Shakes fist at Newtek!

Jim_C

We've got it simple.
Shakes fist at NewTek!

Full disclosure, I haven't been doing a whole lot of editing in the past few (maybe many) years , but for what I needed to do I found a way to still use SpeedEDIT. Using a super fast machine and rendering everything to SpeedHQ first and I have still been knocking out 1080 projects big bam boom. No problem.

Well now I have to cut some 4k stuff, and no go with SE so I'm forced to learn a "modern NLE".

Well, I say with peace and love... peace and love, d@mn you Newtek for letting this most wonderful piece of video editing software become abandonware! My god doing the most simple things with these other behemoths is purely laborious!! I would already be done with the project and I'm still trying to figure out how to fade in a clip! :/

Anywho.. guess I'll turn my attention back to suffering thru 10 minute you tube tutorials in order to learn how to do something that takes 45 seconds.

Long live SpeedEDIT!

Last edited:
I hear you.

Keeping SpeedEdit current wouldn't take all that much.

It doesn't have to be a huge investment on NewTek's part. Just a few updates and they'd have yet another product to add to their sale list. Heck, they could just make it a digital download-only app. No paper to print, no boxes, no discs. The only costs would be some coding and a certain amount of user support (in conjunction with the SpeedEdit forum to help reduce the costs of support).

Actually, the entire effects engine was coded around SD, not HD (much less UHD) ... just reworking all of that stuff would be non-trivial. Sorry, guys - I loved it too.

I never used speededit, always used premiere or lately resolve. What was so great about speed edit? Are there any youtube vids showing its coolness? Just interested.

SpeedEdit was an attempt to make a very quick video editor with a simplified interface that uses as few clicks as possible to get the job done. It included a number of time-savers like bulk application of fades, quick cuts to music, near-real-time inter-format clip rendering, and rapid clip re-arrangement. A nice, efficient program. A bit more refinement to the spline graph and the text tools and it would be pretty much perfect.

Here's a video showing a bit of how the interface works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIF7R2nSUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5cwLfzXVu4

Last edited:
Fusion is a very good median editor

with the bonus that LW/F
usion tutorials are available

@ libertyt3d.com (and Mr.rid uses it too)!

I use Vegas and Resolve, but for HD projects that need to get out in a hurry, I use SE because it's fast and a real lifesaver. A couple of years ago, I had to edit some footage (can't remember the format) that neither Vegas or Resolve would accept. You guessed it, SE had no problem with that footage. Compared with the power and simplicity of SE, I find Vegas and Resolve workable but clunky and over complicated.

Vegas is horrible imo. :)

Yeah, agree Resolve ain't the fastest. though darn powerful.

by the way, for quick and dirty cutting video, try Video ReDo TVsuite
it doesn't re-compress the entire video, so saving an edited file (even at 1GB) takes seconds.

Video ReDo TVsuite looks too simple for the kind of multi-layer and special effects work that is so easy for me to do with SE and color correction I do with Resolve.

oh yes, definitely! :)

its an addition for super fast cut-export, (exports in seconds instead of hours)
fMb2Mjm.gif

--- but not an alternative for editing, that's for SE/HF/DR

Last edited:
NewTek Sold

Full disclosure, I haven't been doing a whole lot of editing in the past few (maybe many) years , but for what I needed to do I found a way to still use SpeedEDIT. Using a super fast machine and rendering everything to SpeedHQ first and I have still been knocking out 1080 projects big bam boom. No problem.

Well now I have to cut some 4k stuff, and no go with SE so I'm forced to learn a "modern NLE".

Well, I say with peace and love... peace and love, d@mn you Newtek for letting this most wonderful piece of video editing software become abandonware! My god doing the most simple things with these other behemoths is purely laborious!! I would already be done with the project and I'm still trying to figure out how to fade in a clip! :/

Anywho.. guess I'll turn my attention back to suffering thru 10 minute you tube tutorials in order to learn how to do something that takes 45 seconds.

Long live SpeedEDIT!

I wonder now that Newtek has been sold if we will be seeing a 64bit ,4K compatible ,OFX compliant SpeedEdit in the near future https://www.provideocoalition.com/newtek-purchased-by-vizrt-from-norway/
https://www.provideocoalition.com/newtek-purchased-by-vizrt-from-norway/

You never know. Look what happened when Cakewalk Sonar NLE folded after Gibson filed for Bankruptcy. Bandlabs bought it and resurrected Cakewalk for free and is updated monthly. I am using it today after spending tons of money to buy it over the past 30 years. So, Anne they will release SE

I don't think Steve is lying but you have to use common sense...it's a really really good editor. -S I still use it every day...pretty much. -S

I switched to Vegas, and used Edius and Resolve also.
Still prefer Vegas for its interface, not so much for stability but Resolve also has unstable situations. A lot is related to GPU processing and codec issues but I think these kind of problems should never cause the interface to freeze or simply die, with or without error message. Especially when incompatibilities are known.

I'm still enjoying its (Vegas) scripting capabilities for a tight integration with Layout projects.

I've recommended this integration between Lightwave and SpeedEdit storyboard but unfortunately that never happened.
Funny to see a "new" workflow in Vegas: storyboard representation of the timeline.
Imagine story driven animations and post-processing/editing with SE and LW, both Newtek products.

It could have been a very important new strategy, similar to the integration of Fusion in Resolve.

I absolutely hate vegas. I have tried to use it. I find the pan\zoom so cumbersome that I uninstalled it and never looked back. I loved it in the old days when it was audio only.

I love using Vegas Pro 17...until I don't. :)

I've used Vegas Pro to edit all my personal projects for maybe 15 years now. For me, the UI is very intuitive and it loads just about any format (doesn't like .mov very much though.) I like the new Velocity curve--it makes retiming screen capture footage for 'tutorial' videos much easier for me. Audio editing is very nice too, especially when I'm cutting tightly to a music track.

What I don't like about Vegas Pro: Not being able to zoom in on the playback window is annoying when I'm trying to make tiny adjustments to screen elements; mediocre drawing tools (i.e., filled shapes only, not able to do strokes.) I feel these are pretty basic things that I shouldn't have to jump into a compositing program for. Vegas Pro also has a few stability issues that have been around for many years.

Sometimes I get tempted to switch to Premiere since I'm already paying for it (through CC.) But then I remember all the reasons I left Premiere for Vegas all those years ago.

For now, I'm mostly satisfied with using Vegas Pro so I'll keep using it. I'd like to check out Resolve but I don't have time to mess with another editing program right now.

Last edited:
Back