The Tank Tread Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook discussion >

excerpt > Kevin Quattro
Treads are always a challenge. The REAL stinger though is, treads, suspension, wheels and sprockets.
You need all that working together and I've yet to see it done in a practical useful way for multiple animation use. (a quality rig in LW)

3DSMax has some amazing automation tools for dynamics once you have a working tank rig.
You can just drive it over terrain and the entire thing reacts with weight and animation. Amazing stuff. All WAY over my head.

Last edited:

chain move plugin was used. (paid 2018 plugin (v2.0) is unfortunately not available anymore, free 2015 plugin (v1.3) however is)
relativity for the wheels was used.

read more >
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkcLNAb9Z0

update 2024, unsure if this trick worked with Motion Blur

Last edited:

download plugin at - https://walen.se
should work in LW11+
not tested in LW2018+

this is a tank rig "only"... not animated treads . (the tread animation you see is using the old morph-trick, afaik)

Erikals, thanks for this thread. Elsewhere I saw a user being a bit sharp about a "missing" LW tutorial or technique for tank tracks, but I have no idea which one he meant. Did maybe Splinegod, or someone else do one ? :)

Erikals, thanks for this thread. Elsewhere I saw a user being a bit sharp about a "missing" LW tutorial or technique for tank tracks, but I have no idea which one he meant. Did maybe Splinegod, or someone else do one ? :)
Just a guy that seemed pissed that "probably" his own tutorial wasn´t in the list from erikals, but I am not going to support narcissism and tell you his name.

Erikals, thanks for this thread. Elsewhere I saw a user being a bit sharp about a "missing" LW tutorial or technique for tank tracks...
Bryan Philips claimed he made the Best One, and got angry about it not being listed.
He ended it in a sexual oriented personal attack. Bryan's age? Above 13.
But for the curious ones, his channel is > www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBXFQoLjnM

B8QSFA7.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that. I was deliberately not naming anyone, but didn't realise he was talking about his own one (!).. :)

it is a real shame, a talented guy.
unsure why he can't step on the brakes. But history made it so, somehow.
hope to see his change down the line.

Lastly Larry gets into the tracks where he not only models them but he also shows you
how to use expressions and dynamics to animate them in LightWave 3D as well.
interesting.
2TMv2Ms.gif

my guess is that this is close to using the Relativity modifier for the wheels,
and ClothFX or SoftFX for the treads, using Metalink.

i might give SoftFX + Metalink a test-run later on...

Last edited:

i think there are some hints here/there.

Lino made a Car / 6 wheeler / Bullet Rig in LW2015
this would also apply to a Tank Tread Rig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back