Stargate Effects

Pretty nice, but some of my perspective´s on it.

I would have keept the bluish tint as in the original, it adds to the feeling of being water, perhaps color grading it.

And a final reflection, what really makes the original stand out, that is the breakup of water dropplets, to describe it in fact is of that nature, whith pure displacement only, that is what you will think it is in it´s nature.

I think you should try a method of making a fluid sim, either directly with a fluid liquid sim, or gas solver in lightwave, or smoke fluid in blender, when those files are saved to vdb, it can be loaded easy and converted from fog to mesh, and surfaced as that, you would have control over smoothness of the mesh, and droplets breaking up.

With your permission David.

Did some quick editing in post (just eyeing it with the color correction so color isn't like in the film, but close enough).

Using the tonemap in LW, with some added fog as well. Threw a C-log canon LUT in post, and a color wheel flavoring, besides other edits. I think brings the little details up.

Shotcut_00_00_01_125.jpg

With your permission David.

Did some quick editing in post (just eyeing it with the color correction so color isn't like in the film, but close enough).

Using the tonemap in LW, with some added fog as well. Threw a C-log canon LUT in post, and a color wheel flavoring, besides other edits. I think brings the little details up.

View attachment 151715

yes..that is what I ment in regards to the colorscheme, so good post process there, good surface look, it just needs that extra detail on the edges instead being a continueous geometry displacement.

Sample of embergen fluid smoke turned to a mesh sequences, but it was just a basic test, much more should be worked on for it to be where it should be, but with this approach you can get a bit more breakup and detail and also the dynamics being more realistic perhaps.

This is embergen export to vdb, and then just imported to blender and with geometry nodes turning it to a mesh and applying principled material on it, now you could import it to lightwave instead if you have lw 2019 and convert with fog to mesh nodes, and you can choose to simulate in blender with it´s fluid tools or lightwave´s gas solver and save cache vdb, reload and convert with fog to mesh.

Or use blenders fluid solver, or Lightwave´s vdb liquids...I would guess that Lightwave guru could give some nice examples on that since he uses that a lot.

embergen.jpg

volume to mesh1.jpg

And remember David_CGC..you should be able to use this technique entirely with Lightwave ..perhaps, it may take longer time to simulate with the gas solver and a bit more trickier to get right with native openVDB, the principles are the same anyway, and if you have TurbulenceFD for Lightwave etc, simulations would be faster, it exports to VDB as well and you could convert to mesh there as well.

both blender and lightwave have options to filter, smooth the resulting mesh, change adaptivity and thresholds to determine breakup and detail.
for Lw native liquids, maybe check out Lw Guru´s channel a bit more.

yes..that is what I ment in regards to the colorscheme, so good post process there, good surface look, it just needs that extra detail on the edges instead being a continueous geometry displacement.

Sample of embergen fluid smoke turned to a mesh sequences, but it was just a basic test, much more should be worked on for it to be where it should be, but with this approach you can get a bit more breakup and detail and also the dynamics being more realistic perhaps.

This is embergen export to vdb, and then just imported to blender and with geometry nodes turning it to a mesh and applying principled material on it, now you could import it to lightwave instead if you have lw 2019 and convert with fog to mesh nodes, and you can choose to simulate in blender with it´s fluid tools or lightwave´s gas solver and save cache vdb, reload and convert with fog to mesh.

Or use blenders fluid solver, or Lightwave´s vdb liquids...I would guess that Lightwave guru could give some nice examples on that since he uses that a lot.

View attachment 151716

View attachment 151717
That could help yeah. However, the effect/animation happens so quick it's not that noticeable the lack of water droplets around the vortex. Even in the movie you had to pause the vid to see the effect in all its detail.

I remember how incredible those visuals were.

That could help yeah. However, the effect/animation happens so quick it's not that noticeable the lack of water droplets around the vortex. Even in the movie you had to pause the vid to see the effect in all its detail.

I remember how incredible those visuals were.
I have to beg to differ, perhaps my eyes or my mind have a different time perception? I could be a fly in disguise :) ..my genes must have gotten mixed up somewhere in some transporter portal.
But to me I do not have to pause or even slow down the clip to see those details, and that´s on a small clip on the computer, I can notice it very clear and that is what makes it, the details.

A bit cool perhaps when I watched the first movie with Kurt Russel, but I was never a fan of the series, or it´s effect.
And the water pool effect I think just feels a bit boring today.

Makes me think about something different, what could you do instead to portray some kind of a new jumpgate between worlds and bending space and time perhaps?

Indeed after over 25 years im sure someone could come up with something cooler. The SG1 tv series was ok, certainly popular at the time, but it had the usual TV hamperings of money, having said that they had a big budget for the time. The film effect was good, because it was different at the time and how they achieved it was quite remarkable for the time. Got to wonder how it would have looked it the stargate had been the original shape, ie a triangle on its tip, not sure the effect would have worked so well.

Indeed after over 25 years im sure someone could come up with something cooler. The SG1 tv series was ok, certainly popular at the time, but it had the usual TV hamperings of money, having said that they had a big budget for the time. The film effect was good, because it was different at the time and how they achieved it was quite remarkable for the time. Got to wonder how it would have looked it the stargate had been the original shape, ie a triangle on its tip, not sure the effect would have worked so well.

I just think of bending space and time.
I could also think of maintaining the main force tunnel push, but not in the style of water, but a web of light, and bubble segments collapsing in itself, almost like a smoke implode, and a burst of light, and this web of light also connected by various elements, and it should move ala echo time movement, and collapse back.

My biggest problem with the movie effect was the back strudel if i'm honest. Whilst it looks neat it does not seem to go anywhere, it vortex down to a thin thread and then its the back wall, i imagined these people all going through and getting spun around whilst getting a lot smaller very quickly.

At least in the SG1 series they just did away with it all together, so no explanation needed and cheaper which i'm sure was the real main goal anyway. A bit like the matrix effects, different for the time and nice, of course hindsight is a good thing but for the time considering the effect i thought it was not bad. Now with the tech we have even in our own homes we can do a lot better.

Its like Babylon 5, for the time the effects were cutting edge, but viewed now as effects they don't really hold up well in 2021, but for the time and for TV it was an achievement.

. Now with the tech we have even in our own homes we can do a lot better.

Its like Babylon 5, for the time the effects were cutting edge, but viewed now as effects they don't really hold up well in 2021, but for the time and for TV it was an achievement.
Agree.
It could be fun to see what kind of concept portal effects is there in the imaginary minds of LW users here, perhaps something for another thread.
I started some particle effects just testing a bit, but I am too tired today..so bedtime soon, and I have so manyother things on the agenda as well, it´s so easy to give in to
impulses of the imaginary minds, rather than stick to any agenda you may have, it´s like that with inspiration...sometimes you feel you have to catch it before it evaporates in to another dimension, and it may all be lost for ever.

I have to beg to differ, perhaps my eyes or my mind have a different time perception? I could be a fly in disguise :) ..my genes must have gotten mixed up somewhere in some transporter portal.
But to me I do not have to pause or even slow down the clip to see those details, and that´s on a small clip on the computer, I can notice it very clear and that is what makes it, the details.
lol, fly eyes eh? :D Might have to do an animation and see if with the color correction helps. Of course, it's not 100% like in the movie, granted that, but what I was saying the effect is pretty fast to notice, at least in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the eyes too! I have astigmatism, so no fly eyes for me unfortunately 😆

lol, fly eyes eh? :D Might have to do an animation and see if with the color correction helps. Of course, it's not 100% like in the movie, granted that, but what I was saying the effect is pretty fast to notice, at least in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the eyes too! I have astigmatism, so no fly eyes for me unfortunately 😆

I also have astigmatism, but I have no issues what so ever to notice the delicate details on that kawoosh, which in my mind does the trick really, I don´t think it´s a difference matter of how the biology is structured in our eyes, and as noticed, we have astigmatism in common and I doubt I would be blessed with those fly genes in the eyes to be serious.
I do think it has to do with what you are used to during your life and mental state when watching something, experience in life to pay attention to details perhaps, and focus...and perhaps how you analyse images in motion in general.

My reflections are quite fast thought, that I have discovered when catching things that are about to fall, I am very fast of catching things, also playing badminton and react fast, wether that has anything at all to do with perceiving visual motion..that I can´t tell for sure.

I also have astigmatism, but I have no issues what so ever to notice the delicate details on that kawoosh, which in my mind does the trick really, I don´t think it´s a difference matter of how the biology is structured in our eyes, and as noticed, we have astigmatism in common and I doubt I would be blessed with those fly genes in the eyes to be serious.
I do think it has to do with what you are used to during your life and mental state when watching something, experience in life to pay attention to details perhaps, and focus...and perhaps how you analyse images in motion in general.

My reflections are quite fast thought, that I have discovered when catching things that are about to fall, I am very fast of catching things, also playing badminton and react fast, wether that has anything at all to do with perceiving visual motion..that I can´t tell for sure.
I don't think we need fly eyes to be honest. Women wouldn't like us going around with those massive eyes. Well, maybe the woman in that film with the Jurassic Park actor (forgot his name) in the Fly movie, but I digress, we're getting way off topic lol

I don't think we need fly eyes to be honest. Women wouldn't like us going around with those massive eyes. Well, maybe the woman in that film with the Jurassic Park actor (forgot his name) in the Fly movie, but I digress, we're getting way off topic lol

Jeff Goldblum..
He has a thing for ladies and creatures, but just as he felt in the "fly" why bother what women thinks, just take it when you can..if you are a horrible fly that is.
But yeah, we are straying away from the Stargate topics, If you wan´t to discuss flies and other stuff, just mail me :)

And to smooth things over for this topic, I once again urge people to have ideas on new more modern stargate portal effects.

Jeff Goldblum..
He has a thing for ladies and creatures, but just as he felt in the "fly" why bother what women thinks, just take it when you can..if you are a horrible fly that is.
But yeah, we are straying away from the Stargate topics, If you wan´t to discuss flies and other stuff, just mail me :)

And to smooth things over for this topic, I once again urge people to have ideas on new more modern stargate portal effects.
Yeah, that guy. Disgusting movie though. Couldn't eat for a while.

Back