Steampunk raygun

Okay so I'm verrrry impatient :D. Don't mean to step on toes....

I took a shot (pun intended :eek:hmy:)..... View attachment 122532. And one with a little more "action" View attachment 122545.

Method:
Lay it out flat and bend.
1) Started with one half-capsule rotated. Made a copy. View attachment 122533
2) Bridged between the two.... View attachment 122534
3) ... in order to get this "unit". View attachment 122535
4) Arrayed the unit to get a line of six. View attachment 122536

5) Bend it like Beckham. :)

Still interested in ANS' method.

Attachments

• Picture 927.png
    Picture 927.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Picture 929.png
    Picture 929.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 485
  • Picture 930.png
    Picture 930.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 489
  • Picture 931.png
    Picture 931.png
    13 KB · Views: 473
  • Picture 932.png
    Picture 932.png
    69 KB · Views: 513
  • Picture 933.png
    Picture 933.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Yeah I'm also curious xD

My guess... maybe it was some spline stuff? Like "wrapping" it around with a spline with lathe or whatever... then making it have volume then boolean or sth? xD

We need the answer :<

EDIT:

My gf thinks that MAYBE the OP simply made it all straight, with the indentations originally horizontal as in ordinary pistol and then twisted the whole thing, the cylinder with the horizontal indentations into the diagonal ones... BUT she later said that the ends of the indentations don't seem to confirm this theory, so again, just a guess xD

Last edited:
Sorry for being late, i was out of town. And I was looking for work ;/
But anyway, i created this drum in similiar way as explained XswampyX :)

View attachment 122650

1. Create half-capsule and make additional loops inside&outside... (I stretched it a little vertically- I don't want too deep cavities in my drum...)
2. Create a plane and divide it to parts ( i made 48), check how much lines intersect through capsule sides (in my case- 7-red circles) and divide capsule sides...
3. Clone capsules evenly and cut 2 protruding ones and remove unnecessary parts, and perform booleans operations :) In my case I needed outside capsules to be extended (red arrow)- it's a LW VooDoo :) - without this LW Booleans fails in my case :(
4. Clean mesh after booleans- remove unnecesary parts, merge points, weld vertices from outside capsules loops to the nearest lying on the horizontal lines.. divide n-gons to quads&triangles...
5. Bend it :) and clean connection- make again quads like in orginal capsule (welding, merging polygons, remove unnecesary vertices...)
And you're done.Sorry for my english, maybe I don't make it clear enough....

Attachments

• diagonal_drum.jpg
    diagonal_drum.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 491
Back