where his feet is placed, if he stood up that height would be equal probably to the end height of the machine.
One would have to add maybe almost one meter for the bottom part from which it stands upon.

make a daz figure or dummy the same size in height as Pearce, pose match it to where he sit´s on the machine from movie clips, and extract the referenced size for the rest.

So that I think would be enough, the one you made however..is much larger, which doesn´t match the movie prop scale for the 2002 version.

time machine dimensions.jpg
36124053070_213d2fe335_b.jpg

guy-pearce-the-time-machine-2002-2JHKYNC.jpg

Last edited:
i would go for 2.71 meters :)

guy pearce scale at 1.79cm +1, so I just went with 1.80
and made a box that height and lining up from the bottom of his feet roughly, so you can see the height is almost the same as the top end part of the machine.
Then made another box from that section to the ground where the inner stand is located and lined up, that gives some extra 91.69 cm to add to that
( the bottom selected box, the other top box is 1.80 cm in size)

So I would just use absolute size, bounding box and set the y scale to 2,71 meters, and use locked values, click ok to re-scale.
give and take a few cm where I haven´t lined up perfectly, and depending on how thick his shoe soles are. :)

reference scale.jpg

Attachments

• reference scale.jpg
    reference scale.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 97
meh..after reviewing it more, I would probably increase the scale of the machine to 3 meters and 80 centimeters.
with a daz figure set to 1.8 meters, and scaling the backdrop to have Pearce match roughly the proportions, especially the head..it was needed to upscale the machine, roughly matching the end panels.
While the daz figure is sitting up straight, not slouching, and not with legs stretched relaxed as Pearce does in the clip, it serves good enough for reference.
So upscaled it to that dimension mentioned, and the chair also matched better in scale to that of the ref image.

scale ref.jpg

But I should really be pre-summer cleaning, or just go to bed now :)

Tee, hee, hee. Now try putting your model in the chair. Comfortably.
Nope, he has to sit like that, I took the fastes way of testing a figure, which do not include firing up daz or other programs or layout, just modeler 2015 open, so a none rig had to do, just loaded a model already exported, and broke his legs.

So..no time for posing and rigging now, later when I have other projects going, Ik Booster would probably do fine with that task anyway, especially with genesis figures, though the latest 9 genesis I have yet to test that on, or for a still, just import back the chair to daz and pose the figure there.

In the end though, I think I will discard any character work and rendering in Lightwave and go with blender, in the case I need hair and faster renders.

You cruel person. :) A sitting pose is easy, but that's why I have Stan.

But, not quite what I meant. With the machine scaled to the figure, the figure doesn't fit the chair. At least that's what I'm finding.

You cruel person. :) A sitting pose is easy, but that's why I have Stan.

But, not quite what I meant. With the machine scaled to the figure, the figure doesn't fit the chair. At least that's what I'm finding.
yes..it´s very easy in terms of how to do it, both with IK booster or in Daz.. but time was of factor, and posing would have taken longer time as I said. :)

The figure was close to the proportions of Guy Pearce, but only close, the posing of course don´t fit the chair, that wasn´t the purpose of that figure, only as scale reference.

But I mostly use a monkey, not a stan...
who knows, it may end up in a future planet of the apes :)

The question is always, who to send, when and where.
Quick test shading of that model, haven´t gone through all surfaces yet..

time machine for the apes.jpg

Pretty sure it's the same model.

If you do pick it up, (although looksasif you have it already have from another source), be curious what you discover when putting in a known scaled figure.

My Blu-ray arrived minutes ago so can make some more source reference captures.
Yeah it appears to be the same model.

Back