Statues - Batman, Superman, Transformers +++

Nice ones, a bit bigger than the normal kid statue maquettes.
I wonder how much of that is manual sculpting or 3D modeled/sculpted and printed?

Wouldn´t it be nice to have statues become more trendy again on the streets, or facade details, the things we could do with modern sculpt tools, procedural modelling and perhaps materials.
The old stonemasery is otherwise almost dead it seems.
The old classics still a beauty, roughly two years to make, 1501-1504

R.c7069f6bf225056b5950a745de8a46b4

Last edited:

Wouldn´t it be nice to have statues become more trendy again on the streets, or facade details,

Absolutely. In our time, it should be cheap, and easy to make.
But architects don't care for it.
People care for it, but not architects.

Absolutely. In our time, it should be cheap, and easy to make.
But architects don't care for it.
People care for it, but not architects.
Artists are no more in the equation of city/urban building as they once was, at most park installations, museums perhaps.
Artists´and Architects are not of the same breed anymore.
Function over form rules nowadays, having batman or gargoyles in the buildings, well..might scare some kids, but not much function other than that.

And even if artist were to be hired, it may be most likely they adapt, or are chosen to do it by a certain guideline that rules out the classic form of body statures.
Back in the days..
R.327764d0725f87cd17ce9f23886ca178

Artists´and Architects are not of the same breed anymore.

agree on the Architects.
there are still fantastic Artists today, but they are rarely paid to create Beautiful Ornaments / Statues.

hope to see "old times" once again.

agree on the Architects.
there are still fantastic Artists today, but they are rarely paid to create Beautiful art.

hope to see "old times" once again.

The classic stone masonery for facades, castles with statues etc, too expensive, to long time to make, and not following the rules of function over form, so I wonder if these new techniques with 3D printing could overcome at least the expensive cost, and time to make, with proper big 3D printers and segmenal fusioning of the parts, that could probably be done to some degree, it would then have to overcome the "function over form" strict rules of modern architecture.

Would be nice to see some of it, especially since we could do so much more today with genodes, geometrical nodes, parametric modeling and repetitive art that is growing on surfaces and such, advanced shapes that can yield mathematical expressions along with human, animal, or landscape and natural structure forms, even physical simulations..all that to produce structures, architecture that to some degree will meet the human living with more pleasing environments.

There is a reason people feel comfortable in uneven, natural structures rather than four walls and one floor and roof, we need asymmetry, and symmetry in combination.

They should install the Gollum figure in every church, while the couples are exchanging rings.
Did I miss any michelle pfieffer, thought there was only Anne Hathaway as catwoman in there, and I didn´t see it as any remarkable, not in likeness or somewhere else.
But perhaps I missed it, a timestamp of where it is would be nice.

There is some significant difference in statues of this kind, compared to traditional sculptures..duh, of course, but to mention, not just the subject as modern movie heros, villains compared to greek myths, or other myths in ancient history, the material and color vs no color statues etc.

The overal shape in these stuff is focused mostly on motion and detail, and less about form and general shape weight as they did in the traditional sculptures, in these figures you may get amazed by the amount of detail, but it is also lacking that general main body of mass that are so noticable in older sculptures, which I actually prefer to be the main guiding principles to go for, then invoke the details on the surface of that.

There is some significant difference in statues of this kind, compared to traditional sculptures..duh, of course, but to mention, not just the subject as modern movie heros, villains compared to greek myths, or other myths in ancient history, the material and color vs no color statues etc.
I bet the principles which apply to classical or what you refer to as 'traditional' translate to the digital realm @prometheus. That is - a skilled sculturist could use the digital tools found in ZBrush to produce a virtual version of a traditional sculpture.

Y'know I bought this 3 volume set years ago by someone named Eduaord Lanteri.

BookReaderImages.php

In retrospect I'm glad I did. Because it's a first edition set printed way back when and rare/hard to find.

Expensive too as the 3 volume set in poor condition sells for $350 USD/euros:

He published it sometime in the late 19th to early 20th century. And he had a complete set of manuals on how to produce everything from the human figure to animals right up to archiecturel ornamention found on buildings (friezes etc.).

Anyways, the books are in 3 volumes and can be purchased as an e-book at this link:

Not sure how reliable this link is, but I just saw it and I might buy the digital set and download it.
I got the physical set, but an electronic one would be nice to have as well. Others here might be interested if they use programs like Z-Brush, 3D coat or Mudbox because Lanteri explains all of the fundamentals of classiclal/traditional sculpture in them.

or here's an e-book version of the first volume:

Since @erikals brought up the topic, I might be interested in learning at least the basics of traditional sculpture. Something to do my on bucket list.

Last edited:
Thanks fashion, I will look in to that book.

Of course the form principles are valid for digital artists, there is no difference in coordinates of the form other than it is just described in digital form in the digital world, the real world coordinates can be described digital and the digital coordinates has it´s represention in the real world :eek::D.

I always loved sculpt modeling with clay in school, up til high school, and many years ago a little hobby clay and plaster casting, but not really in depth to the level that I could call me a sculptor, neither hobby or proffessional.
I did however scare the sh..t out of a woman around 1992 at work, when I made a fetus, not unlike my avatar, in cernit clay, cooked harden it in the oven or if I boiled it, can´t recall now, then painted it with some oil colors, so with that white cernit surface and thin pink, red oil to it, it kind of started to look like a real fetus.
I took it to work to showcase a few guys, then put it in the drawer, then another female collegue opened it and saw that fetus there, and not only that..she previously had a miscarriage.

Apart from school lessons, I haven´t done my homework more than buying Lous slobodkins book about sculpting, though that book was lent out and somehow is lost now.
It´s fun to start with small clay figurines in plasteline(plastellina) you can always test some plaster casting on it.
It is responding nicely when carving and pushing, smearing it, depending on how much you make it warm in your hands, for basic appliance build up, you warm it up, to carv fine details and adjust push, you let it cool down ..which it automaticly do after a while if you do not squeeze it, and it maintain the form you give it, there are other hobby clay that sort of doesn´t.

making the final cast from the plaster mold, you could brush paint cover th plaster pores with ordinary green soup on the inside of the first mold which is the negative part, that seals the pores of the mold, then a bit vaseline, very thin, then you can poor additional plaster in that which gives the final cast, then you start to hack away on that till the final product is there, a bit of work to seal it all and make an opening to pour it all in though.

Or use the same dentist material and what makeup artist mostly used for the mold. ..Alignat, which will give you extreme detail.
I have supersculpey to try out..been lying here for many years though.

Last edited:
Of course the form principles are valid for digital artists, there is no difference in coordinates of the form other than it is just described in digital form in the digital world, the real world coordinates can be described digital and the digital coordinates has it´s represention in the real world :eek::D.

..in which case the principles of sculpture apply to industrial design model making or prototyping as well.

I think we could call that 'Industrial Sculpture' since it more represenative of our world than traditional or classical scultpure.

I saw a book on it that I'd like to purchase:

613sWVhioyL._SY385_.jpg

by a guy named Bjarki Hallgrimsson. Is that a Swedish name? Certainly looks Scandinavian.

or perhaps this one too:

...because maybe it might contain a section on industrial design prototyping or modeliing

While there seem to be a lot of books on industrial design sketching or conceptualizing there aren't that many on sculpture or prototyping in this speciality of design

Last edited:
Bjarki hallgrimsson isn´t a very typical "Swedish Name" sounds more icelandic, in fact it´s surenamne is of icelandic origin.
Though this guy seem to have been growing up in Sweden and Africa, but probably ancestry from Iceland.

Why not adapt the style of H.R giger to our buildings, we would have buildings in the style of bone fused, melted parts with mechanical parts..huh, maybe not :)
His art is frightening, sometimes almost perverse sexual threatening, but also beautiful.
H.R giger was also an industry designer...

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__liquor__2017__10__24084719__The-8-Most-Bizarre-Bars-in-the-World-hr-giger-720x720-slideshow-b3e365da9c6e438cb2d83b68185c8f6e.jpg

bar-hr-giger-1600x1113.jpg

There are some interesting videos on how to model in clay, and you can use a muscular magnificient speciment for that..
Well a timelapse anyway..

And since you recently got Zbrush..

Hossein Diba is just fantastic, and so much work he has done, zbrush the main tool..

I'd like ta see if I could sculpt beautiful women digitally @prometheus

...become the Leonardo of zBrush.

Leonardo+Da+Vinci+La+Scapigliata+Poster+Circa+1506+%C2%A0Head+Of+A+Woman+Painting+High+Renaissance+Style+Black+Wood+Framed+Art+Poster+14x20+Framed+On+Paper+by+Leonardo+Da+Vinci+Print.jpg

I always admired how those he painted or sculpted such beautiful women.

Try to avoid that 'Ugly Girl' or HarleyQuinn look eh?

I'd like ta see if I could sculpt beautiful women digitally @prometheus

...become the Leonardo of zBrush.

Leonardo+Da+Vinci+La+Scapigliata+Poster+Circa+1506+%C2%A0Head+Of+A+Woman+Painting+High+Renaissance+Style+Black+Wood+Framed+Art+Poster+14x20+Framed+On+Paper+by+Leonardo+Da+Vinci+Print.jpg

I always admired how those he painted or sculpted such beautiful women.

Try to avoid that 'Ugly Girl' or HarleyQuinn look eh?
One of my favourite drawings by leonardo.

leonardo used silver point and an ocra colored paper, then red led color and ivory black, carefully avoiding the lighter parts I think, that´s a mastery to be able to predict light and shadow like that, it almost feels like the picture crawls out as sculpted from the drawing, the same sense you could almost get in some of H.R gigers drawings/paintings.

The oil color painting layers from davinci was even more layered and comples, several layers of lacquer that had been dried in between, it produced refraction differences I believe, that can produce a different smile based on from which angle you look, as can be seen in Mona Lisa.
The Sfumato effect is however the soft transition between colors mimicking areas beyond that what the human eye is focusing on. (try to acheive that in 3D, you would probably need volumetric layers with some absorbtion,)

Sculpture wise I think Lenoardo may have had some troubles to finish, as Michelangelo taunted him to never get any sculpture finished.
Michelangelo was more sharper in his paintings, more monumental but both were masters in their own right with their expressions.
The creation of adam in rome by michelangelo, that one I think he started to pain, wet on wet layers, and as such you couldn´t erase that easy, and he found out that he was painting to close first without stepping back so it got wrong, and he had to start again I think.
Crazy dude, lived to 88 , died 1564.

Michelangelo I think was a bit of a dirty fellow, hardly taking showers, hardly sleeping I believe, but he won a comission against davinci, who then moved on to France.

Today I would say there are artist that surpasses davinci and leonardo in pure drawing skills, but at that time, and the inventions, the new style they introduced, that was something special.
These new artist will mostly just jump in to the design business, or do concept art..or if they go for the more traditional art, they would need to provide something more than just drawing skills, a style of their own to go along with it, and you need to live, work in the right environment , have the right connections to get recognition.

Last edited:
And you can always study sculptures in Sketchfab, for those that aren´t downloadable you may rotate the figure in various directions and record it for further studies.
The Laocoon group I like, a few there that is downloadable, once you are logged in that is..

So Batman, superman and the new Myth heros of our time, I still prefer the old ones, both in form/shape/expression, and what they represent in reflecting human desires, fears etc.
And..Michelangelo, not sure if he clay sculpted David, Pieta before choppin away at the marble blocks, I think both were made from one marble piece, and for one of them he had to construct a transport system for getting the huge block down to his working quarters.
But just, pick a stone and chomp of pieces of it to get what he did, pretty amazing.

Who made the lacoon group?
probably ...statue was created by three Rhodian sculptors: Agesander, Polydorus, and Athenodorus
The models you can download are the ones with the small arrow to drive icon in the upper right corner.

Laocoon.jpg
pro

Last edited:
So Batman, superman and the new Myth heros of our time, I still prefer the old ones, both in form/shape/expression, and what they represent in reflecting human desires, fears etc.

...Marvel stole Thor from the Scandinavians @prometheus

So I'd say you all in upper Scandinavia are due for a handsome royalty check given their movies' success.

triple or more too since that includes Odin & Loki

...Marvel stole Thor from the Scandinavians @prometheus

So I'd say you all in upper Scandinavia are due for a handsome royalty check given their movies' success.

triple or more too since that includes Odin & Loki

Everyone is stealing from everyone, from the dawn of time, even some aspects the Greek myth prometheus, towards another later more famous person which name I will not utter here.
Greek epic poet Hesiod 's Theogony (507–616 BC)
They often have to suffer for something, Zeus got pi..off, for such simple things like enlighting the mankind with some stuff 😁
There are however far more christians than pagan thor believers nowadays, I myself never got the hammer to wear nor the cross.

Thursday is thor´s day.

Freja, friday.
and so on.

Yeah..that would be something to bring to the court for a real trial, royalty :)

Marvel is mixing the old myths, with modern myths.

did you watch the series Vikings? it had some episodes of the change from Asa faith to Christianity.
but at most, I believe in prometheus, myself that is 😁, though when I was a kid, it was mostly all Superman, and before that...yep, Santa.

Back