Shakes fist at Newtek!

Full disclosure, I haven't been doing a whole lot of editing in the past few (maybe many) years , but for what I needed to do I found a way to still use SpeedEDIT. Using a super fast machine and rendering everything to SpeedHQ first and I have still been knocking out 1080 projects big bam boom. No problem.

Well now I have to cut some 4k stuff, and no go with SE so I'm forced to learn a "modern NLE".

Well, I say with peace and love... peace and love, d@mn you Newtek for letting this most wonderful piece of video editing software become abandonware! My god doing the most simple things with these other behemoths is purely laborious!! I would already be done with the project and I'm still trying to figure out how to fade in a clip! :/

Anywho.. guess I'll turn my attention back to suffering thru 10 minute you tube tutorials in order to learn how to do something that takes 45 seconds.

Long live SpeedEDIT!

This is coming very late but....

I haven't used SE for a VERY long time but I remember that it was possible to do what you want in SE (i.e., work with 4K) via proxy files.

You would have to convert the 4K files to HD or SD so you would have both the original 4K and the lower resolution (HD or SD) proxy files.

Load the proxy files into SE for editing and when you're ready to render out a final edit, just change to file locations of the proxy files in the edit to point to the 4K version and SE will then use the 4K files for the final render.

Job done.

Back