The War of the Worlds 1934

Kaptive

Ello. I've not been on here much. I guess since the buy out and the total inaction, I've not really looked much. I came back following a post by Erikals on his YT page.
And as I was here, i thought, "I've been working on loads of things", and it occured to me that some of you lot might actually enjoy seeing a bit of new Lightwave work.
It's all in LW2019.1.3

Anyhoo... the work. Well, I've started a YT/Rumble/Twitter channel where I'm retelling the War of the Worlds in my own way. It actually started because I was asked to do a few animations for a local theatre production of the radio play, and they wanted to jazz it up a bit and the venue had a projector. As a long time fan of all the various versions (more the old ones, like the book, the Orson Wells radio play, and the 1953 film) I threw myself into it, and had a load of fun.

But after the 2 performances, it seemed like such a waste to not put it out there for others to enjoy. So thats when I thought to get it online. But not only that, I wanted to expand on it.
I'll be working on this and adding new vids for at least the next year, and I've got a few plans beyond that so long as I can find the time and stay interested in it.

It's set in 1934/35 and presents an alternative timeline. Anyway, I'll shut up now and actually show you what I've been doing. It won't be the most amazing work you've ever seen, but it's just fun, and i simply want people to enjoy it for what it is. I'm having to work pretty fast, so using as many tricks as I can and on zero budget (as well as utilising 20+ years of models I've made).

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for taking a look, and if you fancy following the story along, please do sub to the channel. It's all Lightwave with a dash of Davinci Resolve. And if you have any ideas for what you'd like to see, please let me know. I just want it to be a fun exploration of the story with a few twists of my own. Oh, and happy new year to you all, Merry last Christmas, and Happy birthdays all round.

Kris

Wonderful stuff. That does sound fun.

Where's your local theatre & are you using a digital projector?

Oh, for this production it was a local village hall here in the midlands UK. I can't tell you what kind of projector it was. It was digital, if you mean as opposed to an actual film projector, yes. I was just thankful it worked at all :) It was touch and go for a bit.

It's an amateur dramatic group, but they're rather good. I'm trying to get involved with some local things. The audience loved the extra mile though. I'm doing something similar for their next production. I'm running a bit short on time though, so I'd better get on with it!

Theres actually a guy here in the town making a brand new theatre, which hopefully will become the permanent home for the troop, and I imagine that will have some great equipment, as I think he wants to do film screenings there too. So that might be a good set up for doing some more interesting stuff. The equipment for the War of the Worlds certainly wasn't great... but it was good enough.

I've never tried doing animation for a live event against actors. It's a very different task. I actually had to emerge from my hole and in to daylight. I nearly caught fire.

I came back following a post by Erikals on his YT page.

Z52PF5D.gif

those are Awesome! Kirk
bcwLfNX.gif

you could perhaps even make a movie, unsure if Copyright © still flies after all those years
tJGL61i.png

That's what I meant. To take it to 35mm is pretty expensive. Always has been.

A DLP is on my wish list certainly.

That's also great that you've local interest to do something like that. Give's one incentive certainly.

Yeah, transfer to 35mm is certainly way beyond my zero budget :) My budget is essentially my time lol

re:Erikals movie: Yeah, without doubt I'm going to string it all together into something much bigger at the end. Might even get some of the actors in the local group to play some parts to give it a narrative and hold it together. Regarding copyright, honestly, Im not sure. It's a pleasure project. but my version is WarOfTheWorlds1934, and is going to take some different turns and is set in a different time to the original work. Hopefully that is enough to avoid any issues.
I've seen low budget WOTWs films out there like "War of the Worlds: The next Wave" etc, and so I think it should be fine.
Also glad you liked :)

I've just subbed.

I can't wait to see how this journey of yours develops.

It's so great that you've chosen to use Lightwave to realise your vision and I have to say, given your eye for capturing the period, I'm very excited to see what you'll come up with for your alternate WOTW.

Exciting stuff. You sir, are really quite gifted.

Ahhhh! I saw your comment and sub on the channel... and I was like... I know that name, but I couldn't work out why. Now I'm here, I realise why it was familiar!
Thank you for the lovely comment, that really means a lot. I'm currently helping out with the local pantomime, and I'm having to make swords for pirates, music for the singers, and I've got about 2 weeks to animate a short segment of dancing skeletons. For some stupid reason, I decided to start the WOTWs channel right in the middle of it all.

Clearly I like stress. Or I'm a bit stupid. Probably both lol.

But I'm going to try and slip in a couple of vids in that time. I've got one ready to go, but it needs a linking animation first. So as long as I can get that one done, I can get the main one up. Cross them fingers for me :)

Oh, and if the dancing skeletons animation is any good, I'll post that up here for a laugh. Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated Shabazzy!

You've most likely seen this series from the book and easy enough to find:

View attachment 154863
You know, I have seen some of these pics about, but I've never seen the source. It's an interesting design against the rest of the image. It has a cartoonish aspect. Great images though. Looking around, it's amazing how many people are inspired by the story. I've noticed a fair few teen lads following my YT account. I've got to assume it's the age where they first read the book.
I've seen them post these pics up as well. Thanks for sharing, as I don't think I've seen it at this scale. I'll be popping that in my reference folder!

I've had them for some time, a few years (30 images).

Try searching on:

Henrique Alvim Corrêa’s Illustrations for The War of the Worlds (1906)

I posted that one as it obviously has notes for cropping notes.

Cheers. Yeah, I've got too many ideas and not enough time. Glad you like the sound! It's one of my favourite parts.
I have a bit of a fascination with the original Fantasia movie that Walt Disney made. Specifically, the dinosaur portion of the movie, The Rite of Spring sequence. I’ve been recreating my version in LW in that style. You’ve inspired me to continue with it.

I have a bit of a fascination with the original Fantasia movie that Walt Disney made. Specifically, the dinosaur portion of the movie, The Rite of Spring sequence. I’ve been recreating my version in LW in that style. You’ve inspired me to continue with it.
Oooo. I'd LOVE to see that. 👌👌👌

Oooo. I'd LOVE to see that. 👌👌👌
I think I stopped because I got to the point where I needed a couple more dinosaur models that I don’t have. Plus, my rigging skills have gotten a bit rusty. Nothing like animating a model that isn’t rigged properly.

maybe I’ll post what I have so far. It isn’t much.

Oh yes, you really should! What a fantastic piece to work on. Love the music and the sequence. Nice and gloomy atmosphere too.

I think I stopped because I got to the point where I needed a couple more dinosaur models that I don’t have. Plus, my rigging skills have gotten a bit rusty. Nothing like animating a model that isn’t rigged properly.

maybe I’ll post what I have so far. It isn’t much.
I can relate on all points. I've spent my spare time creating old buildings because I realised I don't really have all the things I need. It can really throw off the pace. But once they're done they're done. Dinos are such funny animals that rigging is a bit more work than normal too.

Back