The Importance of Protecting Your Creations and Intellectual Property

fashion

This thread sort of relates to the one started by @shrox how AI steals job out of his town.

Whether in the past, present or future, protection of intellectual property will be of utmost importance whether it's AI or something else which comes along.

Here's a letter or 2 from the Creator of Superman, and how he was essentially robbed of his Star Creation and livelihood:

sup428.11.jpg

And even Siegel's wife wrote/lamented about their situation:

sup434.1.jpg

In his most important earning years and later in life Jerry Siegel along with his creator Schuster fell into abject poverty while the owners of their creation, Superman, made milions for DC (National) comics. All told through the years, the earnings of Superman might be in the Billions, exceeding the Gross National Product of some nations.

I think the concerns which @shrox brought up are not trivial and AI is just another 'DC' that threatens to step and gobble up the creations of artists and writers.
The threat of AI is not something to be taken lightly. And they have to stand up to this threat, lest they become the next Siegel/Schuster or have the misfortune of ending up in some unmarked grave like Mozart did.

By the way, I spotted these Superman letters in an online auction and I wanted to buy them because they illustrate the plight of 'The Poor Starving Artist' since the beginning of time.

I could be OK with that.
IN the case of Mozart, he died destitute and of TB.

As for Siegel and Schuster, they got a small pension, a pittance actually

And the pension provided didn't care of Schuster's medical needs as he was in poor health during his later years.

Meanwhile DC wined and dined on their creation.

DC Comics were exceedingly ruthless and also destroyed their competitors and ran the creators of Captain Marvel (Fawcett) out of the comics business when they wrongly claimed that He was their property. However this was later disputed by Marvel and the judge ruled that DC didn't own this character but Marvel did.

Same time I see the parallel between unbridled greed/capitalism of AI and DC.

Last edited:
IN the case of Mozart, he died destitute and of TB.

As for Siegel and Schuster, they got a small pension, a pittance actually

And the pension provided didn't care of Schuster's medical needs as he was in poor health during his later years.

Meanwhile DC wined and dined on their creation.

DC Comics were exceedingly ruthless and also destroyed their competitors and ran the creators of Captain Marvel (Fawcett) out of the comics business when they wrongly claimed that He was their property. However this was later disputed by Marvel and the judge ruled that DC didn't own this character but Marvel did.

Same time I see the parallel between unbridled greed/capitalism of AI and DC.
Yes, I got a pittance for the Star Trek calendars, but I can put Star Trek on my resume. I don’t know if Gene Roddenberry's estate gets any from the sales, he was doing the original series in a very different legal atmosphere.

Hmm. There's a lot to unpack here.

I haven't really read @shrox 's AI thread, but from the tone of this thread, I completely agree with the importance of protecting your I.P.

I have learnt however, that most artists are not a) comfortable, b) interested, c) educated in how to make money from their I.P. They are generally more interested in the artform itself.

They have a tendency to believe that "if they make it (the work that is), the money will come". They actually believe that their work has any intrinsic value and that it is the work itself that makes money.

They couldn't be any further from the truth.

Starving artists, starve because they lack any business acumen. They don't know how to sell their work or their name. They don't know how to build a brand identity. They don't know how to build their reputation for excellence.

Business people do.

While it's heartbreaking to hear the stories of Joe and Jerry and many other artists, inventors, creators who died penniless, the fact of the matter is they all had one thing in common.

They didn't know how to profit from their talent.

And that's on them, no one else. It's not like they couldn't have learnt. They just chose not to.

In contrast, there are artists, like Todd McFarlane, who saw what Marvel were doing to artists and knew that artists were getting a raw deal, so he decided to do something about it. He created Image Comics to publish and make sure that artists had the opportunity to profit from their own I.P.

Same thing happened with Atari. Atari's programmers saw how Atari were stiffing them and so they broke free and created their own publishing company called Activision.

With A.I. being just around the corner of becoming mainstream, the same rules apply for artists today. Either learn how to do business, or die penniless. Don't blame progress for your bad situation, blame yourselves.

Last edited:
I could be OK with that.

Me too, otherwise there will be those devil buffy slayer/fighters looking for me with a stake to run through my heart because I am a creature of the night.:devilish:😁
Reading up on property rights, marketing..and branding yourself isn´t a bad Idea.

I think in those older days there was a harsher climate around this, and less governed rules regulating rights for artists and such.
Tragic story about the Superman Creators, the comic figure was my first and best Superhero, yes..I did that to..put on a red towel over my blue pyjamas, and leaped from the couch, and boy did I fly :)
Kal-El = Voice of God.
MichaEL (my name) = who is like God.

Nice story about the creation of Superman and some troubles Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster had, and the climate during cold war etc.
I still haven´t researched why all those LL are there, Lex Luthor, Lana Lang, Lois Lane...perhaps..

So Prometheus Entertainment gives you...

Last edited:
A new technology from the University of Chicago is intended to protect artists from infringment by AI:

A new technology from the University of Chicago is intended to protect artists from infringment by AI:

Apparently it protects the image by ruining it. It has trouble maintaining smooth gradients, a great deal of banding occurs with more detailed images, users I know say.

Back