Steampunk

steamthunk

HardCore Non-planar User
Been drawn back to yet another attempt at comics lately. Here is a character concept I've been working on for one of the heroes of a steampunk universe I've been developing. A wealthy Industrialist who is missing a hand from an industrial accident. Nearly finished with this one.

TabletPC and Alias Sketchbook; Poser for the (umm) pose because foreshortening is a pain. :cool:

Attachments

• IndBW.png
    IndBW.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 856
Look Great! and by the way I am very biassed as Steampunk is one of my favorite genres. I've been think about doing a something with the haltone shader.

Yeah! Well done. I definitely enjoy the bold outlines. I think my only crit would be that the buckle on the strap across his chest seems a little to straight-on, like it doesn't match the perspective of his chest there. Maybe it's just me though.

I can't wait to see the rest of your heroes.

rak: yeah Steampunk rocks, but its an intricate aesthetic that requires added research for sure. I assume you've checked out steampunkmagazine.com.

bass: Yes I agree on the buckle bit. I'll rework that when I finish inking the piece. Can't believe I missed that.

I've got a few more pieces I'm working on that I'll keep posting. I want to do some of these characters again in LW, but I'll probably only use them as starting points for inking. Maybe coloring too. Seems very difficult to capture an organic style that doesn't look too 3D.

steamthunk,

I totally agree about the research. It's not easy to get the aesthetics right if you don't have a good reference point. I have file folders nested in file folders of image searches I have done on the internet. Right now I am burning up a lot of shoe leather taking pictures of Victorian and edwardian homes in San Francisco. I think I have spent more time researching than drawing though :)

Yeah teh steam punk look is such a great look. I need to go look at some samples and try a few things out. I love the whole Jules Verne, HG Wells retro era thing.

Nice character steamthunk :thumbsup:

I LOVE this image. Great work there. Steampunk rules. :D

The only thing I think I would add, is a steam compression chamber, backpack style to really give it that Steampunk feeling of overbearing hugeness when it comes to the tech. I mean, how else is that hand going to be powered, right? :)

OoooooKkkkkkkkk, this is becoming a really good resource thread for Steampunk reference.

rakker16mm, that was an awesome link. :thumbsup:

I was wondering if we should we start another thread for Steampunk links and all things related because I really don't like highjaking any ones thread. Any way I think I have a bunch of links some where on one of my hard drives. if not I am sure I can still find most of the websites again.

rakker16mm said:
I was wondering if we should we start another thread for Steampunk links and all things related because I really don't like highjaking any ones thread. Any way I think I have a bunch of links some where on one of my hard drives. if not I am sure I can still find most of the websites again.

You didn't hijack it, your contribution was totally on topic. You injected it with more inspiration.

I'll maybe move it to another thread though. I think it will definitely be a good one to add links to. Your ideas are good and considerate.

Argh! Five minute edit limit. Tzan you are right about Datamancer he's the best. You might also like the mouse on http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com...20/img_0616-2/

I'm thinking of steampunking my 12" powerbook since the case got trashed in a fall and the battery is pretty much history as well. It should look a bit like a Royal or Underwood when I am finished.... if I actually do it :D

More Sketches

Cool links! :hat: I didn't know there was so much steampunk interest here. Keep posting them as far as I'm concerned. Heck the post title is even correct!

Here are some more concepts I've been working on over the last week. A larger portrait I might use for modeling and a sketch of the spiritualist/medium character. The latter is just in "pencils" stage. I dialed down the ornateness of the dress partly out of laziness and partly because Victorian women's fashion does not appeal to me that much. I went for a more modest Gibson girl look mixed in what I thought her character might wear as a faux gypsy costume. Still much in progress.

rak: I have had the tendency to get research burn-out in the past and never actually get to the project so I hear ya. There's a lot of Victorian era stuff in the Boston area (I live in one) so its going to be easy to get some architecture shots come time. Trick is to find some interiors. :)

Attachments

• IndustrialistPortrait_001.png
    IndustrialistPortrait_001.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 579
  • Medium-002.png
    Medium-002.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 602
rakker16mm said:
I'm thinking of steampunking my 12" powerbook since the case got trashed in a fall and the battery is pretty much history as well. It should look a bit like a Royal or Underwood when I am finished.... if I actually do it :D

This thread had me checking the prices of typewriter keys on Ebay yesterday. Although I dont think I have the time to start a project like this now. I'm certain I could do it.

Clothing:
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/index.php?from=topnav

Cool stuff there. I love steampunk and your sketches are...just waiting to be modeled.

My current side project is actually a cheapo electric guitar I bought at a pawn shop; I'm converting it to steampunk, or at the least some sort of retro-punk. Exposed pickups, wingnut knobs, etc. Looks pretty cool so far. I'm wondering if I should remove the pickguard and fill the recess with mechanical parts (and a built-in effects pedal).

Cool stuff, steamthunk!

inigo07 said:
Cool stuff there. I love steampunk and your sketches are...just waiting to be modeled.

My current side project is actually a cheapo electric guitar I bought at a pawn shop; I'm converting it to steampunk, or at the least some sort of retro-punk. Exposed pickups, wingnut knobs, etc. Looks pretty cool so far. I'm wondering if I should remove the pickguard and fill the recess with mechanical parts (and a built-in effects pedal).

Cool stuff, steamthunk!

You might also use the original pickgard as a template and cut out some coper sheet and do some deep etching and plating. Jake Von Slaat has a great section on etching and plating on his Steampunk Workshop.

On the other hand if you go to an electronics store, even Fry's you can buy the etching solution [ I think it's Ferric ] and some photoresist. Then you just need a piece of glass, some transparencies and a nice sunny day. For my transparencies I use Scotch 3M 501 for plain paper copiers, but there are a lot of other possibilities. Just remembers that the photoresist can't represent continuos tones so if you want to represent a grey scale you need to get it into halftones first. Fortunately we have a great halftone shader in LightWave. If you haven't checked out WilliamVaughan's tutorial is definitely worth a look.

So the work flow would look something like this. Build your Steampunk models > Create a scene in Layout > Render the scene using the Halftone Shader > Print out a transparency > Prepare the coper sheet > Expose to sunlight > Etch > Plate if desired > Salt to taste ;)

Oh yeah don't forget to keep the transparencies for when people see your excellent creation and want you to make them one just like it $$$

Last edited:
steamthunk said:
Cool links! :hat: I didn't know there was so much steampunk interest here. Keep posting them as far as I'm concerned. Heck the post title is even correct!

Here are some more concepts I've been working on over the last week. A larger portrait I might use for modeling and a sketch of the spiritualist/medium character. The latter is just in "pencils" stage. I dialed down the ornateness of the dress partly out of laziness and partly because Victorian women's fashion does not appeal to me that much. I went for a more modest Gibson girl look mixed in what I thought her character might wear as a faux gypsy costume. Still much in progress.

rak: I have had the tendency to get research burn-out in the past and never actually get to the project so I hear ya. There's a lot of Victorian era stuff in the Boston area (I live in one) so its going to be easy to get some architecture shots come time. Trick is to find some interiors. :)

Your drawings are great. I like the girl especially. I do think she would have a bit of a reputation for revealing that much of her shoulders, but it could be said that is in keeping with the gypsy look. The guy looks great too but the period seems a bit modern. I can't quite put my finger on it. It may just be that the bow tie reminds me of a tuxedo which makes me think of James Bond.

It's definitely a great resource to live in a city with historic buildings. I always bring my camera with, when ever I am walking around SF. Some times people start to get a little suspicious though after I take 20+ pics of their house LOL. If you are interested perhaps we could swap pictures.

For interiors you might check out websites of people who restore Victorian and Edwardian era buildings. There is one here in San Francisco you might want to check out - http://www.sfvictoriana.com/

Also I came across another promising website when I accidently typed in - http://www.victoriana.com/

Back